Maverikkilake

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ordered a hybrid lariat lux as a base for my new overlanding build. Thinking the bed size and, the outlets and wiring points, and the lower access height (I clock in at a towering 5’4) should be perfect. I’m not planning to take this thing down any tough trails but it should serve great as a mobile camper/explorer. Anyone have thoughts on using the flexbed to build a DIY kitchen/storage solution? I don’t want to spend $1000 on a box I could build myself but most DIY builds I can find online are meant for much larger trucks or crossovers without a tailgate to consider.
Sponsored

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.
The tailgate, when lowered, is about 30" high (as tall as a table.)

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
Ford Maverick Overlanding Kitchen Build 1633537813918

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.

OP
OP

Maverikkilake

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
1633537813918.png

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.
I was thinking about something like that and I think I might go in this direction:

Would probably need to be modified to fit between the wheel wells but I don’t think I’d need the second giant drawer.

I also thought the Drifta systems are very cool but might be a bit complex to build and they’re not cheap or easy to buy since it’s an Australian company. Plus I don’t love that they’re not able to be mounted to the truck bed and slide out like a drawer.

https://www.kakaducamping.com/products/drifta-camp-kitchen-dpos

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

One of the things that is really lost right now in a lot of these picture and videos is a sense of scale. Many don't realize just how small this bed is. I thought I would mock it up and see what opportunities there are.

Using dimensions people have provided, as well as some of the pics, I thought I would mock it up.

Trying to keep it simple, I thought I would see how much space these under bed storage units would take up. Here is what I got.
Ford Maverick Overlanding Kitchen Build 1633552219266

Ford Maverick Overlanding Kitchen Build 1633552329046

Ford Maverick Overlanding Kitchen Build 1633552359079

Last edited:

Sponsored

LaVernWinston

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
LaVern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is great. I’ve been wanting to model up the bed for myself as well just to mess around with different ideas, but I can’t find the dimensions for the actual body of the bed (thickness of the walls, etc). Yours here seem relatively accurate, is this true? If so, could you share those dimensions or point me in the direction of where they can be found?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can purchase 48" heavy duty full extension drawer glides. They take 3/4" space + 1/4" (times 2 for other side) for metal wall thickness of box to mount them. Allow 7/8" for wood box. Drawer could be the width of distance between fender Wells less 2-3" less allowance to clear fender Wells. Would have to "flex" design something to hold rear of drawer box down to keep drawer from tipping down onto tail gate. Could be square unistrut Brace attached to unistrut on each side of bed. Probably a safety leg under end of drawer when open would be wise. Make drawer depth you want to get work table height you want. Have all goodies accessable when drawer open and not have to remove a bunch of stuff stored over drawer in bed.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is great. I’ve been wanting to model up the bed for myself as well just to mess around with different ideas, but I can’t find the dimensions for the actual body of the bed (thickness of the walls, etc). Yours here seem relatively accurate, is this true? If so, could you share those dimensions or point me in the direction of where they can be found?

Hey Lavern,

I don't have anything official and i've mocked it up soley based on dimensions provided by Ford or forum members.

I am an architect though, so I try to be as accurate as I can and I'm happy to send you what I have.

Is there a format that works best for you?

LaVernWinston

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
LaVern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Lavern,

I don't have anything official and i've mocked it up soley based on dimensions provided by Ford or forum members.

I am an architect though, so I try to be as accurate as I can and I'm happy to send you what I have.

Is there a format that works best for you?
Ahh this explains the nice drawing. I bet this is pretty fun for you, taking a small break from architecture and applying your techniques to a vehicle. I myself dabble in technical design and modeling for my work so I use solidworks. I’m still quite new though, so I haven’t explored the engineering drawing side of things. Because of this, I’m mostly familiar with .prt or .sldprt and less familiar with converting a drawing to a model with .drw or .slddrw. Using the latter would make for some fun learning, but I’m also able to go off of the drawing you’ve already posted and just guesstimate for the thickness of the top of the bed wall (the plastic protection that runs the length of the top of the bed and tailgate, what is this even called? Bed rail?)

Regardless, thanks for the info you’ve already posted, it’s a lot of help.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Ordered a hybrid lariat lux as a base for my new overlanding build. Thinking the bed size and, the outlets and wiring points, and the lower access height (I clock in at a towering 5’4) should be perfect. I’m not planning to take this thing down any tough trails but it should serve great as a mobile camper/explorer. Anyone have thoughts on using the flexbed to build a DIY kitchen/storage solution? I don’t want to spend $1000 on a box I could build myself but most DIY builds I can find online are meant for much larger trucks or crossovers without a tailgate to consider.
I ordered a Hybrid Lariat also...hoping to do light overlanding forest roads with it too.
Level Kit, Bed Cover and Mat is first options I'm doing level kit for little height in front.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
That may present an issue if you want to stand at the tailgate and use it as a countertop. A table or desk is typically about 30", a countertop being 35", and a bar top being 40".

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love everything about this post. I'm right there with you at 5'6". Somehow, some way I will figure out how to make the Maverick my pint-sized overlander. Would have loved a truck topper (thanks Ford, for overpricing the Maverick topper...) and may go Softopper instead since I'm in Florida. Trying to figure out creative ideas to make this a reality. My relative in GA has 450 acres that is just waiting to be camped on and explored!

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love everything about this post. I'm right there with you at 5'6". Somehow, some way I will figure out how to make the Maverick my pint-sized overlander. Would have loved a truck topper (thanks Ford, for overpricing the Maverick topper...) and may go Softopper instead since I'm in Florida. Trying to figure out creative ideas to make this a reality. My relative in GA has 450 acres that is just waiting to be camped on and explored!
I too plan on creating a camping kitchen for the Maverick bed. Worked in a cabinet shop and as a carpenter growing up...but plan on a rough-in frame similar to the above video but it is so much easier and more functional to use "slide in plastic storage binds" to load up and store them inside the shelves. So much easier to take out, load up, and wash as needed...and lighter & cheaper than wooden boxes. Challenge is finding right sizes in width and height to fit the bed dimensions and make use of the bed side indentations.

Last edited:

BlackhawkBen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Planning the same thing with my Lariat Lux FX4. Thinking I can use the flex bed system to lock in the unit and make it removable so I can still use the bed for work during the week and then camp on the weekend.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I debated a few options.

1) roof top tent over bed with fold up. Cover. Put the kitchen stuff in drawers and use the tailgate for everything. Roll put fridge ect.

2) build a light weight truck camper that expands outward so you pull it out over the tail gate. Then build a bed and kitchen inside

3) buy the snugtop and have a pull out extension kind of like the truck camper idea but smaller.

Cost wise the roof top tent is expensive. The snugtop is also expensive the cheapest is build a truck camper or just pitch a tent and sleep outside of the truck.

You could just use a bivy sack in the bed of the truck. If you want cheapest and easiest option.
Sponsored