Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I really think the Sante Fe and possibly the Frontier are the only real competitor with the maverick right now. Anything else is like comparing apples to oranges. Everything else on the market is in a different class. So far I see my Maverick doing what I would need it for quite well. When I fist started looking my nephew, who works for a Toyota distributor. JM. could get me a Tacoma at his cost. Still the big $$ difference was a factor as was milage and my wife's issues with the higher truck body. Tacomas are really neat but more truck than I would need right now. The lease was 80% buyout after three years. I think the Ram 700 will be in its class.
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tacos cost too much - Frontiers have already been discovered - Santa Claus (Cruz) overpriced and poor mileage for what you get, so there is NO real competition now. If they ever build a RAM all electric, you know it will be way overpriced and not give you that much range. Right now, you would need a huge gas generator to carry in the back of electric trucks to make sure you make it to a charging station LOL.

NextTruck

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JeepGC Overland, 2010 Tahoe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Tacos cost too much - Frontiers have already been discovered - Santa Claus (Cruz) overpriced and poor mileage for what you get, so there is NO real competition now. If they ever build a RAM all electric, you know it will be way overpriced and not give you that much range. Right now, you would need a huge gas generator to carry in the back of electric trucks to make sure you make it to a charging station LOL.
Agreed there is nothing like the Maverick so it is hard to compare, but if I look in my garage and one never gets there, the comparison is not relevant. Then it is time to change the scope of the the purchase.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Canā€™t argue with that. What did you order and when?

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree that the Mav doesnā€™t have competition but it could be its own worst enemy. Iā€™m really grumpy about 2 recalls and a check engine light in one year!

Sponsored

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why would a frontier be a competitor and not the rest of the mid sized trucks?

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The previous generation Frontier is the closest midsize competition as far as size and price. The new gen got bigger and pricey like the rest of them. You at least have the option of a 6 ft bed there.

The Santa Cruz has some nice little touches that I prefer over the Maverick. The option for roof rails is nice, but unfortunately tied to the very expensive Activity Package with the roll up bed cover. But looking at dealer inventory around here, 95% of them have that package anyway so you almost have to get it whether you want it or not. The corner steps in the bumper are welcome. And it's not too difficult to remove the under rear seat storage compartments to get more general cargo space if you need it back there, whereas on the Maverick those seem to be part of the body. It's just hard to get over that weird front end and the fact that it's wider without actually having any more usable width.

It really depends on why you are considering a Maverick as to what the potential competition includes. If you need a truck and you think the mid size trucks are too big then that's it. If the bed is optional then obviously you can include just about anything.

Personally I'm hanging onto my S10 a little longer to see if someone else is going to step up with something that checks all my boxes. A used Frontier would be kind of a lateral move. The Mav and SC both lack a midgate to make the bed viable for hauling lumber longer than 8'. I have seriously looked at pictures of both with the rear seats removed to see which is more viable to cut my own access panel into if it came down to it.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Frontier might be competition just because it's a cheaper (all-around) Taco. A extra cab Ranger is probably the closest, tho. I think they exist around $28k. Used Frontiers cost as much as Mavericks, tho, but still 5 grand less than a Taco.

OP
OP
Barksdale123

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The previous generation Frontier is the closest midsize competition as far as size and price. The new gen got bigger and pricey like the rest of them. You at least have the option of a 6 ft bed there.

The Santa Cruz has some nice little touches that I prefer over the Maverick. The option for roof rails is nice, but unfortunately tied to the very expensive Activity Package with the roll up bed cover. But looking at dealer inventory around here, 95% of them have that package anyway so you almost have to get it whether you want it or not. The corner steps in the bumper are welcome. And it's not too difficult to remove the under rear seat storage compartments to get more general cargo space if you need it back there, whereas on the Maverick those seem to be part of the body. It's just hard to get over that weird front end and the fact that it's wider without actually having any more usable width.

It really depends on why you are considering a Maverick as to what the potential competition includes. If you need a truck and you think the mid size trucks are too big then that's it. If the bed is optional then obviously you can include just about anything.
I really like S 10s My wife had a long bed
Personally I'm hanging onto my S10 a little longer to see if someone else is going to step up with something that checks all my boxes. A used Frontier would be kind of a lateral move. The Mav and SC both lack a midgate to make the bed viable for hauling lumber longer than 8'. I have seriously looked at pictures of both with the rear seats removed to see which is more viable to cut my own access panel into if it came down to it.
I really like S 10s, Wife had a long bed with a 5 speed. Nice little truck. The long bed was too much for her.

Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only competitor I see is frontier and thatā€™s due to its price . I really donā€™t consider Santa Cruz competition to the maverick the numbers are staggeringly different between them. Maybe xl Ranger , xlt ranger at the most. A lot people who liked the older 2000s switched to the maverick. Indirect competion

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i donā€™t think thereā€™s another small hybrid pickup. So for the Maverick hybrid, thereā€™s no competition. And if there was it wouldnā€˜t be at the same price range.
Sponsored