First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used some plastic gutter guard installed in front of the intercooler to protect from road debris. Nothing fancy. Cut to size, folded and inserted behind grille. Used zip ties to hold in place. I had to repair once because of bird damage.

To clarify the bird damage was to the plastic mesh, not the intercooler One hit a corner and broke a zip tie.

Ford Maverick Road debris protection for intercooler Mesh
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

olddevildog

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Cactus Grey EB XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting idea. I will have to consider doing that myself. Thanks!

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used some plastic gutter guard installed in front of the inner cooler to protect from road debris. Nothing fancy. Cut to size, folded and inserted behind grille. Used zip ties to hold in place. I had to repair once because of bird damage.
If that's in front of the intercooler doesn't that defeat the purpose of it? Am I not seeing this correctly?

Sponsored

todd92

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 (2), Edge ST, Edge Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I own 5 Ecoboost Ford's and never had an intercooler damaged from road debris, but whatever. You're also reducing the airflow through the intercooler.

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've had the same concern. Especially since during winter I tend to sometimes plow through a fair amount of snow. I'd thought of this idea, have plenty of this mesh in the basement too. I was hopeful that someone would have produced something a little more fitted and rigid, but this looks like it should work just fine.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Despite of what you might think that little bit of mesh will increase the temperature of the engine. The purpose of the intercooler is to keep the air charge as cool as possible and keep the cylinder temperatures down to support boost.

Last edited:

Darklyter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BASE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On my old Dakota I used the metal version of that.. was originally intended to use as 'mesh rain gutter protectors'. Same install- zip tied to the back of the grill.
It's harder for me to do this on this truck with the grill but I'll get it eventually..

Ford Maverick Road debris protection for intercooler Screenshot_20240401_175759_Home Depot

Sponsored

Mox4615

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I own 5 Ecoboost Ford's and never had an intercooler damaged from road debris, but whatever. You're also reducing the airflow through the intercooler.
I’d be surprised if it really made that much of a difference especially at cruising or highway speeds. Just my opinion obviously. That piece of mesh still has pretty decent size holes in it. Now if he was using window screen or something I could see that being more of an issue.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used some plastic gutter guard installed in front of the intercooler to protect from road debris. Nothing fancy. Cut to size, folded and inserted behind grille. Used zip ties to hold in place. I had to repair once because of bird damage.

To clarify the bird damage was to the plastic mesh, not the intercooler One hit a corner and broke a zip tie.

Mesh.jpg
The bird pulled a "zippietiedie"!!!!

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d be surprised if it really made that much of a difference especially at cruising or highway speeds. Just my opinion obviously. That piece of mesh still has pretty decent size holes in it. Now if he was using window screen or something I could see that being more of an issue.
It's a surprising amount. The bigger the mesh the easier it is on the temps.

I was pretty shocked to learn how much of a difference the mesh in front of my PC fans made. The wrong kind basically makes fans pointless.

The one OP shared is reasonable and a great solution without sacrificing in temps but that red one likely increases temps. Without monitoring software we'd never know until it's too late. The longer that fluid runs hotter the shorter the lifespan.

Honestly though I feel like they don't do this because it's just a cost cutting thing. They'd rather replace a radiator than spend the extra pennies for protection from the factory.

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My concern as well. It is open for a reason.

dogtruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The mesh (as posted) may in fact deflect some cooling airflow.....but a lot less than some of the aux lights and led light bars our fellow drivers have installed to much acclaim.
Sponsored