Sponsored

Oil-O-Meter...says %51...and the miles on truck are 4100...change oil when it says?? what?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For a big part of my life I was an Owner Operator truck driver. I bought a brand new Mack in 2003 and they recommended >30,000 miles oil changes. I think it was actually 36,000 miles. Regardless, this was an uncomfortable adjustment for me as I'd always changed my oil at 10,000 miles on my previous trucks. I did do oil analysis's before pushing it out to 30k+, but they awlays showed I still had capacity left in the oil, so I evenetually just went with their recommendations.

Since, I've just followed what the manufacturer recommended or when their built in oil light said, even when it felt like it wasn't soon enough. My personal vehicles, too. It has saved me alot of money over the years in unneeded oil changes and I've never had a failure related to engine lubrication. I had over 500,000 miles on my Mack when I sold it and it was still going strong.

Big diesels and car engines are apples and oranges, but I do think the extended oil change recommendations by the manufacturers are similair enough to be noted.
You are correct ford uses break in oil in your new veh. I follow 5k changes along with tire rotation.
keep in mind hybrid and EB are different
Sponsored

MavChris

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XLT, 22 Bronco Sport, 19 Flex SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a XLT 2.0 EB. Just got oil changed for 2ed time @ 10k miles. Did first oil change at 5k miles. Both times the oil status meter was around 60% oil life left. After this last oil change this is what it says. I think I will stick to the every 5k oil changes. Can't image going 10k and almost a year.........

Ford Maverick Oil-O-Meter...says %51...and the miles on truck are 4100...change oil when it says?? what? oil2

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish people would stop bringing this topic over and over because it just gets a bunch of different opinions. Just read and follow the manual.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm doing about 10k changes. I run full synthetic, and at 10k, the engine has only been on for about 7500 miles, which is in the ballpark for a full synthetic.

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those "just following the on-board oil life meter," keep in mind there's a high chance the monitor is for AFTER initial break in period. Any brand new engine is going to have extra "debris" and be considered the break in period. One person mentioned smaller amount of oil, and that's to be expected when new piston rings are "seating" after a new engine built. After the engine has ran for a few thousand miles the rings should be fully seated and engine consumption near zero.

So, I'd ask the dealer the initial break in suggested, and THEN follow the onboard system AFTER that point. Changing the oil with tire rotation seems really practical and easy to remember.

For me, coming from a staggered tire vehicle (2010 Camaro 2SS/RS), rotating tires will be a blast from the way past and doing them both at the same time will make it less likely I'll forget.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure you will get many opinions here.

I changed mine right around ~4200 miles initially - oil life monitor said 60%. Second change was 6600 miles later(10,800 total miles) and the oil like monitor was at 50%.

I plan to work my way towards a 10k mile interval with Blackstone analysis along the way.
Since you had the oil analyzed, maybe you know this. I see posts above claiming things such as:
-these trucks are delivered with some kind of special oil
-that the first oil change will be full of bits of metal

Without proof these sound things that were heard and repeated enough times that they became "facts". Perhaps these were true in the past for certain vehicles. That still doesn't mean they are true for modern vehicles or the maverick. So did your initial oil analysis results show anything of interest?

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Since you had the oil analyzed, maybe you know this. I see posts above claiming things such as:
-these trucks are delivered with some kind of special oil
-that the first oil change will be full of bits of metal

Without proof these sound things that were heard and repeated enough times that they became "facts". Perhaps these were true in the past for certain vehicles. That still doesn't mean they are true for modern vehicles or the maverick. So did your initial oil analysis results show anything of interest?
Unfortunately I did not have the factory fill oil change at 4200 miles analyzed.

This is the second oil change that I am testing. Regardless - maybe the factory fill is "special" and maybe it is not. It doesn't seem to matter. I do know for certain that the factory oil filter is smaller than the replacement Motorcraft part.

I am not concerning myself with either of the 'facts' that you have brought up. Whether they are true or not doesn't seem to matter.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately I did not have the factory fill oil change at 4200 miles analyzed.

This is the second oil change that I am testing. Regardless - maybe the factory fill is "special" and maybe it is not. It doesn't seem to matter. I do know for certain that the factory oil filter is smaller than the replacement Motorcraft part.

I am not concerning myself with either of the 'facts' that you have brought up. Whether they are true or not doesn't seem to matter.
I only mention them because they are often used as the rationalization for doing the first oil change earlier than you might otherwise do it. I was just curious if you had done the analysis but your did not so no new info there.

Sponsored

Dandy Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I'm still not completely understanding how the oil-o-meter works. If I'm towing, say 50% of the time, will the oil life meter detect this & compensate accordingly with more frequent change recommendations?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So I'm still not completely understanding how the oil-o-meter works. If I'm towing, say 50% of the time, will the oil life meter detect this & compensate accordingly with more frequent change recommendations?
Yes.

When I was towing I lost approximately 2% oil life per 100 miles.

During "average" operation I lose 1% oil life per 100 miles.

In gentle driving I lose less than 1% per 100 miles.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick Hybrid is my 105th vehicle (64 cars 41 motorcycles). My truck got to 5% left on oil so I had ford do it first at around 5800 miles. Last Sunday oil monitory hit 5% at 14054 miles. I did the oil change my self taking my time and looking around. Cost me under 40 for full synthetic oil and filter. Just ran it up on 2 ramps and had a piece of cardboard to scoot around on. I have never had an engine problem new or used. Our 2016 Prius does not have an oil monitor. It gets changed at dealer every 10K miles.

I don't care what everyone else does when it comes to oil changes. I do it my way and it works for me. I will just follow the oil monitor and not worry. You should pick a way for you and stick with it and just be consistent.

zeen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav XL, '15 Suburban, '91 SL500, '76 VW Westy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wish people would stop bringing this topic over and over because it just gets a bunch of different opinions. Just read and follow the manual.
Ford Maverick Oil-O-Meter...says %51...and the miles on truck are 4100...change oil when it says?? what? CFD50561-7F39-4F57-982E-3EB269574CAD
Sponsored