First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For $35-40K look at a Honda Ridgeline. Much better truck for the $$ and has a huge lockable in bed trunk. The MPG loss will be worth it in the long run due to lots of reasons, mainly long term reliability, and better NVH.
I was just curious so I looked it up, the maverick and Ridgeline have basically the same reliablity rating. Both above average from consumer reports, according to JD power, the Ridgeline has a reliability score of 80 out of 100 and the maverick has 82 out of 100.

So respectfully, considering they both have the same basic level of reliability, but the maverick is cheaper, has a longer warranty, and is getting much better fuel economy, I don't see the Ridgeline owner ever getting ahead of the maverick hybrid owner in terms of ownership costs. Factor in the fact that the maverick also has better resale value, and is almost certainly cheaper to insure, and it's a slam dunk in ownership costs, not even close.
Sponsored

HuieDouieLouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT AWD EB in Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just curious so I looked it up, the maverick and Ridgeline have basically the same reliablity rating. Both above average from consumer reports, according to JD power, the Ridgeline has a reliability score of 80 out of 100 and the maverick has 82 out of 100.

So respectfully, considering they both have the same basic level of reliability, but the maverick is cheaper, has a longer warranty, and is getting much better fuel economy, I don't see the Ridgeline owner ever getting ahead of the maverick hybrid owner in terms of ownership costs. Factor in the fact that the maverick also has better resale value, and is almost certainly cheaper to insure, and it's a slam dunk in ownership costs, not even close.
IMO you have to take JD power with a grain of salt. They get money from manufacturers by giving their cars good ratings\awards.

The Mav hasn't been out long enough to stack up against the Ridge. I have a feeling that a 200K mile Ridgeline and a 200K mile Mav would be in very different shape though...

Regardless, I was simply just saying if you're going to spend $40K on a Mav, give the Ridge a look too as a that price you're into a much nicer truck with the Ridgeline for not much more $. Not comparing the Mav with a Ridgeline, the Mav is an awesome little $20K truck that you can option out to $41K (which I don't think is smart). The Ridge is a $39K truck you can option out to $46K. They just have this overlapping spot where you're optioning out a budget truck and it may be smart to get into something a little less budget underneath if you are going to hang onto it for a while.

Blinky

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiesta ST, 1991 Toyota Dyna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO you have to take JD power with a grain of salt. They get money from manufacturers by giving their cars good ratings\awards.

The Mav hasn't been out long enough to stack up against the Ridge. I have a feeling that a 200K mile Ridgeline and a 200K mile Mav would be in very different shape though...

Regardless, I was simply just saying if you're going to spend $40K on a Mav, give the Ridge a look too as a that price you're into a much nicer truck with the Ridgeline for not much more $. Not comparing the Mav with a Ridgeline, the Mav is an awesome little $20K truck that you can option out to $41K (which I don't think is smart). The Ridge is a $39K truck you can option out to $46K. They just have this overlapping spot where you're optioning out a budget truck and it may be smart to get into something a little less budget underneath if you are going to hang onto it for a while.
I understand what you're saying and if the Ridgeline didn't drink like a sailor it'd be a much more fair comparison, Hondas do typically have excellent reliability and resale. That being said in my area Ridgelines do not seem to hold their value.

In Canada, Ridgelines start at $49k (Maverick XLT starts at $38k) but more likely you'll only get an Touring/Black for $59k+ because of terrible availability. I cross-shopped the two but I balked at the price and as soon as I said that I was comparing to the Maverick the salesguy showed me some lease return Ridgelines and said he could do "way better" than advertised price on them because they were not moving.
Granted this is "real man truck" :rolleyes: territory; jacked up 3/4ton 4x4s are considered the bare minimum amount of truck to be cool so that might affect used Ridgeline pricing.

TNFurb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

100% agree. I am a former Ridgeline owner. It was an excellent truck so I’m not saying it’s a bad option for some. It was bigger than my wife was comfortable driving so we got a Maverick Lariat Hybrid. My price on the maverick I ordered (I ended up getting one off the dealer lot that had slightly different options) came to $37,520. That is a lariat with sunroof and with upgrade wheels. Take off the wheels and it would be $36,725. I just built a 2024 Ridgeline RTL and only added backup sensors to make it as apples to apples as I could. Total for the Ridgeline was $44,537. At over a $7,000 difference I respectfully disagree with HouieDouieLouie saying it’s a much better truck for the money. The trunk in the bed was fantastic on my Ridgeline and I do miss it, as well as the flat floor under the back seat. But these two trucks are in two different classes. The Mav is much smaller. And after having owned both, the comment about the NVH being better in the Ridgeline is not what I have experienced either. My hybrid Mav is every bit as quiet and smooth as my Ridgeline was. And the electronics on the Mav are far superior to what was on my Ridgeline.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick usually only gets driven on the weekends. It has never failed to start, but when I get in it at night, the interior lights don't come on (they will come on if I push the switch to the ON position), and usually after I drive it I get a notification that the remote app has been disabled to save the battery. last winter even in a sub zero week my Maverick never failed to start.

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Mav never fails to start, even after sitting for a few days. However, the auto stop/start does not work due to the low discharge level of the battery. This also shortens the life of the battery when the discharge level goes below 50% on a regular basis. I now use a battery tender once a week to lengthen the life of my battery.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid with lux and 360 on order (Jan 24 build date) but having second thoughts. The deep sleep/battery issue greatly concerns me. I live in northern Maine and will be mostly using the Mac locally for short trips, often less than 10 miles. While the truck will be parked in a heated garage, from what I have been reading I may experience the problems that so many have faced. I ordered the heated seats and from what I am reading on the forum, using them might be problematic. Your thoughts please.
My 2022 Maverick hybrid was having the occasional deep sleep notification. It never failed to start. The dealership checked out the house battery and it was in need of replacement. That was several months ago and since then I haven't received any more deep sleep notifications.
Hybrid with lux and 360 on order (Jan 24 build date) but having second thoughts. The deep sleep/battery issue greatly concerns me. I live in northern Maine and will be mostly using the Mac locally for short trips, often less than 10 miles. While the truck will be parked in a heated garage, from what I have been reading I may experience the problems that so many have faced. I ordered the heated seats and from what I am reading on the forum, using them might be problematic. Your thoughts please.
The dealership replaced the battery in mine and since then I haven't had any problems.

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If i lived in Maine i would be getting AWD. I live in NY and FWD doesnt cut it here in winter storms.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If i lived in Maine i would be getting AWD. I live in NY and FWD doesnt cut it here in winter storms.
Northeast Iowa. We get a flake every now and then. Some places will get a foot in the next couple of days.
I have had , two SAABs, a Chevy Citation, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, Pontiac Vibe, Camry, RAV4 . . . all FWD only. Only had snow tires on one, the Chevy. Also had a Beetle. Put chains on it twice. Got one stuck, a SAAB.. My own fault. If you ABSOLUTELY need snow tires AND Four Wheel Drive to get somewhere, you should NOT being going there.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At this point with new vehicles, I feel there is a risk for them all. But personally, the Hybrid's known issues were something I experienced in an Escape so when I looked at a Maverick I knew I wanted the EB - but also mainly because that is the AWD variant.

Northeast Iowa. We get a flake every now and then. Some places will get a foot in the next couple of days.
I have had , two SAABs, a Chevy Citation, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, Pontiac Vibe, Camry, RAV4 . . . all FWD only. Only had snow tires on one, the Chevy. Also had a Beetle. Put chains on it twice. Got one stuck, a SAAB.. My own fault. If you ABSOLUTELY need snow tires AND Four Wheel Drive to get somewhere, you should NOT being going there.
lol wut? So I shouldn't be driving up my driveway? C'mon man... not everyone lives in the populated suburbs like you.

Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Populated suburbs? My town is 3800. In the fall, when it's corn picking time, everything is covered in dust. Less than a mile in any direction is cornfields, bean fields and dirt roads. You learn very young how to drive, or you walk home No taxi, no Uber, no Lyft.
There might be a "suburb" near Des Moines, but sure as hell not here.

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's how cars get stuck and cause massive roadjams for others. I had two of those cars and they are not great in snow when it comes down heavy. Most people get stuck on roads while leaving work once a storm starts and by that time it can be too late. In hilly areas up north live Taconic parkway etc there are always roadjams when snow hits and it is the 2WD (FWD and rear) vehicles that can't get through the snow. 4" is enough to stop many FWD vehicles on a hill. Once they jam up the roads it's massive roadblocks for the rest of the public with AWD vehicles.

Another issue with FWD vehicles is at boat ramps. Constantly see FWD cars and even 2wd pickups trying to pull boats out the water on wet ramps - usually requires a tow hook to free up the ramp.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Over 50 years in NE Iowa. Got stuck once, as I said. That was in a recreation area. I got my cross country skis out of the back, skied home, got the other SAAB and another driver and pulled it out. Never caused a problem for someone else.
Drive like Miss Daisy instead of Fireball Roberts and you'll be fine.

OP
OP

almost60

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Camry Hybrid and '13 Corolla
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Second Thoughts Update. Decided against taking the truck. I absolutely value reliability and I am spoiled by my Toyota hybrids over the past 18 years. Also, the way I would use the truck and my northern Maine environment would likely increase the likelihood of experiencing the sleep issues. I have thoroughly enjoyed following the MTC and will continue to monitor the scene. Who knows? I may eventually order a Maverick if Ford gets its act together and reengineers the hybrid system. Until then, I can always borrow a truck from friends when needed. Thanks to all who responded to my posts.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bye bye…