First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plus with the 400 watt outlet an electric blanket will keep you toasty warm. Yes just leave your hybrid running and it'll kick out 400 watts for ever and ever.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MesaMav

MesaMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At the price point of cabover popups and tents, why not just get a teardrop trailer?
Because I'm also towing a small fishing boat. I'm an avid fisherman.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At the price point of cabover popups and tents, why not just get a teardrop trailer?
I'm considering the GFC camper because it serves as a secure cap for hauling things when not camping, and allows you to stand up to change clothes or stretch. Also room for a porta potty in the bed so you don't have to leave the camper to find a place in the middle of the night. GFC even though pricey, is very well made and offers some things you can't have, even in a $25,000 tear drop. The extreme lightweight 250# of the GFC means your fuel economy will barely change, compared to pulling a 1,000#-1,500# tear drop. Parking with a GFC will never be an issue, and truck and tent camper can be backed in a standard garage.

OP
OP
MesaMav

MesaMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never cease to be amazed about the (horrifically bad) value proposition of cabover and roof tents. Yet, they keep becoming more and more popular. For most I know with them, it's just an irrationally expensive social signaling mechanism (hey everybody, I want you to think that I'm outdoorsy), but I hope OP intends to actually use it.

We've camped in our Maverick three times since taking ownership in late May. Our trusty $100 6-person tent did the trick.
Well, I am in fact, actually outdoorsy. I'm 62 and just about to retire. I'm just a dumb old carpet layer. Worked hard all my life, only taken one actual vacation in my life. That was 41 years ago. I payed my bills, I've raised 3 awesome kids that actually have jobs and contribute to this great country. I'm widowed, I've saved, scrimped and sacrificed to get where I am today. I'm an avid fisherman, I have 2 racing jet skis that I use almost weekly, I have an adventure bike, a bass boat and a very cool houseboat on Lake Powell. I'm on Lake Powell at least one week a month fishing during the spring, summer and fall and I am planning a very extended tour of the Grand Circle early next year in the Maverick with the camper. (Google "The Grand Circle". Very cool)
Nothing of mine sits around much including me. I figure I might have 20 good years left if I'm lucky so I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I'm not going to be that guy sitting in my lounger, chain smoking Camels, drinking a 12 pack of Bud and watching Maury Povich or some mind numbing crap. I'd rather go down with the ship or off the mountain with the bike.
Hmmm. I kinda went overboard, didn't I. Ha.
Anyway, the camper originally cost me $100.00 plus about $40.00 in gas so I think it will eventually pay off.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I am in fact, actually outdoorsy. I'm 62 and just about to retire. I'm just a dumb old carpet layer. Worked hard all my life, only taken one actual vacation in my life. That was 41 years ago. I payed my bills, I've raised 3 awesome kids that actually have jobs and contribute to this great country. I'm widowed, I've saved, scrimped and sacrificed to get where I am today. I'm an avid fisherman, I have 2 racing jet skis that I use almost weekly, I have an adventure bike, a bass boat and a very cool houseboat on Lake Powell. I'm on Lake Powell at least one week a month fishing during the spring, summer and fall and I am planning a very extended tour of the Grand Circle early next year in the Maverick with the camper. (Google "The Grand Circle". Very cool)
Nothing of mine sits around much including me. I figure I might have 20 good years left if I'm lucky so I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I'm not going to be that guy sitting in my lounger, chain smoking Camels, drinking a 12 pack of Bud and watching Maury Povich or some mind numbing crap. I'd rather go down with the ship or off the mountain with the bike.
Hmmm. I kinda went overboard, didn't I. Ha.
Anyway, the camper originally cost me $100.00 plus about $40.00 in gas so I think it will eventually pay off.
Well, that's great. You seem to be someone for whom one of these makes sense, that makes you an outlier. The cost/utility ratio, plus the fact that they negatively impact handling and truck efficiency at all times makes them not a great value proposition for most people. I know a few people with $5k roof tents that have literally never used them - good to hear that won't be you.

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's actually made for the old Nissan hard bodies and the like. It wasn't designed for the f150 at all so it should slip right in the bed of the Maverick.
I haven't started on it yet. That's my first project when I retire in a few months. Shouldn't be tough. Just sheet tin, 1x2s and plywood.
My first delema is do I want to cut it down to 6 ft so it is on the tailgate or cut it down to 52 inches, perhaps 53 inches so I can close the tailgate.
Any thoughts on what size would be best from you guys?
I'd probably cut to 53 myself, make sure I could lock everything up nice and tight without having to construct additional wall to bridge the gap between the camper rear and tailgate.

Could also tack in a tarp to the ceiling of the camper shell, unfurl it when you drop the tailgate and now you're still fully enclosed at 6' without the camper overhanging the short bed.
Sponsored