Sponsored

Maverick overlanding build and overlanding trailer project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got confirmation my Maverick is built. As soon as it gets here we will start our new shop project. First time for us doing a truck, we've been building DSM's along with some other platforms mixed in for over 30 years now.

The Maverick build is going to be concentrating on Overlanding but we will also concentrate on the performance parts and tuning of the truck too.

I've started a new overlanding trailer, I couldn't find anything remotely close to what I wanted so decided to build it, it's something we may even offer.

Trailer is being built to haul my side by side with enclosed front storage for all our camping gear and a deck over that which will hold our overlanding tent.

Here's a picture of the frame as of a few days ago. Next few days all the frame work should be done and then it will all be cleaned and covered in bed liner. Then the decking will go down and the front storage area will get closed in with drawer slides on each side. I'll update as the trailer build goes.

Can't wait for the truck! Cactus grey, 2.0 AWD, Max Tow and FX4 package.

Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding build and overlanding trailer project. IMG-0746
Sponsored

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Wait a minute here, are you the legendary DSM tuner David Buschur? If so, fuck. yes.

Excited to see what you come up with for the trailer and anything you develop for the Maverick! What tent you running up top?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wait a minute here, are you the legendary DSM tuner David Buschur? If so, fuck. yes.

Excited to see what you come up with for the trailer and anything you develop for the Maverick! What tent you running up top?
LOL, yeah, that's me. Thank you very much.

I've got a Smittybilt overlanding tent, 2 person. It will go on this trailer build for now and also be used on the truck, one of our first projects is an overlanding rack for the Maverick.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
More progress on the overlanding trailer yesterday. The front box will be enclosed with large slide out drawers for my Hardigg cases, propane, water, on demand shower. The enclosure ended up bigger than I had wanted to clear the side by side but in the end this should be killer.

Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding build and overlanding trailer project. IMG-0750

Ralli

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Excited! Can't wait to follow your build progress David

Sponsored

JRPhawk

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Got confirmation my Maverick is built. As soon as it gets here we will start our new shop project. First time for us doing a truck, we've been building DSM's along with some other platforms mixed in for over 30 years now.

The Maverick build is going to be concentrating on Overlanding but we will also concentrate on the performance parts and tuning of the truck too.

I've started a new overlanding trailer, I couldn't find anything remotely close to what I wanted so decided to build it, it's something we may even offer.

Trailer is being built to haul my side by side with enclosed front storage for all our camping gear and a deck over that which will hold our overlanding tent.

Here's a picture of the frame as of a few days ago. Next few days all the frame work should be done and then it will all be cleaned and covered in bed liner. Then the decking will go down and the front storage area will get closed in with drawer slides on each side. I'll update as the trailer build goes.

Can't wait for the truck! Cactus grey, 2.0 AWD, Max Tow and FX4 package.

IMG-0746.jpg
I have the same build and color. Im curious to see your design with the truck. I was looking at getting a small camper.....

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Excited! Can't wait to follow your build progress David
Thank you! I'm super excited too, haven't been this wound up in a long time to build something!

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
What do you think the trailer will weigh when it's all done? Obviously a DIY trailer isn't gonna be as precise as a factory-built one (maybe wouldn't test the stability at 80mph) but this could be a great workaround to the Mav's towing capability. If the trailer is lightweight, but still structurally sound, you could tow a whole lot more stuff around than with a heavier, "store bought" trailer.

Very intrigued to see where this project goes!

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The trailer axles/tires are rated for 3500#'s. The trailer itself is way over built. I looked at some of the "store bought", as you put it, trailers out there and they are all angle iron thin wall junk. Anything heavy is dual axle, too wide, too short, too long, etc. I think you'd also be surprised at the poor quality most "store bought" items are, poor welds, poor measurements etc. Anyway, I won't be afraid to tow this at any speed. The weight loaded, I don't think I'll get to 3,000 pounds but it may be close. The side by side is 1400, then there will be a lot of camping gear inside, water, fuel, over landing tent and the trailer itself, which I seem to keep adding weight to everyday with more tubing, braces etc. I'll have to weigh it when it's done, you have to do that in Ohio to get a title.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.