Sponsored

Would it be possible to swap the 2.0L EcoBoost Inline-4 engine for the 2.7L V6 Nano (also an EcoBoost) engine?

RZ2O16

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot EX & 2020 Subaru Outback Premium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've been exploring the possibility of swapping the 2.0L Inline-4 of a Maverick with the 2.7L V6 Nano engine to make the first Maverick V6. So would it be possible to swap the 2.0L Ecoboost I-4 for the 2.7L Nano V6 (also an EcoBoost the Maverick?
Sponsored

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Short answer: No

Not enough room in the stock engine bay for a twin-turbo V6. Plus I'd imagine the electronic powertrain conversion would be a nightmare, plus increased cooling needs, etc etc. And how long will a stock transmission/drivetrain hold up with 350~400lb of torque? But, if you're determined anything is possible with all hot rod shops building $100K+ custom vehicles now. Just be prepared to spend major $$$.

There are folks on this forum discussing/are installing the larger turbo 2.3L 4 cylinder with some HP/TQ enhancements. It will be interesting to see how long the drivetrain holds up with the increased TQ.

Above is just my opinion as I modified many cars over decades. Now I'm just an old man driving a stock Hybrid while playing the MPG game.

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anything is possible, but the very fact you're asking the question probably means no for you, unless you have a large cache of money to pay a custom fabricator to do it. 🤠

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Like @dalola said - anything is possible.

Why not just buy a new Ranger (whenever they build it) with a 2.7L?

More truck and it will cost you less.

rallyshark

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you could find a crashed fusion sport, or the Lincoln equivalent that has the tt v6, the process would be doable. Still, it would be a colossal pain and expensive. You'd be better off doing a built 2.0 I think.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RZ2O16

RZ2O16

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Pilot EX & 2020 Subaru Outback Premium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you could find a crashed fusion sport, or the Lincoln equivalent that has the tt v6, the process would be doable. Still, it would be a colossal pain and expensive. You'd be better off doing a built 2.0 I think.
The Fusion Sport V6 engine would probably be the best bet for me if I wanted to make a V6 Maverick.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Short answer: No

Not enough room in the stock engine bay for a twin-turbo V6.
how do you have such confidence? have you looked under the hood of an Edge with the 2.7tt? I have. my uncle has an Edge with that engine, and it's not what I would consider a larger vehicle than a Maverick.

I bet it would fit with custom engine mounts and crossmember.

regarding electronics integration, however, that is 100% true. you either need standalone engine management, or you may need to take everything from the Edge, including infotainment, instrument cluster and transmission.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Space wise it could fit. Wiring will take alot of skill, and plumbing will take some art. Also I think I would look at fitment to swap the whole thing. Like out of a Edge AWD. If the 4 bangers are pushing the limits of the transmission why not just start with what works. Aside from getting everything to fit and function all you would need is to have hybrid CVs and rear driveshaft built. Any good machine shop could handle that. Looking at axle ratios, you would have to get the RDU from an Edge too. But all these things are upgrades so why not just build a super Maverick. Just gotta find and edge that had a tree fall on it. I will say I wish the Edge platform got more merged with the C2 platform to make the Maverick that way things like this would be more straight forward and it would be possible to have higher tow ratings on the Maverick.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Space wise it could fit. Wiring will take alot of skill, and plumbing will take some art. Also I think I would look at fitment to swap the whole thing. Like out of a Edge AWD. If the 4 bangers are pushing the limits of the transmission why not just start with what works. Aside from getting everything to fit and function all you would need is to have hybrid CVs and rear driveshaft built. Any good machine shop could handle that. Looking at axle ratios, you would have to get the RDU from an Edge too. But all these things are upgrades so why not just build a super Maverick. Just gotta find and edge that had a tree fall on it. I will say I wish the Edge platform got more merged with the C2 platform to make the Maverick that way things like this would be more straight forward and it would be possible to have higher tow ratings on the Maverick.
I agree in broad strokes.

you also have the issue of a 2.3 just fitting as it is. the 2.7 absolutely will make more torque and it absolutely will be at least 200 pounds heavier than a built 2.3. maybe more than 300 pounds heavier.

there are 2.3 Focus RS and Mustangs making well over 600 wheel horsepower in a streetable trim. they don't drive like a 2.7, but it would be so much easier to execute.

bykerhd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost FW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Too bad it's not like the old pre-computer days of American iron.

Pull out the old stock 6 or low HP family cruiser V8.
Throw in whatever monster V8 appeals in new motor mounts, add new pipes, whatever transmission is desired as well as a heavier duty rear end and you have most of what you need to get rolling.

Not anymore though.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Too bad it's not like the old pre-computer days of American iron.

Pull out the old stock 6 or low HP family cruiser V8.
Throw in whatever monster V8 appeals in new motor mounts, add new pipes, whatever transmission is desired as well as a heavier duty rear end and you have most of what you need to get rolling.

Not anymore though.
Transverse motors make it a little harder too. But that didnt stop folks from dropping 320 hp
Northstar 4.6s into 2.5 Iron duke Fieros.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree in broad strokes.

you also have the issue of a 2.3 just fitting as it is. the 2.7 absolutely will make more torque and it absolutely will be at least 200 pounds heavier than a built 2.3. maybe more than 300 pounds heavier.

there are 2.3 Focus RS and Mustangs making well over 600 wheel horsepower in a streetable trim. they don't drive like a 2.7, but it would be so much easier to execute.
If it happens it will be more of mad scientist, they said it couldnt be done type of build.
Sponsored