Spray in bed liner fuel tank issue

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
That is scary. No one to know if the tank was compromised.

If you put a stick, or metal rod through the hole in the bed where the fuel tank is located, wouldn't you be able to probe the tank and feel if the tank was compromised?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but if mine had the spray in liner that's what I would do to check to see if I need a new tank before I took it to the dealer.

It would suck to take it in, find out your tank is good then find out it will be days/weeks out of service waiting for torque to yield one time use bolts for no reason.

Obviously, if the tank is compromised, see if the dealer can order parts so you don't have to leave your truck at the shop forever waiting for parts.
Sponsored

Anton4

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I havenā€™t taken mine in yet because my dealer has no loaners available right now. Iā€™m on a waiting list and will bring it in when a loaner is available. I think there are about 20 people on the list šŸ˜±.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you put a stick, or metal rod through the hole in the bed where the fuel tank is located, wouldn't you be able to probe the tank and feel if the tank was compromised?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but if mine had the spray in liner that's what I would do to check to see if I need a new tank before I took it to the dealer.

It would suck to take it in, find out your tank is good then find out it will be days/weeks out of service waiting for torque to yield one time use bolts for no reason.

Obviously, if the tank is compromised, see if the dealer can order parts so you don't have to leave your truck at the shop forever waiting for parts.
You could for sure tell if the tank has a hole in it. I donā€™t think youā€™d be able to tell if the tank had been compromised. If the tank is thinner in that location even slightly it is compromised.

I said it is scary because the dealer is taking on a huge liability not following the recall properly. If anything happens down the line to that truck linked the warranty the dealer will be on the hook. They released it without doing the proper procedures. I know it sounds unlikely, but Murphyā€™s law is a bitch.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One youtuber I watch said that the Ford techs at his dealership just poked a stick through the drain holes and called it good. They didn't drop the tank to inspect it.
LOL, I'm just curious of exactly what kind of 'stick' would fit down those drain holes.. I've never seen an auto tech with a 'stick' in his toolbox. That makes me question the original report.....

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL, I'm just curious of exactly what kind of 'stick' would fit down those drain holes.. I've never seen an auto tech with a 'stick' in his toolbox. That makes me question the original report.....

Might of been a mini screw driver, he did the same thing in his video.

Sponsored

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One youtuber I watch said that the Ford techs at his dealership just poked a stick through the drain holes and called it good. They didn't drop the tank to inspect it.
If this is true, and I have my doubts, the recall on that specific VIN would still be open. Ford requires that the tank be dropped and photos submitted showing specific areas of the top of the tank. It there is even a slight mark in those areas, the tank has to be replaced. Ford has to approve one way or the other (I assume they still remember the gas tank fiasco with the Pinto's).

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I havenā€™t taken mine in yet because my dealer has no loaners available right now. Iā€™m on a waiting list and will bring it in when a loaner is available. I think there are about 20 people on the list šŸ˜±.
Probably a wise move, I don't think they can release it back to you if they suspect the gas tank needs to be replaced. You just create a headache for yourself if they can't get you in a loaner.
Sponsored