Weinfb

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got the wonderful email saying that my maverick was just built and shipped. While I wait the final few weeks I was curious what the best option was for my trade in. Sell private, sell to carvana/carmax, or trade in with dealer? I have the title to my car. I want to make sure I get the max value for my car. Trading in a 2014 Cadillac CTS coupe.
Sponsored

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All that depends on what the dealer would give you. Depending on your state, you may not have to pay as much in taxes if you trade it in. It may be better to take less for the car, than to pay more in taxes for your Maverick?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of variables. Traditionally selling your self to an individual was better, but in today's market, who knows. Also how quick to you need to sell, etc. 22MavXLT had some good points. Maybe try https://www.carmigo.io/, they are a sponsor on this forum. Research the options.

OP
OP

Weinfb

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I should have mentioned that this is in NY so the trade in would knock off around half the cost of the truck and subsequently half of the tax (7% I believe) if I were to trade it in.

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Likely private sale, carmax type of place, then dealer.

In my mind the dealer kind of has all the power in the negotiation. If you don’t buy the Mav, they can sell it easily for the same price and likely more.

Will the dealer tell you how much they would give you before the Mav arrives? This way you can know if you need to sell it elsewhere?

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer not only gave me their trade in value for my wife’s 2024 Nissan Murano Platinum, they fingered up the sales tax credit and told me I would $900 over their to make it worthwhile. Even suggested Carvana.

Sure enough Carvana offered us $2k over their trade quote. That’s the route we took.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well if sales tax is 7 percent and dealer trade in offer you say 14 K Then 980 tax saving so if carmax offers 14980 its the same,. So get an offer from carmax then go to dealer see what they offer then if you have time put it up for sale for more than either of those offers and go for the best option.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I should have mentioned that this is in NY so the trade in would knock off around half the cost of the truck and subsequently half of the tax (7% I believe) if I were to trade it in.
KBB is a good start on figuring value of you trade. I usually put in all info and select good condition then add $1500 to what I get from KBB. But I generally ask about $5000 over KBB as you can always come down but it’s hard to go up.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is exactly what the dealetship via carfax email was for my 22 hybrid XL with low mileage and mint condition.
I happly got 22k for my trade ( rush to buy new 23, didn’t see the email ) they would get right at 27,500 for your XL in the used Maverick market before crazy dealer markups are added.
Sponsored