Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for that info. Are air shocks still made? Maybe replace the oem shocks with those?
I have a Hybrid on order, so I’ll need to find a solution too.
I plan to install the air bags on my Hybrid when it finally comes in. Most of the time the bags will have minimal pressure and therefore not effect on the suspension. When I have a heavy load the bag pressure will not be enough change the shape of the heavy factory springs. And with a heavy load I will not be making fast turns where the force-vectoring springs come into play.

Here is someone else that installed the air bags.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...erculiner-bed-liner-and-air-bag-install.6346/
Sponsored

Last edited:

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very good to know. And this is another reason the 4k tow package is worth getting from the factory instead of trying to aftermarket it.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, the EB AWD and the hybrid FWD have very different rear suspensions. The AWD EB is setup to so the Air-Lift kit works great, but on the FWD hybrid (and maybe the FWD EB) the bags would change the spring's geometry and have unintended consequences. The spring's wonky shape is key to it's function.

I don't know if the FWD EB has the same rear suspension as the hybrid, but it probably does.

When I first saw the springs I thought 'what's up with those springs'? After researching them a bit, I am thinking it would be a bad idea to put air bags in them because the bags would seriously change their geometry, especially when the bags were inflated.

I'd love to be proved wrong because then I could use the bags to counter squat. As it is now, I have to find something else for my hybrid that I don't have yet. . . . :)

1645278788702.png

1645277515971.png
I doubt you’ll get squat if you are just loading a bike or keeping it at reconmended payload or tongue capacity. As long as you don’t level it.

I have Firestones on my F250 and timbrens on one my trailers but it’s really only when I’m borderline that they’re needed.

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Transit Prius Honda Yamaha Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan to install the air bags on my Hybrid when it finally comes in. Most of the time the bags will have minimal pressure and therefore not effect on the suspension. When I have a heavy load the bag pressure will not be enough change the shape of the heavy factory springs. And with a heavy load I will not be making fast turns where the force-vectoring springs come into play.

Here is someone else that installed the air bags.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...erculiner-bed-liner-and-air-bag-install.6346/
They’re working well for him too!

Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very good to know. And this is another reason the 4k tow package is worth getting from the factory instead of trying to aftermarket it.
But the 4K tow / AWD actually reduces the carrying capacity of the Mav alone (without trailer) due to the extra weight of the AWD.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As soon as Airlift comes out with a kit for the Maverick, I will be getting it. I had it on a wagon and a minivan. Helped alot when they were loaded. No squating.

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As soon as Airlift comes out with a kit for the Maverick, I will be getting it. I had it on a wagon and a minivan. Helped alot when they were loaded. No squating.
You mean for the Hybrid? Because they have one that fits the EB AWD. The “1000 Universal Air Bag Kit”:
Ford Maverick Rear End Squat? Install These… Air Bag Kit C8D9DDAB-67FA-4321-8C17-45737529044E

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A wagon and minivan are a lot different than a truck, even, hopefully, a unibody like the Mav

guessing it’s needed if you level but not if you don’t, as you should be working within existing rake/tolerances if you don’t overload.

Sponsored

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, for a hybrid.
I had the minivan loaded and the steering was very loose because of squating. It was hard to control. I'm thinking the Mav will be the same.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never owned any gas shocks but have typically steered away from them because of reliability issues, but, maybe those suffered from not being installed correctly.
No...

There are no reliability issues with gas shocks. The vast majority of quality shocks and struts are gas charged. The gas (vs air) and pressure help to keep the oil from aerating on heavy use and heat.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did some research on the Firestone site . It looks like Coil Rite Part 4175 or 4182 may work . This is based on OP 3x8 bag size .The Firestones are 3.5 x 8.5 , But I don't have a truck to try it out .

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No...

There are no reliability issues with gas shocks. The vast majority of quality shocks and struts are gas charged. The gas (vs air) and pressure help to keep the oil from aerating on heavy use and heat.

Sorry, I miss spoke when I said gas shocks, I meant air shocks.

mattrsteacy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 1977 F100, 1991 Camaro, 1985 Virago
Here's a good website to figure out how to measure your springs for the air lift universal set (which is available in a range of widths and heights), they have an image that's a guide to measuring. When you select the right dimensions, it will give you a part number as well:

https://realtruck.com/p/air-lift-1000-universal-air-bag-kits/v/ford/maverick/2022/

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to strengthen the rear suspension in my hybrid and have the same fear as a couple of you about affecting the function of the force vectoring springs. From the bit of reading I've done, the only function of the force vectoring springs is redirecting a bit of the vertical force horizontally to help reduce body roll. Someone (maybe on another thread) made the point that if they are transporting something heavy and need to inflate the airlift bags then they would already be taking it slow and not taking any hard corners, which may be a safe enough conclusion. Here's a good PDF link to some more info on the force vectoring springs as well:

https://www.mscsoftware.com/sites/d...-innovative-suspension-design-using-adams.pdf

Anyway, I'm posting to share these links but I'm also just looking for more opinions on how or if the in-spring airlift airbags will compromise the rear suspension/function of the force vectoring rear springs in the hybrid. Maybe the air shocks are the best option at the end of the day.

That being said - any tips on measuring for shocks lengths/range since no suppliers have shocks parts listed for the maverick hybrid yet? I would need to know this to replace my shocks with air shocks and/or I'm also trying to figure out how to get a 2" lift in the rear of my hybrid in a proper way.

UPDATE - another important note about replacing any of the shocks on the hybrid! I read somewhere that the only thing stopping the rear springs from basically falling out is that there is an internal stopper in the shocks that does not allow the suspension to open up past a certain point. Don't quote me for now but something to consider and further research if you are planning to replace the rear shocks.

Sorry if this was too long winded but I look forward to the responses.

Cheers,

Matt
Sponsored

Last edited: