Sponsored

The Rattler will be an F150 trim. What will the "rough road" Maverick be?

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There was substantial speculation that the Maverick's upgrade off road package would be named the Rattler, based on Ford trademark filings. Ford just announced, however, that the Rattler name will be used on the F150 - to be released tomorrow.

So what will the upgrade from the FX4 package be named? Rattler? Timberline? Raptor? Something entirely different? Does the lack of a new trademark filing mean that it is likely to use an existing name or does it mean that a toughened up Maverick is farther off than initially imagined given the continued issues meeting even original demand?

So what do you all think? As someone who didn't put down a reservation as I waited to see if they'd announce a hybrid with AWD and/or the FX4 package (and then waited too long), I'm very curious to know the answer to this.
Sponsored

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
I'm not entirely certain they'll come out with an 'upgraded' off-road oriented Maverick beyond the FX4 package. At least not for a few model years.

Aside from a lift kit and perhaps some different geometry on the bumpers, what could they really do to improve the Maverick's off-road capabilities? I guess you could also add the Bronco Sport's twin-clutch rear drive.

Will Ford do it? Yes, I think they will. If the Outback Wilderness can run 9.5 inches of ground clearance they can give the same treatment to the Maverick.

Will they do it soon? eh... My magic 8-ball says "try again later"

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not entirely certain they'll come out with an 'upgraded' off-road oriented Maverick beyond the FX4 package. At least not for a few model years.

Aside from a lift kit and perhaps some different geometry on the bumpers, what could they really do to improve the Maverick's off-road capabilities? I guess you could also add the Bronco Sport's twin-clutch rear drive.

Will Ford do it? Yes, I think they will. If the Outback Wilderness can run 9.5 inches of ground clearance they can give the same treatment to the Maverick.

Will they do it soon? eh... My magic 8-ball says "try again later"
The Bronco Sport's twin-clutch rear drive is a direction I'd be excited for. Plus maybe one inch of ride height.

Or alternatively, you can just give me the 1 extra inch on the hybrid and give it the skid plates from the FX4 package. AWD is nice, but I really want the protection.

I live in the desert and spend a lot of time on sandy approach roads. They are somewhat scary in my Transit Connect as you end up with ruts that you need to straddle and rocks slamming off the wheelwells (hopefully the wheel wells at least...). Plus you have to maintain speed as it's not exactly the ideal vehicle for soft sand.

I'm under no illusions of a Maverick Badlands coming out and being a real off roader. I just want something that can cover long distances efficiently then handle rutted, sandy desert access roads while hauling outdoor gear.

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
I think what is interesting is there is a video or two out there of the Ford Maverick outperforming the Subaru Outback Wilderness. I don't think they were running identical tires so it wasn't a totally apples to apples comparison, but I was satisfied after seeing that. I believe FX4 Mav will get me most of where I want to go.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think what is interesting is there is a video or two out there of the Ford Maverick outperforming the Subaru Outback Wilderness. I don't think they were running identical tires so it wasn't a totally apples to apples comparison, but I was satisfied after seeing that. I believe FX4 Mav will get me most of where I want to go.
I saw the video (or at least a similar one) and agree that overall it looks good. The big thing for me was that I would like a bit more capability in the hybrid model. That's what I was really waiting to see if would eventually be released.

More capability in the turbo would also potentially convince me if it somehow maintained its efficiency as I'm really always just trying to minimize the inevitable efficiency/capability/cargo capacity trade off.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don’t see an off road upgrade for a couple of years. Truthfully, it’s not what it was made for and it will take some serious mods to get it there. They may do something but I don’t see a significant upgrade in the near future but they will eventually to keep it fresh. Just my opinion. I will say the 2023 Ranger Raptor is definitely bad ass, nearly 400 horsepower, that thing will be a beast in its class. Sorry Toyodor but you have nothing close…time for a Kaizen, lol.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who says there can't be an F150 Rattler and a Maverick Rattler?

The Rattler could get applied across multiple platforms, just my speculation though.
Exactly what I was thinking. Tremor is across models. And so is the Raptor. Why not Rattler, why not?

Reactions: JJC

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Garter Snake