Sponsored

Order 2023 or wait another year?

Poorhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Tundra
With the release of the 2023 Technical Spec data indicating there will not be a Hybrid AWD option in 2023 we are debating if we keep waiting or order a FWD Hybrid.

Main discussion points:
- No guaranty they will offer Hybrid AWD in 2024.
- If they do offer AWD in 2024 will it be paired with a potentially more expensive PHEV option only?
- If they don't offer Hybrid AWD in 2024 the FWD version will likely have gone up in price again.
- If we order a 2023 FWD Hybrid and they do offer AWD in 2024 will it kill the value or the FWD version?

We live in Montana, the FWD Hybrid would be fine for us, but, would really prefer AWD.
If AWD comes out in 2024 we don't want to be stuck with the FWD version. Should the used Maverick market stays hot we could likely sell the 2023 for what we paid for it and order a 2024. Seems unlikely the used market will be so insane 1-2 years from now.

Open to any opinions. We don't want an Eco. The Maverick's appeal for us is 40 + mpg.
Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
not a good time to buy an automobile.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the release of the 2023 Technical Spec data indicating there will not be a Hybrid AWD option in 2023 we are debating if we keep waiting or order a FWD Hybrid.

Main discussion points:
- If they do offer AWD in 2024 will it be paired with a potentially more expensive PHEV option only?
- If they don't offer Hybrid AWD in 2024 the FWD version will likely have gone up in price again.
- If we order a 2023 FWD Hybrid and they do offer AWD in 2024 will it kill the value or the FWD version?

We live in Montana, the FWD Hybrid would be fine for us, but, would really prefer AWD.
If AWD comes out in 2024 we don't want to be stuck with the FWD version. Should the used Maverick market stays hot we could likely sell the 2023 for what we paid for it and order a 2024. Seems unlikely the used market will be so insane 1-2 years from now.

Open to any opinions. We don't want an Eco. The Maverick's appeal for us is 40 + mpg.

I have the FWD hybrid and am happy with it. I would also prefer AWD hybrid.

The AWD won't be paired w/ PHEV. The PHEV Escape is only available FWD, while the FHEV Escape is available FWD or AWD.

If a PVEH Maverick is available (and my FWD hybrid does decent in the snow), I'll go for that next time rather than AWD hybrid!

I don't personally think that there will be major powertrain option changes until 2025MY. By then I think that there will be hybrid AWD and/or PHEV options.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Main discussion points:

If you are worried about the value tanking on a FWD truck, maybe buying new is too risky.

Honestly, the Maverick is Ford’s entry-level vehicle. Trucks tend to hold value well enough. To fear the value tanking on a FWD model just because an AWD will arrive later doesn’t really have data to confirm your fear.
Will a FWD Corolla hold value as well as an AWD? Maybe not, but that doesn’t mean a FWD corolla’s value tanks.
My RWD trucks were never as expensive as 4x4 variants, but in Texas, values held just fine.

Just think of it as a FWD prius with a bed (a prius actually costs more these days than my XLT hybrid).

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am in a similar situation. No interest in the ECO, hybrid only. Would 'like' AWD but to be honest FWD is most likely all I will ever need. I do have one other constraint and that is it must be flat towable which the hybrid is. The Escape hybrid FWD and AWD are both towable so I assume the same for the Maverick.

I plan on ordering the '23 hybrid and waiting to see what happens. There is a slim possibility that hybrid AWD will be a mid-year change, if so I will change my order. If not then it will be FWD.

I don't see the demand for hybrids going down much, so if they do make an AWD hybrid in '24 or '25 I think your '23 value will hold up just fine. Maybe not $10k over MSRP holding up but if you get 75% of what you paid after 2 years of use I think that is fair anyway.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The used market will cool off, but the limited new car sales of the last couple years will soften the blow from all the repo's about to happen. There should be a lot of people who refused to buy in this crazy market that will be willing to buy in the next couple years as the edge comes off prices.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you don’t want the tremor package or black out package just wait.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The AWD won't be paired w/ PHEV. The PHEV Escape is only available FWD, while the FHEV Escape is available FWD or AWD.
Depends on if they do mechanical or electric AWD. The Lincoln Corsair (Escape) is a PHEV with eAWD.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will lose nothing if you order one right now, You can always refuse delivery. I think maybe ur thinking to much into this. Got to play the game with what’s in front of you, not what might be there in the future, you know?!

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're waiting 1-2 years minimum either way. If that's what you want, may as well put your order in sooner than later.

Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Main discussion points:

If you wait for a '24, you won't get it until '25/26 ;)

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think PHEV or awd before 2025 will happen as both will require larger battery capacity and then even more if 4k tow. Adding 4k tow would significantly increase regen braking current and problems in handling it as well.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on if they do mechanical or electric AWD. The Lincoln Corsair (Escape) is a PHEV with eAWD.
That is a good point, but I don't think that they will be doing that at this price point. We'll see AWD in PHEV Escape first.

OP
OP

Poorhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Tundra
I have the FWD hybrid and am happy with it. I would also prefer AWD hybrid.

If a PVEH Maverick is available (and my FWD hybrid does decent in the snow), I'll go for that next time rather than AWD hybrid!

I don't personally think that there will be major powertrain option changes until 2025MY. By then I think that there will be hybrid AWD and/or PHEV options.
I was referring to the PHEV AWD test vehicle that was spotted.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-phev-awd-pickup-truck-spy-photos/

If you are worried about the value tanking on a FWD truck, maybe buying new is too risky.

Honestly, the Maverick is Ford’s entry-level vehicle. Trucks tend to hold value well enough. To fear the value tanking on a FWD model just because an AWD will arrive later doesn’t really have data to confirm your fear.
Will a FWD Corolla hold value as well as an AWD? Maybe not, but that doesn’t mean a FWD corolla’s value tanks.
My RWD trucks were never as expensive as 4x4 variants, but in Texas, values held just fine.

Just think of it as a FWD prius with a bed (a prius actually costs more these days than my XLT hybrid).
Good points.
I'm speaking specifically about my area - NW Montana. AWD cars sell much better here.

You will lose nothing if you order one right now, You can always refuse delivery. I think maybe ur thinking to much into this. Got to play the game with what’s in front of you, not what might be there in the future, you know?!
Playing the game with what's available now includes our current Hona CRV. We can drive it for another year while we wait for an AWD Maverick.

The negative to that is if they don't (ever) offer AWD we'll have missed out on a year of better MPGs and likely see another price hike.

You're waiting 1-2 years minimum either way. If that's what you want, may as well put your order in sooner than later.
I'm thinking the opposite of this. If we're waiting a year or two anyway we should get what we want.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was referring to the PHEV AWD test vehicle that was spotted.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-phev-awd-pickup-truck-spy-photos/

Good points.
I'm speaking specifically about my area - NW Montana. AWD cars sell much better here.

Playing the game with what's available now includes our current Hona CRV. We can drive it for another year while we wait for an AWD Maverick.

The negative to that is if they don't (ever) offer AWD we'll have missed out on a year of better MPGs and likely see another price hike.

like I said, you can always order and refuse delivery so no skin off ur back. And there is no negative to that.
Sponsored