Sponsored

SCORE ! The Maverick will darn near be paid for ;)

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am questioning this... could a tax expert chime in?
There is no such thing as "selling your car for more than it's worth".
I've always heard that if you sell a car and "do well" on the transaction, you have just exchanged one asset (e.g., car worth $24,000) for an equal asset ($24,000 cash). Whatever you sell it for is what it is worth!!
I have also heard that depending on your state and the vigilance of the IRS, if you repeatedly sell cars for a profit, well then... you are a used car dealer.
Few years ago I bought a Jetta sportwagen TDI for $10,450 and it was totaled 11,000 miles later and the insurance company gave me $12,200. Plus tax, I got a check for $13,000. Not a taxable event for me. I has just "bought the car right".
Someone who really knows tax law help me out here!!
Not a tax man but this quote: Selling a car for more than you have invested in it is considered a capital gain

implies that what you initially paid for the vehicle and any addons should be your cost basis so any amount over that would be a capital gain.
Sponsored

Captainp

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
So we took my GF's 2016 Kia Soul to Car Max yesterday (after I spent about 6 hrs of detailing on it) and holy $#!# !
I mean yes, it only had 29K miles on it, was in excellent condition inside and out.... but still, it was more than 4 yrs old.... and you know the whole thing about cars losing 15% the day you drive them off the lot ?
Well, with that in mind, I told my GF she needed to come up with a number she was willing to settle for, because as I told her, at Car Max, their is no haggling. If you like the price they offer, you take it. If you don't you take the car and leave.... and they won't chase you. So she had decided on $14K as her lowest number. Oh, btw, I forgot to say, she paid $18,900 for it four years ago.
So we talk to a gentleman for about 5 minutes, to give him her basic info, and he says, okay, have a seat and we will be back with a quote in about 30 minutes.
Thirty minutes later, the guy walks back over smiling, hands her a sheet of paper, and asks, what do you think ? $16,000 ! Are you freaking kidding me ? She drove that thing for 4 years, and only lost $2,900 ??? Whoo hoo :)
So in a few days when she gets her bill, she's dumping all $16K on it. That, plus the $5K she put down on it, and she will only be a few thousand away from owning it. We might try to scape a few more pennies together, to just make that happen right now ;)

LOVING the truck BTW.... as the mileage steadily climbs.. 37.3 now... then it dawned on me that I have not even checked the tire pressure. I might bump those up a few lbs too... Plus, I'm wondering if the bedcover might add 1 mpg ? Putting that on this week ;)

Anybody else score big on the vehicle they sold to get their new Maverick ???
So we took my GF's 2016 Kia Soul to Car Max yesterday (after I spent about 6 hrs of detailing on it) and holy $#!# !
I mean yes, it only had 29K miles on it, was in excellent condition inside and out.... but still, it was more than 4 yrs old.... and you know the whole thing about cars losing 15% the day you drive them off the lot ?
Well, with that in mind, I told my GF she needed to come up with a number she was willing to settle for, because as I told her, at Car Max, their is no haggling. If you like the price they offer, you take it. If you don't you take the car and leave.... and they won't chase you. So she had decided on $14K as her lowest number. Oh, btw, I forgot to say, she paid $18,900 for it four years ago.
So we talk to a gentleman for about 5 minutes, to give him her basic info, and he says, okay, have a seat and we will be back with a quote in about 30 minutes.
Thirty minutes later, the guy walks back over smiling, hands her a sheet of paper, and asks, what do you think ? $16,000 ! Are you freaking kidding me ? She drove that thing for 4 years, and only lost $2,900 ??? Whoo hoo :)
So in a few days when she gets her bill, she's dumping all $16K on it. That, plus the $5K she put down on it, and she will only be a few thousand away from owning it. We might try to scape a few more pennies together, to just make that happen right now ;)

LOVING the truck BTW.... as the mileage steadily climbs.. 37.3 now... then it dawned on me that I have not even checked the tire pressure. I might bump those up a few lbs too... Plus, I'm wondering if the bedcover might add 1 mpg ? Putting that on this week ;)

I traded in a 2016 F250 with 43000 miles. I 'm getting a xl maverick for 25500 and 2200 to boot.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am 70 and almost retired. I have no bills but do have a very nice nest egg to retire on, i will pay cash for my MAV and drive it to the grocery and the grand kids. Life is good no bills - no worries and a happy wife.. most of the new MAV will be paid for with the increase in “F” stock price.

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '21 Forrester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sold my '17 Jetta to Carvana a month ago (got my Mav last Friday thanks to someone bailing on their Hybrid order). Paid $13k for the Jetta 3 years ago - put~25,000 miles on it - sold it for $16,900!!

I did pay a $2k markup on my mav but honestly, I was happy to do it. I was so far ahead on the Jetta I was able to put ~$10k down on it.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sold my '17 Jetta to Carvana a month ago (got my Mav last Friday thanks to someone bailing on their Hybrid order). Paid $13k for the Jetta 3 years ago - put~25,000 miles on it - sold it for $16,900!!

I did pay a $2k markup on my mav but honestly, I was happy to do it. I was so far ahead on the Jetta I was able to put ~$10k down on it.
$2k markup on a Hybrid Maverick off a lot is very reasonable especially knowing that "Long McArthur" is doing $7.5k over MSRP on Hybrid Mavericks off their lot as Tim @fordvideoguy said on a recent video.

Sponsored

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a tax man but this quote: Selling a car for more than you have invested in it is considered a capital gain

implies that what you initially paid for the vehicle and any addons should be your cost basis so any amount over that would be a capital gain.
My understanding is, yes, that is either a long term (owned the vehicle longer than 1 year) or a short term (less than 1 year) capital gain subject to either a 0%, 15%, or 20% tax on the GAIN ONL:Y based upon your tax filing status and tax bracket. Unless you made significant upgrades/repairs to negate any gain.

BUT....

Anyone bought/sold their home in the last 5 years? Probably made a pretty penny on your investment. Did you pay any capital gains? You should have. Is the IRS knocking on your door if you didn't? 🤷

I'd request the services of a tax expert if you're wondering what to do. I know what my plan is.

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$2k markup on a Hybrid Maverick off a lot is very reasonable especially knowing that "Long McArthur" is doing $7.5k over MSRP on Hybrid Mavericks off their lot as Tim @fordvideoguy said on a recent video.
I thought it was reasonable. Also, my original build still wasnt scheduled and was the same color/trim as this truck. It really just worked out.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold a 2016 Chevy Colorado with 53000 miles on it. I had purchased it 2.5 years earlier for a steal of a deal at $18,900 with 21000 miles on it. When I took it to get it appraised they offered me $24,000. So, I made $5000 after driving it for 2.5 years, not to mention I also got a tax rebate of $2000 that applied to the vehicle I ended up purchasing. $7000 to the plus. I was in shock, but I got a good initial deal pre-covid and then with covid used car prices skyrocketed and in fact the dealer I sold it to had hardly anything on the lot. They sold it in two days for $28.900, so they made money too. It was in excellent condition, clean, clean, clean inside and out.

What I do in terms of tax isn't anyone business, but I got this! :)

yash66113

First Name
Yash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Sold my 2017 Honda Accord LX at 66K miles for $15,500 after 6 years of use to pay towards down payment of my truck !!!

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, a deer did me a favor. Was going to trade in a 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and Carvanna and Vroom was putting it at around $7-8k, and I expected dealer trade-in to be less. The check from the insurance company was $12k.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone has to deal with money. If you aren't managing yours effectively, you are losing out on making more. When it comes to managing money, there is no better time to start than now! Sometimes clichés are true - this is one of them.

If you don't want to learn about simple investing, go with a company like betterment where your money is invested automatically. Otherwise some simple research can get you started. Keep that money, take up Ford's offer of 0%/36 or 0.9/48 - both are free or next to nothing in cost. There is such a thing as good debt if you're actively managing your money and budgeting.
I had cash to buy XLT, so I bought 2100 shares of Ford stock with the $28,500 a few days after placing my order in August with the intent of the 0% 36 loan and selling enough shares each month to make payment. I do not have a build date yet but the stock is worth about $51,200 now. So unless Ford stock does the poopoo dive I may not have to fund the second XLT I have ordered, I'll just let the first one pay for the second. Am starting to think about trading the second one in for the maverick "lightning" when it comes out if there is enough $ in the fund at the time. 🤔🤗

Romanhawk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1985 Celica GTS convertible
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have a car that you can part with, this is the perfect time to do just that. Sold 2 cars in the past few weeks in preparation for the Mav (one to Carvana and one to CarGurus). Combined I got 8 years and 80,000 miles on them for a total of $6,000 out of pocket after the trade-ins.

I mean, that’s just crazy.

Nathan

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV Fusion, Hybrid Fusion, Mustang GT, Miata
The hybrid Maverick that I helped my son buy was a replacement for his 2019 Mustang GT that we bought new for 30k and sold to CarMax for $36k. Put 4k of that down, financed 18k for 36@0%, and will use the 2k left to get some accessories.

Ordered a bedrug and truxedo cover from RealTruck today with the forum discount!

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how long until that gets
I had a 2005 Ford Focus. Great car, but was accumulating some miles on it, for sure. Then someone stole it and destroyed it.

I also had a 2000 Mazda Protege, even higher miles. The same nice folks tried to steal it too, but they didn't suceed. I gave it to Union Gospel Mission.

I bought a Maverick.
how long until that gets stolen?!