Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ‘11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello, today I had the exact same issue with my '23 XLT hybrid. Thankfully I was not going very fast but the truck suddenly slowed down like someone had just slammed gear shift into low. It would not accelerate when pressing the accelerator pedal but when I let off it seemed to take off on its own. Thankfully I was only about a mile from my home and was able to Coast home with it accelerating on its own. This seems like a serious safety issue. I had Ford roadside assistance send a tow truck and it's currently sitting at a Ford dealer waiting for a diagnosis tomorrow. I just hit 18,000 miles, had the blinker recall done about a month ago.
Yep welcome to the club. My truck has been at the dealer since 3/1. You’re the first ‘23 I’ve read about though.
Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I just got hit with this junk today. Had 10k trouble free miles, got my service done including a couple reprogramming recalls and sure enough my truck died on the expressway less than 1k miles later.

2023 Lariat Hybrid deliver Feb 2023

Ford Maverick Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Mode IMG_2451

B777787

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my truck back from dealer and of course they could not duplicate. I could tell they drove it awhile and they said they took it on the freeway with no issues. They did find a different issue not related to this supposedly (HVAC communication error). They are going to replace the HVAC module later. I took mine out also on the freeway for about 42 miles and did not have any issues. Will see what happens.
After a week of driving on the highway with no issues, it happened again today. Had it towed to dealership and there it sits until Monday.

B777787

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my truck back from dealer and of course they could not duplicate. I could tell they drove it awhile and they said they took it on the freeway with no issues. They did find a different issue not related to this supposedly (HVAC communication error). They are going to replace the HVAC module later. I took mine out also on the freeway for about 42 miles and did not have any issues. Will see what happens.
Hello, today I had the exact same issue with my '23 XLT hybrid. Thankfully I was not going very fast but the truck suddenly slowed down like someone had just slammed gear shift into low. It would not accelerate when pressing the accelerator pedal but when I let off it seemed to take off on its own. Thankfully I was only about a mile from my home and was able to Coast home with it accelerating on its own. This seems like a serious safety issue. I had Ford roadside assistance send a tow truck and it's currently sitting at a Ford dealer waiting for a diagnosis tomorrow. I just hit 18,000 miles, had the blinker recall done about a month ago.
I had mine back for a week driving to and from work with no issues after being at the shop when they could not duplicate and today it happened again about 500 miles after the first time. Glad it didn't happen while I was in the mountains.

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ‘11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is so frustrating.
This seems like a class action waiting to happen.

Sponsored

Xitment

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I just got hit with this junk today. Had 10k trouble free miles, got my service done including a couple reprogramming recalls and sure enough my truck died on the expressway less than 1k miles later.

2023 Lariat Hybrid deliver Feb 2023

IMG_2451.png
That sucks! I'm filing a report with the NHTSA to make sure this issue is being tracked.

gatornut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Happened to me on Friday afternoon. Fortunately, I was on side road. I also got the latest firmware update last month. Waiting for dealer response tomorrow (not really). Will update if I get any real information.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a code reader that can reset the computer. I don't want to give them my truck just to collect dust while corporate figures out a fix.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just had this exact thing happen on my 23 Hybrid XLT today. 15152 miles, had recalls 23E07, 23E09, and 23C41 completed on 9 Feb. The limp mode thing that it's doing now, combined with no response to throttle input (just accelerates when put into drive) is INSANELY dangerous. I had no idea what was going on after the fault occurred and as I was sitting in a 30 that dropped to 20, riding my brakes non-stop is not a good thing.
I had all those updates done to my 22 lariat hybrid with 22k miles. Now at 26k miles no bad issues. Had updates done remotely in my drive after having noco genius 5 maintainer on 12 volt over night. (Insurance that 12 volt had at least 12.2v in case tech didn't put 12 v charge current on truck during update. Rumor that less than 12.1 soc can hinder proper updating?). Random acceleration sounds to me like cruise control (maybe only active cruise?) is on and vehicle in front of you changes lanes so your cruise automatically resumes,????. Probably not that since stepping on brake should turn cruise off. BUT IF UPDATE WAS NOT SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED = who knows. I would try to get dealer to reapply all updates in case they did not update properly. Next I would have my noco maintainer on 12 volt all night every night to insure that all sensors were operating as well as possible. Should NOT HAVE TO DO THIS BUT!!!! Good luck....

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a thought.... Has any anyone with this problem put the hybrid maverick into tow haul, sport, or low in standard, eco, or slippery to see if it changes anything. MIGHT help indicate software issues.????

Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a code reader that can reset the computer. I don't want to give them my truck just to collect dust while corporate figures out a fix.
Welp. Truck cleared itself this morning when I was driving back from daycare. Also shows no issues in Ford Pass now. I'll still scan it once the reader arrives.

Shinoda

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm having the same issue on my 23 XLT. CEL cleared itself and all seems well until it happens again.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The HAL 9000 Computer built in Urbana, ILL is secretly controling us.

Where was HAL 9000 made?

Ford Maverick Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Mode d9GcSLh407f95o6bysSymFVJsS5Y7CBwkXlmAciglu7qy8Zw&s

Urbana, Illinois

The HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic Computer) 9000 computer is an artificial intelligence and the onboard computer on the spaceship Discovery One. HAL 9000, more commonly called "HAL", became operational at the HAL plant in Urbana, Illinois, on January 12, 1992.

We are doomed!!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Welp. Truck cleared itself this morning when I was driving back from daycare. Also shows no issues in Ford Pass now. I'll still scan it once the reader arrives.
I would bet that 12v recharged enough so that startup test of sensors completed properly with passing voltages, etc AND enough no fault cycles occured to clear the problem has occured flag. Remember that driving in LOW will maximize Regen braking and also use the hydraulic brakes as needed. Think of it as computer controlled brake riding, being sold as a downhill coasting control but try it in stop and go traffic from 0 up to whatever mph you want. LOW also runs the ice much more as it rapidly fills the HVB to soc 70-72% and uses engine braking prior to using hydraulic brakes. Will not directly force more rapid 12v charging but can possibly reduce draw on 12v. A THOUGHT= Maybe when dealer hooks up computer to test truck and cannot replicate problem the 12v now has adequate soc OR the computer also places 12v on to bus! Shouldn't be that way but it's a logical possibility.
ALSO reduced power mode can be triggered by a low coolant fluid level (or possibly a bad sensor reading of it.). Maybe look at ice temp when truck gets the low power screen???

Last edited:

B777787

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the people that are seeing this issue, has anyone noticed if it is happening when after driving a long distance in heavy head winds?
Sponsored