David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
More good stuff for our Maverick.

The last bedliner I had done was from Line X and I'd never use that product again, no anti-slide properties and I'd say thin material. I built an overlanding trailer and gave it two coats of bed liner (I hate rust), I used Herculiner on it. Super impressed with the product. I ordered a can of their Grey and it matches the cactus grey on the truck well enough that I'm really super happy. Prep is the key, took an hour or so sand the entire bed of the truck, I used an electric sander and 120 grit paper. Two thick coats were applied and I'd say total time invested is under 4 hours. Very thick, really grippy product. While I was in there I installed the drivers side tool box, it's from Ford but I've bought the identical product from Amazon.

Putting my overlanding trailer on the truck had it squating quite a bit, makes driving it not enjoyable. The trailer only weighs about 3,000 pounds but as anyone knows you want the weight on the nose to make them pull nice and straight. I can't stand a vehicle that squats when loaded, handling and braking are highly effected.

This is the second set of air bags I've ordered, these actually kit nice. I ran a single line to the rear, left them with about 10 psi in them. I'll have to get the trailer hooked back up and give it a proper test.

Ford Maverick Couple additions to Buschur's Mav, DIY Herculiner bed liner and air bag install IMG_0449
Ford Maverick Couple additions to Buschur's Mav, DIY Herculiner bed liner and air bag install IMG_0456
Ford Maverick Couple additions to Buschur's Mav, DIY Herculiner bed liner and air bag install IMG_0461
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
More good stuff for our Maverick.

The last bedliner I had done was from Line X and I'd never use that product again, no anti-slide properties and I'd say thin material. I built an overlanding trailer and gave it two coats of bed liner (I hate rust), I used Herculiner on it. Super impressed with the product. I ordered a can of their Grey and it matches the cactus grey on the truck well enough that I'm really super happy. Prep is the key, took an hour or so sand the entire bed of the truck, I used an electric sander and 120 grit paper. Two thick coats were applied and I'd say total time invested is under 4 hours. Very thick, really grippy product. While I was in there I installed the drivers side tool box, it's from Ford but I've bought the identical product from Amazon.

Putting my overlanding trailer on the truck had it squating quite a bit, makes driving it not enjoyable. The trailer only weighs about 3,000 pounds but as anyone knows you want the weight on the nose to make them pull nice and straight. I can't stand a vehicle that squats when loaded, handling and braking are highly effected.

This is the second set of air bags I've ordered, these actually kit nice. I ran a single line to the rear, left them with about 10 psi in them. I'll have to get the trailer hooked back up and give it a proper test.

IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
The air bags are sweet. Nice match on the liner too. 👍

zakstang

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you like that storage box??? easy to remove/reinstall? Im a painter and that would be handy for misc stuff I usually carry in a storage bin.... thanks in advance

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you like that storage box??? easy to remove/reinstall? Im a painter and that would be handy for misc stuff I usually carry in a storage bin.... thanks in advance
Love the box, I have one in my F150, they are identical other than the mounting hardware being for one truck only. This is a little wide for the be in this truck in the F150 it doesn't stick out more than the wheel wells. The way it swings open so you don't have to reach to get in it is a great feature.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are the wheels off the ground? Is that why there is a gap at the top of the air bag?

Is that an Air Lift 1000 Universal kit? They have a wide range of diameters and heights of the bags.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/
Yes, that's with the truck on the lift still. I'll have a good idea of how well it works today, taking a bed load of engines to the machine shop. They have a lot of bags, this was the second set I ordered to get one that actually would fit in the coils on this truck.

Bret

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 RAM 3500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
can you tell us what diameter and height that you ordered to save us having to measure? BTW, I bought one of your catch cans, nice product and installation was a breeze.
Closest I could find to fit...and I'm not usually the best searcher, is Air Lift drag bags for a Camaro/Mustang PT#60897

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the pics of the Herculiner. It looks good.

Were you able to get two coats out of one gallon? Did you roll it or brush it?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the pics of the Herculiner. It looks good.

Were you able to get two coats out of one gallon? Did you roll it or brush it?
I had a way less than a quart of black left from my overlanding trailer project and did the sides, bed and some of the tailgate before I ran out. The second coat I did in the grey I had bought (honestly didn't realize I ordered grey but am glad I did). I'd say it took less than a half gallon total to do two coats. The first coat I rolled with the supplied roller, which is a thick, course foam and used their brush to cut the corners in, when you use the brush be sure the DAB it on and not try to paint it on, if you paint it on it's too smooth. The second coat I used a normal small paint roller.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a way less than a quart of black left from my overlanding trailer project and did the sides, bed and some of the tailgate before I ran out. The second coat I did in the grey I had bought (honestly didn't realize I ordered grey but am glad I did). I'd say it took less than a half gallon total to do two coats. The first coat I rolled with the supplied roller, which is a thick, course foam and used their brush to cut the corners in, when you use the brush be sure the DAB it on and not try to paint it on, if you paint it on it's too smooth. The second coat I used a normal small paint roller.
Thanks. The detail is really helpful as I am strongly considering doing this (and then throwing my bed mat back in to protect my aging knees).

One more question... The bed has a lot of dips and ridges. How did you sand it? Did you use some kind of mini-sander or a rotary with a soft pad or what? I can't picture doing it with my belt sander but I've never worked a big area with that kind of profile before.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. The detail is really helpful as I am strongly considering doing this (and then throwing my bed mat back in to protect my aging knees).

One more question... The bed has a lot of dips and ridges. How did you sand it? Did you use some kind of mini-sander or a rotary with a soft pad or what? I can't picture doing it with my belt sander but I've never worked a big area with that kind of profile before.
I used a orbital sander and my hand in some of the tighter places, used 120 grit sand paper.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tested the air bags out today, freaking awesome. I keep between 5-10 psi in them, which doesn't move the ride height.

We loaded four cast iron Mitsubishi 4 cylinder blocks, four aluminum cylinder heads, couple crank shafts and some misc engine parts for a trip to our machine shop. The truck squated just slightly, 3/4" maybe, put another 10 psi in the bags and it was perfectly level, drives like it's unloaded.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The grey does look really good, I had not even thought about other colors. How is the color holding up?

Did you remove the tiedown points paint and reinstall or just paint around them?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.