First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We are waiting on our Maverick to leave the Miami rail yard and go 10 miles to the dealer. Since it is “here” we started shopping our 2017 Ridgeline. KBB and those dealers were the lowest, Carmax and Driveway the most. However - we did a spreadsheet showing our real cost on trade-in (+tax savings) vs. sale. There pretty much was never a real crossing point - the trade-in almost always wins out unless we get $2K more than the market is offering…and that price is what we paid for the truck.

We also got an initial trade estimate from the dealer a few weeks ago - so yeah we are going to trade in as long as they stay reasonable, and we have the backup quotes with us to to help. Next week should interesting in a good way we hope - but that tax savings is considerable.
Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last time I sold a vehicle privately it was a pain. Had people come out and waste my time. Offered me ridiculous low cash offers. Kind of pissed me off as I told them what I wanted, which was fair. I eventually sold it for what I wanted. But in today's world dealing with all the idiots out there knowing where you live. I would have a hard time going through that again. Maybe Carvana or something similar would work. But if the dealer offers me a fair price I would use the dealer.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last time I sold a vehicle privately it was a pain. Had people come out and waste my time. Offered me ridiculous low cash offers. Kind of pissed me off as I told them what I wanted, which was fair. I eventually sold it for what I wanted. But in today's world dealing with all the idiots out there knowing where you live. I would have a hard time going through that again. Maybe Carvana or something similar would work. But if the dealer offers me a fair price I would use the dealer.
I may have gotten lucky selling my 2005 Sport Trac on Facebook Market then. Sold to the first person that looked at it for cash. CArvana/Vroom, etc. all offered 4k below what I sold it for, maybe because it was older?
I did get a lot of questionable messages first though. I either ignored them or replied the price was firm.

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Carmax
Carvana
Vroom
Driveway
Other?

All offer free online quotes and allow you to compare quickly. Most were comparable when I sold my Suburban but Driveway offered me 5-6K more than the best offer of the others, sight unseen, and paid me upfront. After I signed the bill of sale they transferred the money to my bank account about 48 hours later and picked the vehicle up about 1 week later. I happened to be on vacation when they came to pick it up and my stepdaughter just tossed them the keys. I basically got what I wanted for it if I had listed it for sale privately without all the tire kickers and general PITA buyers.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used Craigslist. Good for you. Some of the prices I was offered were like 25% of what I was asking. Just guys fishing for a sucker.

Sponsored

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any item I have ever sold, I met people at the police station parking lot in the daytime. Never any worries for sellers or buyers.

Samus L. Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I traded in my RAV4 because the mechanic I go to said it was so rusted on the bottom he wouldn't pass it for inspection unless I had it patched up underneath, and even then he said it'd probably only be good for one more year. I didn't want to drop a grand on it to patch it, so I traded it at the dealer right before the inspection expired and placed an order for a Mav.

I went to three dealers...I traded with and ordered from the dealer that gave me the best offer for the RAV4.

Not sure if I should have tried to sell privately or not, but that seems like such a hassle and I wanted to be rid of the thing and not worry about another inspection.
Sponsored