First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Who would have thought 2 recalls would be needed for the taillights to work correctly? Has anyone ever thought of running a wire from a fuse to a switch and then on to the taillights. I bet you wouldn’t have 1 recall on that system in a hundred years. But that just a thought from a 79 year old guy.
Sponsored

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The unfortunate evils of computers controlling everything...

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Who would have thought 2 recalls would be needed for the taillights to work correctly? Has anyone ever thought of running a wire from a fuse to a switch and then on to the taillights. I bet you wouldn’t have 1 recall on that system in a hundred years. But that just a thought from a 79 year old guy.
Cars just aren't wired that way any more. They use a CAN bus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Reactions: MAK

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think it's likely they are trying to prevent someone from stealing your truck by tampering with the lights.

If that is what they're really changing, it's actually more along the lines of 'under-engineered' as in CANBUS is antiquated and natively insecure.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford needs to track how many times each taillight blinks, so it's all computerized now.

Sponsored

todd92

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 (2), Edge ST, Edge Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
CANBUS has been around for 33 years...a bit late to be whining. Ahhh, the good old days of 90's cars that rusted out on 5 years.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fewer wires with CANBUS. Even fewer wires with Ethernet (Cybertruck). As a fellow old guy, I remember the old days without rose-tinted glasses. People turned into ground beef because of no crash standards, no seat belts, no airbags. Cars littering the roads with various breakdowns. Bias ply tires, tires without steel belts. Cars falling apart or converting to rust in two to five years on average. Having to adjust points and timing. Having to spray the carburetor when the car wouldn't start.

The old days sucked. I could go on about ulcers before we cured those. Guys dying from heart attacks at 45 because of no statins. Smoking being considered cool and hip. The list goes on endlessly. The old days sucked. And the future can't get here soon enough.

Charles T.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Edge. 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ll put up with recalls; sure beats my first car, 1952 Olds 88😄

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Modern vehicles, modern problems.dont remember one recall on my 52 year old Plymouth.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yea the brake lights are interconnected with the PMC, BLWS, ACM, MAD, GRC, Speed sensors, Sonar detectors, Butt weight calibrator, Blinker fluid level indicator, ect....

Sponsored

DR_NC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fewer wires with CANBUS. Even fewer wires with Ethernet (Cybertruck). As a fellow old guy, I remember the old days without rose-tinted glasses. People turned into ground beef because of no crash standards, no seat belts, no airbags. Cars littering the roads with various breakdowns. Bias ply tires, tires without steel belts. Cars falling apart or converting to rust in two to five years on average. Having to adjust points and timing. Having to spray the carburetor when the car wouldn't start.

The old days sucked. I could go on about ulcers before we cured those. Guys dying from heart attacks at 45 because of no statins. Smoking being considered cool and hip. The list goes on endlessly. The old days sucked. And the future can't get here soon enough.
My Ford App messaged me Saturday morning to let me know my Maverick had low tire pressure. I went outside and found my left rear tire had a screw in it. I took the truck to my local tire shop and they put a patch on it. Tire shop closes at Noon on Saturday. If not for the Ford App, I probably would have walked out after lunch to a flat tire and would have had to plug it myself.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And how exactly would your solution detect a burned out taillight.

Don't say that you check if your taillights are working before every trip because I was on a jury where the defendant's husband stated that no one ever checks for that which is pretty much true.

And you believe that a switch would last 100 years is just plain dumb and wrong.

And of course you would remember to turn the switch on for each trip.
I don't think so.

It looks like you need to go back to the Model-T to be happy.

I am only 11 years younger than you and like the modern safety systems on vehicles.

As for the recalls they are no issue to me as I am having Ford come to my home to have the updates done.

Last edited:

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The unfortunate evils of computers controlling everything...
Yes!
We are NOW basiclly Driving our Desktop PCs... :ROFLMAO:
My concern is getting some "anti-virus" software downloads... :ROFLMAO:

*Actually, it is the way of things... less "anolog/moving parts"... :cautious:

Jerry

jorl

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)