Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone else have any speaker rattle? Sounds like the speaker is vibrating, almost like a blown speaker but only happens on certain tones/voices. Annoying as __ck. I've never turned up the volume past 14 in the 3 weeks I've owned it and I only turned it up that high to try to hear the rattle location.

Probably going to upgrade all the speakers at some point. I saw some pictures of the door speakers and they are cheap small magnet junk.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes, I have it. Lariat Lux.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I have it. Lariat Lux.
wow ok, Iā€™m not alone. Mine is the driver dash mounted speaker, is yours the same location?

Iā€™m going in for a oil change at 1000 miles and might mention it as a warranty issue but doubt they can do anything. Iā€™ve dealt with stereo equipment for years and it sounds almost like Iā€™m the past when speaker lead wires (the ones running from the terminal to the cone) are vibrating against the speaker cone. I doubt a Ford technician will be able to troubleshoot it so thatā€™s why likely Iā€™ll need to just replace/upgrade.

My commute is 25 mi each way and I listen to the stereo everyday and this drives me nuts. Not as bad during musicas itā€™s harder to hear it but itā€™s there.

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep, had it as well, the rear speakers and the tweeters have this crunchy quality to their sound. It went away by installing aftermarket speakers in all locations šŸ˜‚. Honestly I'd never had a vehicle with decent sound quality like the maverick yet have that annoying distortion.

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

wow ok, Iā€™m not alone. Mine is the driver dash mounted speaker, is yours the same location?

Iā€™m going in for a oil change at 1000 miles and might mention it as a warranty issue but doubt they can do anything. Iā€™ve dealt with stereo equipment for years and it sounds almost like Iā€™m the past when speaker lead wires (the ones running from the terminal to the cone) are vibrating against the speaker cone. I doubt a Ford technician will be able to troubleshoot it so thatā€™s why likely Iā€™ll need to just replace/upgrade.

My commute is 25 mi each way and I listen to the stereo everyday and this drives me nuts. Not as bad during musicas itā€™s harder to hear it but itā€™s there.
Mine seems to be the speaker and perhaps the A pillar plastics rubbing or something rubbing against them. It's really bad.

Personally, I will be taking it to the dealer and will not be taking no for an answer. It's unacceptable. I recommend you and everyone else push on this as well. There is no reason why we should deal with this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep, had it as well, the rear speakers and the teeters have this crunchy quality to their sound. It went away by installing aftermarket speakers in all locations šŸ˜‚. Honestly I'd never had a vehicle with decent sound quality like the maverick yet have that annoying distortion.
Did you replace all speakers? Do you have info or have you posted the replacements and how to access locations? Thank you!

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you replace all speakers? Do you have info or have you posted the replacements and how to access locations? Thank you!
Prepare for a wall of text :)
I did indeed replace all speakers and added a subwoofer. I did not add any kind of amp. The difference in sound quality is very noticeable. A few notes and caveats:

1.- The door speakers are very easy to upgrade. I used this thread to guide myself through that process and for routing the sub's power, and ignored the amp stuff.

2.- Getting to the tweeters in the dash is mildly annoying and it is easy to scratch the dash, I strongly recommend getting a set of plastic dash removal tools like these to reduce scratching and making it easier to pop the grilles without breaking their locking tabs. It is also a major pain to get aftermarket tweeters to fit, though it might be easier if you go for a direct drop-in speaker kit like this user did. The exact kit he used seems to be this one.

3.- The rear speakers are a major pain to get to and the mount is less than ideal as far as audio engineering goes, replacing them with 4 inch coaxial speakers with a tweeter in them will make it more pleasing but you will have to set the stereo's fader heavily front-biased so as not to deafen your rear passengers at what sound like a tolerable volume from the driver's seat. I used this youtube video as a guide on how to get to those speakers.

4.- There is currently no direct fit harness that I know of for either the front tweeters (if you don't go for the powerbass drop in kit, that is) nor for the rear speakers. With some finagling I was able to use this Metra adapter, and over here is a post I made explaining a bit how I did it.

5.- I installed the subwoofer in the storage area below the rear seat, and here's a bit of my experience doing that and a couple pics here. If you go for a slightly smaller sub like in the thread I linked in number 1 you could install it behind the rear seat and not lose any storage space below the seats.

That's about it. I think the audio upgrade is worth the effort but you might want to have a reputable audio shop do it just to save yourself some frustration, or go full cowboy and do it yourself like we did lol.

Hope you find some of my ranting useful :)

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Prepare for a wall of text :)
I did indeed replace all speakers and added a subwoofer. I did not add any kind of amp. The difference in sound quality is very noticeable. A few notes and caveats:

1.- The door speakers are very easy to upgrade. I used this thread to guide myself through that process and for routing the sub's power, and ignored the amp stuff.

2.- Getting to the tweeters in the dash is mildly annoying and it is easy to scratch the dash, I strongly recommend getting a set of plastic dash removal tools like these to reduce scratching and making it easier to pop the grilles without breaking their locking tabs. It is also a major pain to get aftermarket tweeters to fit, though it might be easier if you go for a direct drop-in speaker kit like this user did. The exact kit he used seems to be this one.

3.- The rear speakers are a major pain to get to and the mount is less than ideal as far as audio engineering goes, replacing them with 4 inch coaxial speakers with a tweeter in them will make it more pleasing but you will have to set the stereo's fader heavily front-biased so as not to deafen your rear passengers at what sound like a tolerable volume from the driver's seat. I used this youtube video as a guide on how to get to those speakers.

4.- There is currently no direct fit harness that I know of for either the front tweeters (if you don't go for the powerbass drop in kit, that is) nor for the rear speakers. With some finagling I was able to use this Metra adapter, and over here is a post I made explaining a bit how I did it.

5.- I installed the subwoofer in the storage area below the rear seat, and here's a bit of my experience doing that and a couple pics here. If you go for a slightly smaller sub like in the thread I linked in number 1 you could install it behind the rear seat and not lose any storage space below the seats.

That's about it. I think the audio upgrade is worth the effort but you might want to have a reputable audio shop do it just to save yourself some frustration, or go full cowboy and do it yourself like we did lol.

Hope you find some of my ranting useful :)
Fantastic info - thank you for posting! I definitely have to get my dash speakers fixed, it's driving me nuts.

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander 2017
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what tool is needed to take off those round white fasteners holding the black panel onto the door? I want to place some kilmat on the door's metal to reduce road noise. On a related subject, is there a video on how to remove the headliner?

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
On a related subject, is there a video on how to remove the headliner?
Are you thinking of Kilmat for the roof, or running wires for a rear dash cam?
I just bought a set of plastic tools specifically made for car interior breakdowns, but I'm a total noob.

Maybe it's time for a new thread on the headliner.

Sponsored

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you thinking of Kilmat for the roof, or running wires for a rear dash cam?
I just bought a set of plastic tools specifically made for car interior breakdowns, but I'm a total noob.

Maybe it's time for a new thread on the headliner.
Just to add killmat, but after watching hours of Wham Baam TeslaCam videos I am considering getting a dual camera dash cam.

So far I have added Killmat behind the rear seat and under the hood. Will do the doors once I get my speaker wiring harnesses. I would like to do the entire cabin but if removing the headliner and the carpet is to difficult then I will skip those. Mainly because I am only using the one layer of killmat. So not worth the trouble for the marginal improvement.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
Just to add killmat, but after watching hours of Wham Baam TeslaCam videos I am considering getting a dual camera dash cam.

So far I have added Killmat behind the rear seat and under the hood.
Which made a bigger difference, the Killmat under the hood or behind the seat? Was it worth it?

Woah - watch the TeslaCam top 50 - CRAZY!

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This guyā€™s video shows a fix for at least 1 potential rattle source in the door, mainly passenger side on both of the mavericks he has had. Relatively easy fix to try at least, even if itā€™s not your particular issue it may be with a shot to rule it out.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
This guyā€™s video shows a fix for at least 1 potential rattle source in the door, mainly passenger side on both of the mavericks he has had. Relatively easy fix to try at least, even if itā€™s not your particular issue it may be with a shot to rule it out.

I had seen his youtube on the door speaker replacement. Thanks for posting this one.

Last edited:

MaverickShark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which made a bigger difference, the Killmat under the hood or behind the seat? Was it worth it?

Woah - watch the TeslaCam top 50 - CRAZY!
I would have to say behind the rear. There was some slight rattling from the empty sub/amp mount or the plastic. I also had the bed sprayed so that stiffened the rear wall. I will add it to the rear post/plastic when I swap the speakers. Even if it only reduces external sound 1 db back there it will help the 4 inch speakers produce better mid range sounds. I also did the rear because I plan to add a slim powered sub back there. So far thinking a kicker hideaway.

The engine sounds about the same. I may consider getting a engine cover. The electric motor seems louder at low speeds and gets quieter as you speed up. I wonder If there is artificial sounds for pedestrians. In reality it is still quiet. When my wife drove it into our court I was surprised how quiet it was. I could barely hear it from about 30 yards.
Sponsored