Overlanding Kitchen Build

Maverikkilake

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Trim
Lariat
Ordered a hybrid lariat lux as a base for my new overlanding build. Thinking the bed size and, the outlets and wiring points, and the lower access height (I clock in at a towering 5’4) should be perfect. I’m not planning to take this thing down any tough trails but it should serve great as a mobile camper/explorer. Anyone have thoughts on using the flexbed to build a DIY kitchen/storage solution? I don’t want to spend $1000 on a box I could build myself but most DIY builds I can find online are meant for much larger trucks or crossovers without a tailgate to consider.
Advertisement

PapaDave

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Trim
XLT
I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.

Dallas Maverick

Lariat
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Trim
Lariat
I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.
The tailgate, when lowered, is about 30" high (as tall as a table.)

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
1633537813918.png

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.

OP
OP

Maverikkilake

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Trim
Lariat
The tailgate, when lowered, is about 30" high (as tall as a table.)

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
1633537813918.png

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.
I was thinking about something like that and I think I might go in this direction:

Would probably need to be modified to fit between the wheel wells but I don’t think I’d need the second giant drawer.

I also thought the Drifta systems are very cool but might be a bit complex to build and they’re not cheap or easy to buy since it’s an Australian company. Plus I don’t love that they’re not able to be mounted to the truck bed and slide out like a drawer.

https://www.kakaducamping.com/products/drifta-camp-kitchen-dpos

Dallas Maverick

Lariat
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Trim
Lariat
One of the things that is really lost right now in a lot of these picture and videos is a sense of scale. Many don't realize just how small this bed is. I thought I would mock it up and see what opportunities there are.

Using dimensions people have provided, as well as some of the pics, I thought I would mock it up.

Trying to keep it simple, I thought I would see how much space these under bed storage units would take up. Here is what I got.
1633552219266.png

1633552329046.png

1633552359079.png

Last edited:

LaVernWinston

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Trim
XLT
This is great. I’ve been wanting to model up the bed for myself as well just to mess around with different ideas, but I can’t find the dimensions for the actual body of the bed (thickness of the walls, etc). Yours here seem relatively accurate, is this true? If so, could you share those dimensions or point me in the direction of where they can be found?

MakinDoForNow

XLT
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CR-V 2018 Frontier
Trim
XLT
You can purchase 48" heavy duty full extension drawer glides. They take 3/4" space + 1/4" (times 2 for other side) for metal wall thickness of box to mount them. Allow 7/8" for wood box. Drawer could be the width of distance between fender Wells less 2-3" less allowance to clear fender Wells. Would have to "flex" design something to hold rear of drawer box down to keep drawer from tipping down onto tail gate. Could be square unistrut Brace attached to unistrut on each side of bed. Probably a safety leg under end of drawer when open would be wise. Make drawer depth you want to get work table height you want. Have all goodies accessable when drawer open and not have to remove a bunch of stuff stored over drawer in bed.

Dallas Maverick

Lariat
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Trim
Lariat
This is great. I’ve been wanting to model up the bed for myself as well just to mess around with different ideas, but I can’t find the dimensions for the actual body of the bed (thickness of the walls, etc). Yours here seem relatively accurate, is this true? If so, could you share those dimensions or point me in the direction of where they can be found?

Hey Lavern,

I don't have anything official and i've mocked it up soley based on dimensions provided by Ford or forum members.

I am an architect though, so I try to be as accurate as I can and I'm happy to send you what I have.

Is there a format that works best for you?

LaVernWinston

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Trim
XLT
Hey Lavern,

I don't have anything official and i've mocked it up soley based on dimensions provided by Ford or forum members.

I am an architect though, so I try to be as accurate as I can and I'm happy to send you what I have.

Is there a format that works best for you?
Ahh this explains the nice drawing. I bet this is pretty fun for you, taking a small break from architecture and applying your techniques to a vehicle. I myself dabble in technical design and modeling for my work so I use solidworks. I’m still quite new though, so I haven’t explored the engineering drawing side of things. Because of this, I’m mostly familiar with .prt or .sldprt and less familiar with converting a drawing to a model with .drw or .slddrw. Using the latter would make for some fun learning, but I’m also able to go off of the drawing you’ve already posted and just guesstimate for the thickness of the top of the bed wall (the plastic protection that runs the length of the top of the bed and tailgate, what is this even called? Bed rail?)

Regardless, thanks for the info you’ve already posted, it’s a lot of help.

bgn

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Trim
Lariat
Saw someone's Decked system on a Ranger Tremor today. The drawers themselves are tiny and then there's barely any space between the system and the top of the bed. I imagine this issue is magnified on the Maverick given the size.

Advertisement

Advertisement