Sponsored

Overlanding with Hybrid Maverick

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
This is going to sound crazy to the hardcore 4x4 lovers, but I think that the torque of the hybrids would be great for overlanding. I’m wondering what 30” tires would do to the transmission, if it would be too much. But besides that…more mpg means longer stretches inbetween gas ups. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a stupid idea?
Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just really depends on what "overlanding" means to you. I have explored places all over the west on beat up Forest Service/BLM roads in a Transit Connect. There are some places where i stoppedninnth van that I would have continued in a 4x4, but not many and the space and efficiency outweighed off road capability most of the time. If you do that sort of overlanding, the hybrid Maverick likely will be fine. If you are focused on more technical offroading, the hybrid wouldn't be your best bet (and if it gets too technical, the Maverick in general might not be).

So where do you want to go?

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As Marcus says, "Depends on where you want to go" If going down a forest service road is it, the Hybrid would be fine but anything more I would want AWD. I don't know the ends and out of the hybrid battery for creek/river crossings. Seems like AWD vehicles are the best for this type of adventuring which would take out Hybrid. Since the XL doesn't come with FX 4 package I will probably move up to XLT with AWD depending what the aftermarket brings for equipment. Until I started researching it, I didn't realize how big "Softoverlanding" is. The Forrester seems to be number 1 but people are doing it in the Subaru Crosstrek. To get a good idea search softoverlandingthewest on Youtube. Before his Forrester was hit by a car he took it in some places that I didn't think it would go. FYI, it isn't my channel.

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Just really depends on what "overlanding" means to you. I have explored places all over the west on beat up Forest Service/BLM roads in a Transit Connect. There are some places where i stoppedninnth van that I would have continued in a 4x4, but not many and the space and efficiency outweighed off road capability most of the time. If you do that sort of overlanding, the hybrid Maverick likely will be fine. If you are focused on more technical offroading, the hybrid wouldn't be your best bet (and if it gets too technical, the Maverick in general might not be).

So where do you want to go?
I’m not trying to rock crawl or mud, I use my Jeep pretty often in the backwoods and I know that 2WD with an air compressor can do a hell of a lot. So my main thing is service roads, trails with ruts, some mud…basically areas to get to camp. Nothing insane. I figured that the electrical outlet in the bed will be amazing for camping/air compressor over some obstacles. And the clearances should be more than ok for light/medium difficulty trails. I’m more worried about the transmission being able to handle it.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FWIW, Forrester switched to the CVT transmission in 2014. Our secondary car is a Forrester with the CVT and I am a trout fisher, mtn biker and hiker. The transmission has been fine on the roads you are talking about using. Only in a couple of areas has the AWD been important and it has been on mostly off camber areas. The bigger issue to getting to better areas has been ground clearance. Now that the Subaru is my 17 yr old daughters she will not let me do a one inch lift to it. Therefore, my interest in the Maverick since Subaru isn't making a truck anytime soon. I don't know if comparing Subaru quality and reliability is apples to apples to Ford though.

Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m not trying to rock crawl or mud, I use my Jeep pretty often in the backwoods and I know that 2WD with an air compressor can do a hell of a lot. So my main thing is service roads, trails with ruts, some mud…basically areas to get to camp. Nothing insane. I figured that the electrical outlet in the bed will be amazing for camping/air compressor over some obstacles. And the clearances should be more than ok for light/medium difficulty trails. I’m more worried about the transmission being able to handle it.
Sounds to me like the hybrid would have you covered for your purposes!

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FWIW, Forrester switched to the CVT transmission in 2014. Our secondary car is a Forrester with the CVT and I am a trout fisher, mtn biker and hiker. The transmission has been fine on the roads you are talking about using. Only in a couple of areas has the AWD been important and it has been on mostly off camber areas. The bigger issue to getting to better areas has been ground clearance. Now that the Subaru is my 17 yr old daughters she will not let me do a one inch lift to it. Therefore, my interest in the Maverick since Subaru isn't making a truck anytime soon. I don't know if comparing Subaru quality and reliability is apples to apples to Ford though.
Does the forester use an eCVT with planetary gears or a CVT with bands? I have no previous data when it comes to eCVT off road!

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know if I would call it "overlanding" but in the past I've definitely driven my old Toyota Camry down plenty of dirt roads, out to the beach, and done some car camping. I'm pretty sure the Ford Maverick will be more than capable of doing the same.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great question, asking is how we share and learn about our new interest(s) revolving around the Maverick. I am going to do the same outdoor activities with my hybrid, mild offroad and state parks exploring. I was looking into aftermarket gear for our new lil trucks, not much out there yet.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the forester use an eCVT with planetary gears or a CVT with bands? I have no previous data when it comes to eCVT off road!
Neither. Subaru uses a segmented chain in its CVT. Much more robust than belts. It still does use split pulleys that change diameter like a traditional CVT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Neither. Subaru uses a segmented chain in its CVT. Much more robust than belts. It still does use split pulleys that change diameter like a traditional CVT.
I’m hoping the eCVT with planetary gears brings a whole new level of reliability to the platform. I couldn’t imagine there to be much failures with a simple system, but I have no previous data to support that.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... I have no previous data to support that.
Maybe look in a RAV4 forum? Both are PSD eCVTs and I have to believe their owners like to use their vehicles in similar ways.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I'm seeing quite a few people that have started "overlanding" with the RAV4 Prime without any issues and those have the eCVT. 30" tires would likely be fine if you can keep them light, something like the Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus would be ideal. You'll be changing the already low 2.91:1 final drive ratio but if there aren't any obstacles or terrain to cross up the axles you'll be just fine.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Your guys definition of overlanding must be pretty loose If you think something like the maverick will be capable.

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your guys definition of overlanding must be pretty loose If you think something like the maverick will be capable.
If you check out the angles, it’s really not that bad. Plus, 2WD vehicles can get surprisingly far with air compressors/maxtrax/and a come along.
I'm seeing quite a few people that have started "overlanding" with the RAV4 Prime without any issues and those have the eCVT. 30" tires would likely be fine if you can keep them light, something like the Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus would be ideal. You'll be changing the already low 2.91:1 final drive ratio but if there aren't any obstacles or terrain to cross up the axles you'll be just fine.
what do you mean by cross up the axles?
Sponsored