First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone. I’ve been reading about the 2.0 ecoboost and the internet says that the 2.0 was updated in 2019. Anyone know what the updates are? Is the engine still a closed deck design? What have the major updates been?
thanks Everyone
Sponsored

EngineeredDetails

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2016 Fusion, 2017 Explorer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's still an open deck design but they have fixed the coolant intrusion problem. With it being boosted you need as much cooling capability as you can to prevent pre-ignition. The closed deck design works well with naturally aspirated engines. I believe some MY2015-MY2019 had coolant intrusion issues due to the way they tried to allow coolant flow in between the cylinders. That lead to cracks between the cylinders and/or leaky head gaskets(not much cylinder material to adhere to). The updated blocks are cross drilled to allow that coolant to flow between the cylinders and still leave enough material for the head gasket to seal.

OP
OP

Olikestrains

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's still an open deck design but they have fixed the coolant intrusion problem. With it being boosted you need as much cooling capability as you can to prevent pre-ignition. The closed deck design works well with naturally aspirated engines. I believe some MY2015-MY2019 had coolant intrusion issues due to the way they tried to allow coolant flow in between the cylinders. That lead to cracks between the cylinders and/or leaky head gaskets(not much cylinder material to adhere to). The updated blocks are cross drilled to allow that coolant to flow between the cylinders and still leave enough material for the head gasket to seal.
thank you for the information! I like to know maybe a little bit too much about my truck. Now has anyone found out the upper power limits of the block yet? Also is there any major flaws in the 2019+ blocks yet. Anything to look out for?
Thank you again

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have not seen a single post here or in FB groups about anyone who has blown a headgasket or had any more severe issues. There are some heavily modified Mavericks running low 12s, maybe high 11s, but as of yet nothing all that overly close to what tuners have done with the Focus ST/RS and Mustang ecoboost.

It seems like the block is not going to be a real limitation for any builds using bolt-on parts.

If someone did want to go big, I don't think it would be hard to call up one of the shops building engines for the Focus and Mustang crowd.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There have been a few posts here about 2.0s that caught fire. But the jury has been leaning towards abuse in those cases. One guy even admitted he saw the overheat warning and kept driving.

Fortunately, the 4K comes with a more robust cooler.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Olikestrains

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s excellent to hear. I’m kinda looking to keep “improving” the truck and I like to hear that there’s no fatal flaws in these motors. And I haven’t seen anyone blow anything else yet so far. But only time will tell

garryjohnson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 Atlas Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The main problem with the 2.0, since it is direct injection, is carbon buildup on the intake valves. This will cause a loss of power. Of course the problem will usually only manifest after about 15 to 20k miles and can be remedied quickly with a service center that does walnut blasting of the valves.
https://www.5250performance.com/blo...-your-direct-injection-high-performance-motor
Also, using quality oil and fuel with added detergents will help delay the need for this, but eventually all DI engines will need some kind of valve cleaning.

OP
OP

Olikestrains

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The main problem with the 2.0, since it is direct injection, is carbon buildup on the intake valves. This will cause a loss of power. Of course the problem will usually only manifest after about 15 to 20k miles and can be remedied quickly with a service center that does walnut blasting of the valves.
https://www.5250performance.com/blo...-your-direct-injection-high-performance-motor
Also, using quality oil and fuel with added detergents will help delay the need for this, but eventually all DI engines will need some kind of valve cleaning.
Good to know! I also saw somewhere that people are making a port injection plate for about $1k and that would solve this forever but with a lot of work and a tune
Sponsored