Sponsored

Rear diff howling ford dealer said bad tires . Took back 2nd telling them not tires

Mavie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 xlt fx4
46000km rear differential went . Turning I to common problem?
Sponsored

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This should be easy to diagnose - put it on a lift and run it to the speed you hear the noise. If the noise is still there, it's not the tires!

EDITED for clarification. Make sure all four tires are off the ground!

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
lol.....what? 😶

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This should be easy to diagnose - jack up the back end of the truck or put it on a lift and run it to the speed you hear the noise. If the noise is still there, it's not the tires!
Uh...you might want to not JUST jack up the rear on a FWD-based vehicle. Either way, I wouldn't do that. Sounds dangerous.

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Uh...you might want to not JUST jack up the rear on a FWD-based vehicle. Either way, I wouldn't do that. Sounds dangerous.
Doh! Still getting used to this thing. Then it needs to be a lift. It's a pretty common way to diagnose drivetrain noises.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mavie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 xlt fx4
46000km rear differential went . Turning I to common problem?
New rear diff going In . Thank goodness still under warranty. Dealer said would of been 5000 if it wasn't. A little worried now what will break next

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing Ford is known for is ruthless penny pinching - which means the cheapest possible parts in certain Ford vehicles (I experienced this the hard way in my two Rangers). In fairness, all OEMs are constantly removing cost from the vehicle. But Ford seems to take it to another level altogether. Autoline commented on this just a day ago - Ford is literally the worst OEM in the USA for recalls, which is interpreted by many in the industry as pushing cheap way too far.

Hey I'm comfy and happy in my Maverick - until a week from warranty expiration - at which time it goes into somebody else's driveway. I understand that lower cost often comes with lower quality, and I'm cool with that. I feel I got my money's worth, and Ford is covering the check if I didn't.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-r...Most Recalls,of vehicles recalled (3,769,581).

Don't misinterpret this post as Ford bashing or Maverick bashing. I'm happy with Ford. I'm happy with my Maverick. I just understand who and what they are and I set my expectations accordingly.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And this is why I changed my PTU and RDU early on and I'll do it every 20k here after.

There is only half a quart in the PTU.
There is just under a quart in the RDU.

The PTU gets all the heat from the engine. Such low fluid levels are not meant to run for long periods and factor in the heat, I'm willing to bet a sample every 30k would prove to be way too far for the RDU and PTU. Many Ford techs cover this stuff on YT over, and over, and over... Especially the PTU.

Sucks you had this happen, but to anyone wondering, you should 100% change that stock fluid very early. Numerous threads on the quality of it even as low as 10k.

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

New rear diff going In . Thank goodness still under warranty. Dealer said would of been 5000 if it wasn't. A little worried now what will break next
$5000 for a diff?

RobertD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Maverick XLT FX4 - 4K - 360; 23 F150 KR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing Ford is known for is ruthless penny pinching - which means the cheapest possible parts in certain Ford vehicles (I experienced this the hard way in my two Rangers). In fairness, all OEMs are constantly removing cost from the vehicle. But Ford seems to take it to another level altogether. Autoline commented on this just a day ago - Ford is literally the worst OEM in the USA for recalls, which is interpreted by many in the industry as pushing cheap way too far.
I always thought that car manufacturers that don't recall vehicles with serious problems to be pushing cheap a little too far.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mavie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always thought that car manufacturers that don't recall vehicles with serious problems to be pushing cheap a little too far.
Said it's replaces with a upgrade part. Must know of a larger problem

PA-Homesteader

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

And this is why I changed my PTU and RDU early on and I'll do it every 20k here after.

There is only half a quart in the PTU.
There is just under a quart in the RDU.

The PTU gets all the heat from the engine. Such low fluid levels are not meant to run for long periods and factor in the heat, I'm willing to bet a sample every 30k would prove to be way too far for the RDU and PTU. Many Ford techs cover this stuff on YT over, and over, and over... Especially the PTU.

Sucks you had this happen, but to anyone wondering, you should 100% change that stock fluid very early. Numerous threads on the quality of it even as low as 10k.
What is PTU & RDU?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What is PTU & RDU?
Power Take-off Unit in an AWD Maverick. Materially the same as a center differential. It is not a transfer case as it does not offer low range. Has a multiplate clutch assembly and essentially disconnects when the clutches are not engaged, which makes the truck FWD.

Rear Differential Unit. This is between the rear axles and connects to the PTU via driveshaft. Tremor has a special torque vectoring unit that manages torque split. Everything else is open and can only manage traction between the two axles by applying the brakes at the wheel.

I doubt that servicing the fluid early is necessary, but if you tow, servicing it often is a pretty good idea.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Said it's replaces with a upgrade part. Must know of a larger problem
I know this is a lil dated BUT I can confirm that there is a new replacement part. I'm about to do the install myself, replacing the rear diff and both axles just to be safe. Truck has 10k miles on it and I already have the parts. Most of you with issues will get this done under the factory power train warranty... for those of you outside of the warranty... its about $1800 for all 3 parts. The new diff is about $1400 and you WILL need FDRS for this repair install as you will need to calibrate the AWD module and with respect to the left (driver side) rear axle, before you install it into the diff you will need to use FDRS to power accentuate it to iirc 500Nm and then insert the axle. If you do not you WILL severely damage the differential. You can only have the diff accentuated for 5 mins as longer than this will also damage the diff. 😉

100% original rear diff in at least the 1st Maverick awd models in 22 were/are defective! I drained the fluid to further verify and it looked like I was rich in precious metals.

Best way I can describe the initial indication is that sometimes under light accel from a start, it sounded like and felt like I had a bowling ball in the bed that rolled and hit the tailgate when I started to move. Lol

Ford Maverick Rear diff howling ford dealer said bad tires . Took back 2nd telling them not tires 20230920_210358

Ford Maverick Rear diff howling ford dealer said bad tires . Took back 2nd telling them not tires 20230928_132854

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine was just replaced. I noticed it slightly after 30k miles, but took a long time to get into the dealer, then get them to order the parts, then to complete the repair! Hopefully I have the upgraded one and won't have to worry! The bill would have been over $4k if warranty didn't cover it.
Sponsored