2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not having a traditional auto shifter will be a big change, but don't know how I feel about it until I get to try a Maverick out. I'm glad it does not have a stock off the steering wheel, every time I drive my business partners F150 that thing drives me crazy. It always slips and never ends up where I want it, but I don't drive it enough to really get used to it.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see a lot of comments about muscle memory, but I think it will be pretty easy to become accustomed to the dial shifter and to build new muscle memories around it.

After all, I can shift my manual transmission, my wife's automatic, and my daughter's automatic. (The last two are similar but subtly different.) After I drive for a couple of hours the new "memories" take over.

And I'm happy that I won't bump my coffee cup on the shift lever anymore.

sickser66

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I’m still getting used to it. I don’t hate it, but I’m not a huge fan of it either. I liked being able to rest my right hand on a traditional shifter in my other cars and trucks… Another note, muscle memory is gonna be a bit tricky because the rotary dial shifter doesn’t have stops before park and after drive. Memory has me counting the clicks, but …. I don’t know, I get lost trying to shift without looking… if that makes sense..

OP
OP
Dturano547

Dturano547

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 10 Ford Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My opinion, not that it matters, is that I'll turn it to 'R,' then 'D,' go where it is that I'm going, put the truck in 'P', press the Start/Stop button, then get out of the truck. I suspect I'll learn how to do that pretty quickly, even though our other vehicle has a differently weird gear shift thingy. I'm pretty smart, and I think I can do it.
I don't care what other forum members say about you my friend, you can handle any gear shift thingy without care or concern, well done sir. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

woppinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I've only owned stick shift cars for as long as I've been driving - 35 years or so.

On the Maverick it's basically an electronic switch/control, there's no need for a literal mechanical "lever" - it is what it is, I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mechanical - Electrical or combination of both. With new vehicles comes new challenges. You get a vehicle you did not make or have any input as to how it should have been made.

I can bitch about where they put the horn button on my old Honda motorcycle vs the new Honda motorcycle (yeah, not in the same place). Does Me no good to think about it. No reason why my muscle memory can't figure out which freaking bike I am on. I still have them both. My Chevy Volt had 3 recalls on the mechanical shifter and it was an electric car, all because of a 20 cent switch in the mechanism that tells the computer it was in park. My Prius has the shifter under the touch screen freeing up the console. I imagine that people with 2 different brands of cars don't find the shifter to be exactly the same in both.

I have had over 60 cars and 40 motorcycles since 1963 and my muscles are very used to figuring it out how to get me down the stupid road. Looking forward to a Dial.

Thunderdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
It’s ok, I would rather have a column or shift lever. Would be nice if it was located more similar to where the ram puts their knob. Down where it is saves no space and I miss resting my hand on a lever. Side note the thing I really don’t like is that the rear seat isn’t split so you could raise one side or the other.

JSR821

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Escape, Colorado
I don't mind the rotary shifter, and I know it is where it is for convenience and because that's where people expect it to be. However, since it is just a knob, I'd prefer it on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Less chance of hitting it while driving.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First time dial user here, I actually kind of like it. I do miss not having something to put my hand on but this one is easier. I like to use it "the price is right" big wheel style lol, you can spin it as much as you want and be in park or drive.

Sponsored

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had a 63 Plymouth Valiant with push button slant 6.
THAT is beautiful...takes me back to my parents' 1956 Chrysler Windsor or the 1964 Chrysler 300 with push buttons. I can see my mother beautiful fingers pushing the buttons I love it!

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For me it will take a lot of getting used to, I like the column mount, just sold my old convertible that had a console shifter, for 13 years everytime I went to shift I was reaching for the steering column lever, never did get used to it.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So is the reasoning for the dial shifter reduced cost/saved space in the interior?
My dad has one in his Dodge Ram and I was kind of curious why manufacturer's started going towards this in general.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So is the reasoning for the dial shifter reduced cost/saved space in the interior?
My dad has one in his Dodge Ram and I was kind of curious why manufacturer's started going towards this in general.
With the computer-controlled transmissions there is no need the old mechanical system with a shift lever controlling a cable connected to a lever on the transmission. This opened up new possibilities for a different type of control system with electrical switches instead of cables.

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 750 miles I'm finally used to the rotary shifter. I still don't like it and constantly try to rest my hand on a shifter that's not there. The center armrest is also pretty small but I'm coming from a Tundra so I knew I'd have to make sacrifices somewhere.

My real pet peeve is the lack of manual shifting. Not being able to downshift going down hills is really annoying. With the Tundra you simply slapped the shift lever to the left and it would drop to 4th gear. Pull it back and you're in 3rd. No need to ride the brakes. My Cadillac ATS-V had paddles so it was even easier.

One good thing is if you're already in sport mode the computer does a pretty good job of downshifting for you.
Sponsored