Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just watched this quick video on the 2.0 Eco Boost Engine. Thought those of you with the EB may be interested. I understand that the video is on the older version of the 2.0, but it gives you great in site to how it works and what is involved in the workings of the engine. enjoy the video.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting- Anyone know how much a 2.0T Eco crate motor is ?

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's an old iteration of the 2.0 Ecoboost, it has been updated extensively since and latest iteration has been reliable (if made in Spain like the Maverick 2.0 is). This is my third 2.0 Ecoboost and even while people were blowing up their old Focus ST 2.0 motors mine ran very strong on factory everything up until I sold it with about 150k on it. These motors NEED fresh, high quality synthetic oil and clean factory spec coolant. Follow the factory maintenance intervals if you want to pay for a new motor or test the validity of your extended warranty. Did I mention that in the fine print of many extended warranties they can and will replace your blown motor with a used junkyard motor? :ROFLMAO:

Also, on the Maverick version of the Ecoboost they no longer cut the trench between the cylinders since that was a known failure point for the headgasket.

Lastly, look at the carbon buildup in the piston rings. This is again from a combination of poor maintenance and low quality oil. I get a lot of grief from people for basing my oil changes on used oil analyses but it seems to be working for me and changing oil more frequently especially since I do it myself is so much cheaper than replacing an engine. Every once in a while I send my used oil out for analysis to Blackstone Labs and when it comes back I'm almost never happy with the viscosity specs and the flash point of the oil, both of which are degraded because of fuel dilution. It's just an inherent repercussion of direct injection and nothing you can do will mitigate it, not even a catchcan. If you use an inferior oil no catch can will save your engine because cylinder temps for a DI turbo motor can approach 400 degrees. Guess what? You have oil on your cylinder walls to lubricate the pistons. If you have a low flash point that oil on the wall and in your piston rings is going to burn and cause carbon buildup and no amount of fuel injection/system type cleaners will help those rings once they are stuck from carbon buildup. Sometimes I get my used oil analysis back from blackstone it'll have a flashpoint in the range of 260 degrees yet they will say "We think you can run this oil for at least 3,000 more miles" and I want to tell them, thanks Scientists but no thanks. Take what blackstone labs says with a grain of salt and use common sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JP4AZ

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's an old iteration of the 2.0 Ecoboost, it has been updated extensively since and latest iteration has been reliable (if made in Spain like the Maverick 2.0 is). This is my third 2.0 Ecoboost and even while people were blowing up their old Focus ST 2.0 motors mine ran very strong on factory everything up until I sold it with about 150k on it. These motors NEED fresh, high quality synthetic oil and clean factory spec coolant. Follow the factory maintenance intervals if you want to pay for a new motor or test the validity of your extended warranty. Did I mention that in the fine print of many extended warranties they can and will replace your blown motor with a used junkyard motor? :ROFLMAO:

Also, on the Maverick version of the Ecoboost they no longer cut the trench between the cylinders since that was a known failure point for the headgasket.

Lastly, look at the carbon buildup in the piston rings. This is again from a combination of poor maintenance and low quality oil. I get a lot of grief from people for basing my oil changes on used oil analyses but it seems to be working for me and changing oil more frequently especially since I do it myself is so much cheaper than replacing an engine. Every once in a while I send my used oil out for analysis to Blackstone Labs and when it comes back I'm almost never happy with the viscosity specs and the flash point of the oil, both of which are degraded because of fuel dilution. It's just an inherent repercussion of direct injection and nothing you can do will mitigate it, not even a catchcan. If you use an inferior oil no catch can will save your engine because cylinder temps for a DI turbo motor can approach 400 degrees. Guess what? You have oil on your cylinder walls to lubricate the pistons. If you have a low flash point that oil on the wall and in your piston rings is going to burn and cause carbon buildup and no amount of fuel injection/system type cleaners will help those rings once they are stuck from carbon buildup. Sometimes I get my used oil analysis back from blackstone it'll have a flashpoint in the range of 260 degrees yet they will say "We think you can run this oil for at least 3,000 more miles" and I want to tell them, thanks Scientists but no thanks. Take what blackstone labs says with a grain of salt and use common sense.
I change my oil myself on all my cars & Mororcycles too, about every 5K to 7.5k miles depending on my eyeball evaluation of the oil on the dip stick. Full synthetic every time (Gave up on Dino oil about 10 yrs ago). I refuse to pay for high $ (royal purple or Ames). Stick to Valvoline, Quaker State, Penz, etc. I have also used Super Tech (wallmart brand) without any problems ever. I have never had it analyzed though, never felt the need to.

NoVaJimmy - What oil do you use/recommend?
Do you ever use sea foam or any additive chit like that to reduce carbon build-up?
I recently changed one of my Mav orders to Eco Boost. This will be my first Turbo engine, and I want to get opinions on maintenance. Thank You

Last edited:

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I change my oil on all my own cars & Mororcycles too, about every 5K to 7.5k miles depending on my eyeball evaluation of the oil on the dip stick. Full synthetic every time (Gave up on Dino oil about 10 yrs ago). I refuse to pay for high $ (royal purple or Ames). Stick to Valvoline, Quaker State, Penz, etc. I have also used Super Tech (wallmart brand) without any problems ever. I have never had it analyzed though, never felt the need to. NoVaJimmy - What oil do you use/recommend?
I've always used Pennzoil ultra platinum in the past but it doesn't meet ford's latest spec (yet) I'm currently using Castrol edge and hoping Pennzoil updates their 5w-30 ultra platinum formula. I basically look for whatever oil has the highest off the shelf flashpoint based on their data sheet

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always used Pennzoil ultra platinum in the past but it doesn't meet ford's latest spec (yet) I'm currently using Castrol edge and hoping Pennzoil updates their 5w-30 ultra platinum formula. I basically look for whatever oil has the highest off the shelf flashpoint based on their data sheet
Have you looked at Motorcraft full synthetic?

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you looked at Motorcraft full synthetic?
The specs look good on the full synthetic, 455 degree flash point. The question is how well it holds up after use. If anyone has a UOA for the motorcraft full synth feel free to post it.

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Interesting. As an old guy every time he said plastic, I cringed.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have used motorcraft oil in everything I ever gave a crap about. I havent had alot of blown motors from oiling issues. I broke an oil pump at 280k, snapped a crank in a 7000lb vehicle at 7000 rpm, and siezed a 2.8 gm v6 but it delivered pizza... fast!

Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that video gets recirculated here every few months. the 2.0 EB was modified a few years ago. the maverick has not suffered from the design shortcomings that the video highlights.
Yea I noticed that. Ford should change the displacement when they redesign engines to avoid confusion with old models (especially ones with a bad rep)

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Appreciate the info and insight on flashpoints for oil, this is something I’ll keep in mind for my truck for future oil changes.

Just curious, did you do any other preventative maintenance, flushes or anything else to reduce/remove carbon on your past ecoboosts?

Like run some oil with specific detergents (rislone, sea foam, berrymans, etc) for a short time and then change it to something else to flush out carbon or gunk deposits? Or even running detergents straight through a vacuum line vs. the gas tank?

I don’t have a lot of hope for snake oils because 4 cylinder aluminum engines from my past….seemed to blow up anyway pretending to be a backyard mechanic vs old n/a V6s or V8s that magically fix themselves with parts store elixirs sometimes lol. But any advice is appreciated as I have an ecoboost that sits a lot now so I suspect carbon buildup is going to be something I need to watch out for in the future.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Appreciate the info and insight on flashpoints for oil, this is something I’ll keep in mind for my truck for future oil changes.

Just curious, did you do any other preventative maintenance, flushes or anything else to reduce/remove carbon on your past ecoboosts?

Like run some oil with specific detergents (rislone, sea foam, berrymans, etc) for a short time and then change it to something else to flush out carbon or gunk deposits? Or even running detergents straight through a vacuum line vs. the gas tank?

I don’t have a lot of hope for snake oils because 4 cylinder aluminum engines from my past….seemed to blow up anyway pretending to be a backyard mechanic vs old n/a V6s or V8s that magically fix themselves with parts store elixirs sometimes lol. But any advice is appreciated as I have an ecoboost that sits a lot now so I suspect carbon buildup is going to be something I need to watch out for in the future.
In my opinion, the only way to treat carbon buildup on the pistons and in the piston rings is to prevent it from happening in the first place. As for the valves, nothing you can do, not even a catchcan will prevent carbon buildup on them. The only thing that could prevent carbon build up on the valves would be some kind of water or meth injection system but it's an expensive and complicated setup, requires reularly refilling the system's tank and I'm sure more than just that, I never considered adding it to either of my previous ecoboost 2.0 engines. I did walnut blast the valves on both every 30k miles, on my Focus ST I did run an aftermarket air oil separator and it didn't seem to help with valve carbon buildup because most of the buildup comes from oil seeping past the valve seals and guides onto the valves so a catch can wouldn't even do anything to prevent that. I didn't bother spending money on one for my Escape 2.0 and I didn't notice any difference in carbon accumulation after 30k miles and I won't put one on my Maverick either. As for seafoam or berrymans, I'm just not a fan of running the stuff mixed in my oil. I'm not convinced you can ever really flush your engine well enough to get that stuff out and my fear would be that it would contaminate any oil I do put into the system since you'll never get all of the oil/seafoam/berrymans mixture out when you do change the oil. I don't have any scientific methodology behind that opinion, it's just how I feel and with about 300k combined miles on 2 previous 2.0 Ecoboost engines I'll stick with my successful formula which seems to be; good quality oil changes with an oil change interval based on UOA and cleaning the valves every 30k miles.

Another thing people need to consider; trans fluid changes. The 8f35 doesn't have a serviceable filter unless you want to crack open the trans case, that's the only way to access it. Why Ford did it this way I'm not sure but it is what it is. Consider changing your trans fluid every 30k miles especially if you regularly tow or have upgraded your engine for more power. Ford claims the trans fluid is good for 150k under normal conditions which to me is laughable.

Also on AWD units the PTU is subjected to a ton of heat due to being located so close to the turbocharger. This is a high failure item on Ford AWD vehicles. Ford used to claim that it's lifetime fluid in it (gear oil) but have since added a drain bolt to the underside so the fluid can be changed. Personally I would also consider changing the fluid every 30k miles, it's just a couple of quarts of gear oil I believe and cheap insurance to keep this in good shape. Failure of it can be catastrophic also taking out other nearby high dollar items.

Voodude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Voodude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5w 30 weight oil is recommended for the turbo AWD 2.0 EB. Is 5w 40 a consideration? Used it on other turbo engines.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im over here laughing at this video, it hydrolocked because snow got in the catch can. LOL sure it did. I stopped watching after that was said.
Sponsored