Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello, would a hybrid owner post a pic of their converter please! I’ve read different post that that the converter is tucked up closer to engine.
I ask my sales person to look on the lot and tell me… He didn’t know where to look😱
Sponsored

HD676

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley, 2007 Shelby GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From what I have seen it is tucked up between the engine and firewall. Difficult area to steal it from without working for it.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
You don't have to worry about thieves stealing it, they're not going to waste their time when there are so many easier targets. Their objective is quick, probably somewhere around a minute to cut an exposed cat off. The part that people seem to think is the cat is actually a resonator.

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Here's a photo of the parts diagram, looks like the cat converter is parallel to the engine block instead of perpendicular to it for better packaging and less intrusion into the space the driveline needs to occupy.

Ford Maverick Pic of catalytic converter on hybrid wanted please Screenshot_20220110-192347

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a photo of the parts diagram, looks like the cat converter is parallel to the engine block instead of perpendicular to it for better packaging and less intrusion into the space the driveline needs to occupy.

Screenshot_20220110-192347.png
Thank you

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank god. I live in LA. Everyone’s prius cat keeps getting stolen. Muffler shops even have banners on the street that advertise “Cat Cages Installed Here.”

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank god. I live in LA. Everyone’s prius cat keeps getting stolen. Muffler shops even have banners on the street that advertise “Cat Cages Installed Here.”
Yup here in Seattle too

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like seeing the catalytic converter tucked up in the engine bay, but I have another worry.

Since many converter thieves are dimwits or high on whatever, will some of them mistake the Hybrid's battery and/or related cooling/heating sub-systems for a catalytic converter?

Most petty thieves aren't "the sharpest knife in the drawer" to begin with, and in the dark I could see some doing damage to the Hybrid system just before they get zapped by the battery. Imagine them saying "Hey bro hold my doobie...that's the largest converter I've ever seen, we're rich!".

Perhaps I'm overthinking this as I impatiently wait for my Hybrid to be build and delivered. But maybe I'll put a decal on the right side of the Hybrid's battery that says "⚡WARNING⚡ - This is not a catalytic converter you DOOFUS". (just kidding)

Last edited:
Sponsored

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about Cat theft as well. For the most part its not a problem where I live, especially when parked in a fenced in yard with several large dogs on the property, but its still in the back of my mind a bit.

From what I have read thieves tend to target hybrids due to the higher concentration of precious metals in the converter.

I'm actually thinking of removing the hybrid badge as a visual deterrent, since there is no other easy way for a stranger to tell which driveline I have.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like seeing the catalytic converter tucked up in the engine bay, but I have another worry.

Since many converter thieves are dimwits or high on whatever, will some of them mistake the Hybrid's battery and/or related cooling/heating sub-systems for a catalytic converter?

Most petty thieves aren't "the sharpest knife in the drawer" to begin with, and in the dark I could see some doing damage to the Hybrid system just before they get zapped by the battery. Imagine them saying "Hey bro hold my doobie...that's the largest converter I've ever seen, we're rich!".

Perhaps I'm overthinking this as I impatiently wait for my Hybrid to be build and delivered. But maybe I'll put a decal on the right side of the Hybrid's battery that says "⚡WARNING⚡ - This is not a catalytic converter you DOOFUS". (just kidding)
The battery is a box with wires coming out of it, while a catalytic converter is a lumpy tube inline with the exhaust system. While thieves and criminals may not generally top the intelligence charts, they usually can perform simple tasks without drooling all over themselves, which is probably about the intellectual level it takes to tell the difference between these systems.

I also suspect that most catalytic converter thieves have bothered to check the schematics of popular hybrid vehicles as part of their prep. These guys are kind of infamous for their speed, which I doubt they got by crawling under mystery cars and hunting for parts live.

Bruce W

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Latiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't have to worry about thieves stealing it, they're not going to waste their time when there are so many easier targets. Their objective is quick, probably somewhere around a minute to cut an exposed cat off. The part that people seem to think is the cat is actually a resonator.
So a thief may cut off the resonator. What is the cost to replace that?

Bruce W

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Latiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe it needes to be labeled (not a cat>>>

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We can only hope one of these degenerate thieves accidentally cuts into a hybrid high voltage line and gets a 400V shock of their lives.
Sponsored