Sponsored

Hybrid Catalytic Converter Theft

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I have had it stolen in plan daylight. The cat on the hybrid is easy to get at compared to the 2.0. From around here the people stealing target vehicles they can get under. If they come out with a lowering kit that would be best solution. Lifting will put a target on the truck.

Hooking up a motion sensor under there is an option also. I have one (now) on my lifted truck that triggers the door to think it opened making the alarm go off. Not sure the wiring in the maverick though.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
You need to count your blessings. It is a huge problem on the left coast.
TX as well, at least here in the Houston area. I know a couple of people personally who’ve had this happen.

Now it seems higher end lights (factory led headlights, blind spot rears) and mirrors are being targeted as well…at least there’s been a few segments as such on the local news lately. Thieves will move on to anything worth decent money I guess.

Kinda make me wonder if the hybrid batteries themselves will become a hot item in vehicles like the maverick. Exterior mounted, small and prob MUCH easier to remove than something like say a Tesla, and I’m sure $$$$ to replace.

OP
OP
RonFLA

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. I don't think I've ever even met anyone who's had a catalytic converter stolen.
Well if you ever come to Vegas we can meet I got my Maverick and started parking my Prius on the street in front of my house and it was raining and having a new Maverick I thought I would take my car went to start it and it sounded like a Army tank without a muffler so loud you can't hear the radio It SUCKS .

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You could just choose not to stress over events that are extremely unlikely to happen to you - and that you're insured for if it does.
Any insurance claim will end up raising your rates, and most of us have deductibles (mine is $1000). Regarding "extremely unlikely", again that will depend on where you live. Houston has a huge issue with activist judges, district attorney, mayor, and some say now even the new police chief that are SUPER soft on crime so crime is rapidly increasing (recently gave an armed robber deferred adjudication who only days later got in a shootout with police in another armed robbery), and we've seen a 400% increase in catalytic converter thefts since just last year.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any insurance claim will end up raising your rates, and most of us have deductibles (mine is $1000). Regarding "extremely unlikely", again that will depend on where you live. Houston has a huge issue with activist judges, district attorney, mayor, and some say now even the new police chief that are SUPER soft on crime so crime is rapidly increasing (recently gave an armed robber deferred adjudication who only days later got in a shootout with police in another armed robbery), and we've seen a 400% increase in catalytic converter thefts since just last year.
Your insurance coverage appears to be very different in your state from what we have in NC.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your insurance coverage appears to be very different in your state from what we have in NC.
Not really, I've lived in NC, it just depends on what plan you shop for. Most choose a $500 or $1000 deductible, as it drastically lowers your rate. Claims will raise your rates and they don't have to disclose that to you, so you may not even realize it increased if not paying attention to what the upcoming bill would be. Here's a source that shows how much different claims will increase your rates on average: https://www.caranddriver.com/car-insurance/a36433349/does-filing-a-claim-increase-car-insurance/

So in short, for the average American, a catalytic converter theft is likely to cost them ~$750 + ~3% insurance rate hike (for a $1500 policy, that's ~$50 a year for several years).

While most people don't have to worry about catalytic converter theft, those with target vehicles should as the criminals that do this all the time have a list of vehicles they look for. I wouldn't drive a Prius or Tacoma in Houston without taking basic precautions, but we won't know yet if the Maverick ends up on their list.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really, I've lived in NC, it just depends on what plan you shop for. Most choose a $500 or $1000 deductible, as it drastically lowers your rate. Claims will raise your rates and they don't have to disclose that to you, so you may not even realize it increased if not paying attention to what the upcoming bill would be. Here's a source that shows how much different claims will increase your rates on average: https://www.caranddriver.com/car-insurance/a36433349/does-filing-a-claim-increase-car-insurance/

So in short, for the average American, a catalytic converter theft is likely to cost them ~$750 + ~3% insurance rate hike (for a $1500 policy, that's ~$50 a year for several years).

While most people don't have to worry about catalytic converter theft, those with target vehicles should as the criminals that do this all the time have a list of vehicles they look for. I wouldn't drive a Prius or Tacoma in Houston without taking basic precautions, but we won't know yet if the Maverick ends up on their list.
And yet, I had an accident two years ago which was not my fault, and my premium didn't go up. My car was hit in a parking lot by an unknown driver 5 years before that, and my premium didn't go up. My husband's truck was totaled when someone ran a signal light 12 years ago, and our premium didn't go up. Why didn't our premium increase? Like ever?

Last edited:

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And yet, I had an accident two years ago which was not my fault, and my premium didn't go up. I was my car was hit in a parking lot by an unknown driver 5 years before that, and my premium didn't go up. My husband's truck was totaled when someone ran a signal light 12 years ago, and our premium didn't go up. Why didn't our premium increase? Like ever?
We have 2k deductible my wife's car but it really sucks paying that out when insurance pays out less then that. I had honestly did not think my wife would side swipe a pole at her work when she had 50ft of room to avoid it.
Anyways our rate did not go up when the policy renewed. When I wanted a quote for the mav and listed her as a driver it did.
Then there is my commercial vehicle insurance had it for 3 years then another company for 3 years never filed a claim. Truck is getting older but my rates keep going up 5-20 percent every year.
Then when I went for renewal I said I am driving way less miles over the last 2 years 5k instead of 30k+ also taken a significant drop in income I just got charged more.
I actually paid more in insurance then I made all this year.

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And yet, I had an accident two years ago which was not my fault, and my premium didn't go up. I was my car was hit in a parking lot by an unknown driver 5 years before that, and my premium didn't go up. My husband's truck was totaled when someone ran a signal light 12 years ago, and our premium didn't go up. Why didn't our premium increase? Like ever?
When I was a kid, I fell asleep at the wheel and caused a three-vehicle accident. No serious damage, and 100% my fault. When we notified the insurance company, there was very much a warning premiums would go up.

About 2 weeks later the insurance company called and told us one of the people in the accident, who was not at fault, tried to commit insurance fraud and they were suing the bejesus out of him. Our premiums ended up not increasing after that. Even though, again, it was my fault.

Like most things related to big business, inner decision making is largely obscured from the customer and it can be hard to impossible to determine why things happen. As a general rule though, its probably safe to assume insurance is going to get you when they can, baring weird circumstances like the above.

EDIT: As an aside, this thread reminded me to take my Chevy Impala off my insurance (Undrivable). Renewal was coming up so that saved me 200 bucks-ish.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have 2k deductible my wife's car but it really sucks paying that out when insurance pays out less then that. I had honestly did not think my wife would side swipe a pole at her work when she had 50ft of room to avoid it.
Anyways our rate did not go up when the policy renewed. When I wanted a quote for the mav and listed her as a driver it did.
Then there is my commercial vehicle insurance had it for 3 years then another company for 3 years never filed a claim. Truck is getting older but my rates keep going up 5-20 percent every year.
Then when I went for renewal I said I am driving way less miles over the last 2 years 5k instead of 30k+ also taken a significant drop in income I just got charged more.
I actually paid more in insurance then I made all this year.
Well obviously, when there's an accident where the insured is at fault, insurance premiums will go up. That's true whether the vehicle is a Maverick or any other vehicle. I admit I didn't even know it was possible to have a $2k deductible, and I can't even comprehend how a lender would allow it, but leaving all of that aside, what does that have to do with someone jacking up a Maverick and stealing the catalytic converter? I mean unless the insured helped with the theft, how is that the car owner's fault?

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As I/we divert this catalytic converter thread further off course, here's something to consider:

I used to sell auto/home insurance in the 1970s/80s. Back then your premium was based on type of vehicle, driving record, distance to work, home location, multi-car discount, etc, etc. Lower deductible amounts and higher amounts of liability insurance also raised your bill.

But now in many states the insurance companies also pull a credit check on you, and a lower score can also increase your overall amount. I still don't understand how the companies correlate your credit score to your chance of making a claim, but its in their calculations.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't aware a $2,000 deductible was even possible, either. In general you shouldn't have a deductible you're not comfortable paying. We carry $500 collision, but only $100 comprehensive.

As for the credit check thing, I suppose they could argue your "responsibility" with finances could correlate to your "responsibility" in other areas, like driving. It's a bit of a stretch. But yes, credit definitely factors into these days and they'll tell you that.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't aware a $2,000 deductible was even possible, either. In general you shouldn't have a deductible you're not comfortable paying. We carry $500 collision, but only $100 comprehensive.

As for the credit check thing, I suppose they could argue your "responsibility" with finances could correlate to your "responsibility" in other areas, like driving. It's a bit of a stretch. But yes, credit definitely factors into these days and they'll tell you that.
Geez I carry deductibles of $250 collision & $25 comprehensive and on homeowners replacement cost rider plus 20% instead of default 10% of base house coverage for out buildings. I have detached garage so that lowers house with garage premium and garage is then covered under under 10% default outbuilding coverage which I have doubled for a total of $88k. Costs more but I installed class 4 metal roof and signed beauty waiver on ins policy so those make premium significantly cheaper. What seems expensive is Medicare supplement which is at age age 78 just over $3200/yr each for me and wife. Sorry about the digression but insurance claims happen and I find it less stressful to budget premium costs versus trying to maintain humongous cash reserves. In one year I had $5800 rat damage under a pickup hood ($25 deductable) (consider buying motion activated high frequency varmint deterrent device for under hoods) followed by $8200 hail damage ($25 deductable) on same pickup plus on CR-V had someone backing out of parking spot pull plastic fender flare and scratch paint on passenger rear $900 ($25) deductable! 😱😱😱
Sponsored