First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who has off roaded in a 2005 civic slow pick your line and when rocks start sticking up back off. I would say 80 percent of the forest roads is fine as long as it's packed. Loose stuff even awd gets stuck on loose gravel on a 16 degree hill. 4 wheel drive with low does it no problem mavrick just sank down and started digging. Most of the time I was front wheel drive while doing gravel road hills. Hybrid is capable just has some limits same with awd. As long as you stick with packed roads you should be fine. Rutted out badly low clearance will stop you more then anything.

I've found were I want to go it's ground clearance not awd or 4x4. Now I've tested the awd and it's very good and capable and I would've got stuck if it was fwd only but I went down a grass hill that was 18 degrees then backed out I even backed down it and drove forward to see how the drive modes preformed. Slippery had zero slippage or spinning. Mud ruts spun a bit sand was way more normal did ok was a delayed awd response. Fwd would've been unable to get out but I wouldn't drive down that as i knew it was soft muddy grass on a steep slope

If your driving rough roads to a hike you should be fine in a hybrid add steep hills you should be ok with awd. If you do side logging roads were it's just loose gravel you want a 4x4 with a proper low range it's like night and day no wheel spin just crawls up it.

You might want to consider a ranger or f150 a tacoma or a wrangler if you want better off road. They all chug more gas by a fair amount. Now a 2013 tacoma has around the same tank size and it goes 450km on that tank awd mavrick 620km. So you get 120km further for the same amount of gas. The newer tacoma gets worse mpg. Don't forget the awd has a bigger gas tank then the hybrid. That's because it chugs more gas.

The mavrick really needs a lift if it had that it would be way better. Also don't forget you lose payload with thr fx4 package awd moon roof ect. So it's really 1320lbs for the xlt with every option.
Good advice. Keep in mind, the Maverick was never intended to be on the same level off-road as a 4WD. The AWD is designed to get you to your adventure, not become the off-roading adventure. I'm sure Ford has plans for a hybrid AWD Maverick ... they already have the technology and have been producing that powertrain in other models for some years.
Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was aiming to hit some shade just off a dirt road in an open field and found ourselves and the lil MavHybrid stuck in the mud! We didn’t know they were irrigating! The mud was super deep. Wonder if this would have gotten stuck if it was the AWD or if this kind of mud is just tricky all around. Ended up having to get towed out! Thankfully we have the Ford roadside assistance as part of the warranty 😅 all in all still in love with this little truck and was happy to get it dirty. 🛻 🏜 We are looking forward to getting this truck out for some family camping.

Ford Maverick Overlanding with Hybrid Maverick 8726D4A2-36DF-4EA2-8D5C-0D458083D99B

Ford Maverick Overlanding with Hybrid Maverick 5A645DBE-CBC8-4347-9ACF-42606E87A2A7

Ford Maverick Overlanding with Hybrid Maverick 0078126A-F948-43CA-BD81-C1BC7476B4FD

ladyhawkgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Was aiming to hit some shade just off a dirt road in an open field and found ourselves and the lil MavHybrid stuck in the mud! We didn’t know they were irrigating! The mud was super deep. Wonder if this would have gotten stuck if it was the AWD or if this kind of mud is just tricky all around. Ended up having to get towed out! Thankfully we have the Ford roadside assistance as part of the warranty 😅 all in all still in love with this little truck and was happy to get it dirty. 🛻 🏜 We are looking forward to getting this truck out for some family camping.

8726D4A2-36DF-4EA2-8D5C-0D458083D99B.jpeg

5A645DBE-CBC8-4347-9ACF-42606E87A2A7.jpeg

0078126A-F948-43CA-BD81-C1BC7476B4FD.jpeg
well, that sucks! i think a shovel and some recovery boards would have gotten you out of there if you were somewhere far away.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely going to look into some recovery boards. My partner brought me a shovel and some scrap plywood but didn’t get far. Lol.

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Lots of "4x4" trails that can be tackled with a FWD. The problem is if you get in just a little over your head you're toast.

Reactions: Dad

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

8726D4A2-36DF-4EA2-8D5C-0D458083D99B.jpeg

5A645DBE-CBC8-4347-9ACF-42606E87A2A7.jpeg

0078126A-F948-43CA-BD81-C1BC7476B4FD.jpeg
I have to wonder if any 4x4 midsize truck would've been able to extract itself from this mess. Maybe a full-size with V-8 torque. Boards or a tow the only way out. I'm no off road expert ... so, merely a novice's viewpoint.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have to wonder if any 4x4 midsize truck would've been able to extract itself from this mess. Maybe a full-size with V-8 torque. Boards or a tow the only way out. I'm no off road expert ... so, merely a novice's viewpoint.
In mud it would've pushed you a little further if you stop you can dig in even in 4 low. It's a locker that would help for that type of mud. Doesn't look like much but when you sink in your kind of screwed and get high centered. Then lots of digging out underneath the vechile same thing in soft snow. You chug a long lose speed then are pooched.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In mud it would've pushed you a little further if you stop you can dig in even in 4 low. It's a locker that would help for that type of mud. Doesn't look like much but when you sink in your kind of screwed and get high centered. Then lots of digging out underneath the vechile same thing in soft snow. You chug a long lose speed then are pooched.
Yep. Basically, the harder you push it the deeper in you get. Work smarter, not harder in this case.

mw_maeve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is going to sound crazy to the hardcore 4x4 lovers, but I think that the torque of the hybrids would be great for overlanding. I’m wondering what 30” tires would do to the transmission, if it would be too much. But besides that…more mpg means longer stretches inbetween gas ups. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a stupid idea?
Not stupid at all. Here's a FWD Maverick that has gone places most guys with their FX4 hasn't.

Sponsored

mw_maeve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yet you tag "4X4" and "FX4"?

1658449398942.png
Yes. I also tagged #wildlife #fordbronco and #fordraptor. Don’t forget to highlight those as well in your screenshot. Be sure to follow me while you’re at it and oh still a better ride than yours I’m sure 😘

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Yes. I also tagged #wildlife #fordbronco and #fordraptor. Don’t forget to highlight those as well in your screenshot. Be sure to follow me while you’re at it and oh still a better ride than yours I’m sure 😘
Imagine being so unsatisfied with your every day life that you feel the need to try and grow a following for your economy truck. Let me guess, you don't even like likes.

Also, you won't ever reach @ maverickfx4's level of clout, but feel free to keep pretending :poop:

nicemaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not stupid at all. Here's a FWD Maverick that has gone places most guys with their FX4 hasn't.
Do you have a lift on your truck and what size rims and tires are you running? I really like the way your looks.
Sponsored