Sponsored

Oil Change, keep the engine shield or ditch it?

Swede

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 19 Subaru Outback, 01 Saab 9-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did my first oil change yesterday (FX4 Offroad) and I was not going to put the metal skid plate back on. That is until I saw that it has sound dampening material on it. So I struggled with it and got it back on. It is a real PIA to do laying on your back. Not sure what to do in the future. I am going to get some shorter bolts, though.
I did not take off the small plate, I could get to the filter easy enough.
Sponsored

Jared

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Leave it on. It’s there for a reason and no company would add a cover unless they absolutely had to for some variable. You’re not smarter then they are.

Honestly, anyone who thinks it’s difficult is not a man.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those of you who are doing your own oil changes. Are you keeping the shield or leaving it off?
It serves 3 purposes: (1) keep crap off the bottom of the drivetrain components, (2) minor noise reduction, and (3) improve your mileage by about 1mpg. In the case of the FX4 and Tremor models, it also provides a bit of a rock shield. I'd put it back on.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Back in the day, there was a diagram, on the forum, on where to cut it out to allow oil filer and drain access, without having to take all the bolts out or completely removing it.

Being a hybrid owner, I have been an unfortunate party to watching the Walmart oil changers take out only the front half and just bend it out of the way. This looks like the standard tech. approach,..

Sponsored

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It serves 3 purposes: (1) keep crap off the bottom of the drivetrain components, (2) minor noise reduction, and (3) improve your mileage by about 1mpg. In the case of the FX4 and Tremor models, it also provides a bit of a rock shield. I'd put it back on.
4. It also help airflow through the radiator and a/c condenser. Mercedes has been using them since the mid 80s in the US. They NEVER put something on a vehicle that doesn't serve a purpose.

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had mine off after oil change for a few days and noticed little more engine noise without it. I cut out some partial openings and installed latches to make oil changes possible without removing the shield

Ford Maverick Oil Change, keep the engine shield or ditch it? IMG_9713

mikedt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great idea. My Mazda CX5 has a full under body panel but has little removable panels for oil changes and tranny drain. (It helps in the Mazda's case that the oil filter and drain are on the same side.) But if the Ford panel is that flexible the hinge route sounds like the way to go.

Why the extra tape at the drain side? Did you make the 1st cut in the wrong place?

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back in the day, there was a diagram, on the forum, on where to cut it out to allow oil filer and drain access, without having to take all the bolts out or completely removing it.

Being a hybrid owner, I have been an unfortunate party to watching the Walmart oil changers take out only the front half and just bend it out of the way. This looks like the standard tech. approach,..
I have done my own changes so far, but if a "tech" just bent it out of the way, likely causing damage, his boss would likely be paying for a new one. They are no paid to damage customer vehicles, and should be made aware it is not acceptable. Make it costly to do such a poor job.
Any and all may disagree, but I do not need their approval for requiring them to do their job correctly. Paying the bill, I get to decide...
tom

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I reinstalled mine, it only takes a couple minutes with my DeWalt 20v Impact to zip them back in. Its there for a reason on most new vehicle, otherwise there'd be no point in them spending money to install at the factory.

Wonder if an aluminum or plastic one becomes available aftermarket that would fit a Hybrid, I'd consider it, provided it has air-flow vents....and a hatches for the filter/oil-drain. My old Envoy had a screw on hatch that would easily swing out of the way.

Sponsored

stv1cal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

After a couple of oil changes they already had stripped a couple of the screws (cheap plastic clips that strip out easy) and couple more were loose and was rattleing a little all with only 4k so i just took it off. this car is not made for off road so i dont go off road, or live in an area with gravel roads i go on, im not going to be spening money every couple of thousand miles replacing clips and screws, can someting jump in the engine bay while driving possibley but the the 45 years ive been drive all the trucks and cars i had never had that issue and they didnt have a cover. now a very few times less than i can count on one had over all them years a rock or debris of some sort was thrown up under the body where i heard it hit under around the middle of the car, it wasnt alarming sound like it was going to come up through the floor, so im not worried about it and af far as mileage i havnet noticed a difference yet, as i hear this cover is meant more or areodynamics than anyting else (except for the metal ones on the fx4 or tremor models). now the two covers that are in the middle left and right make a little noise, some of the cheap nut they use were not all that tight, i will have to find ss nut, washer and lockwasher to replace the cheap i dont know what kind if nut they use is called, the cover on the passanger side there was nothing under, it all bare metal, the drives side there is a bunch of lines fues and mayb brake lines and other wire lines that run through there and do need some kind of protection, i did reinstalled both of those covers but before i reinstalled them i sprayed the metal with ruberized undercoating sound deadener and tie wraped some of the loose hoses and wires to keep from bouncing aroud, and cut some of the felt cover that would hit the heat sheild and rattle. all that has cutdown on over 90 percent of all the rattling that was coming for under the Maverick and driving me crazy (someting ford delership could not figure out, they are worthless as i said you want someting fixed righg do it yourself) there is still some rattle when suspension is working harder but i think that is from the front fender well covers as i bang on them i can hear the rattle, that will be my next project but its not that bad so not in a hurry. after that then it on to the dash, i have got most of the rattles out of that but still a few not to bad, the only anoying is there is sometihg that get loose and rolls sometimes, like someone droped something i the HVAC duct it comes and goes.

its a no wonder you dont see the Ford commericals with quaility is job #1 at Ford, becasue no shuch thing anymore!

2020 GT500

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2023 Miata RF Club
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I reinstalled mine, it only takes a couple minutes with my DeWalt 20v Impact to zip them back in. Its there for a reason on most new vehicle, otherwise there'd be no point in them spending money to install at the factory.

Wonder if an aluminum or plastic one becomes available aftermarket that would fit a Hybrid, I'd consider it, provided it has air-flow vents....and a hatches for the filter/oil-drain. My old Envoy had a screw on hatch that would easily swing out of the way.
I did one oil change last year and I’m pretty sure the one on my eco-boost is an aluminum plate not fiber.

BlueRaven

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mav, 01 CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
its a few t30s. use an electric ratchet and make quick work of it. if you think you know better than ford leave it off. and yes most modern vehicles have some sort of under tray.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did one oil change last year and I’m pretty sure the one on my eco-boost is an aluminum plate not fiber.
If you have either the FX4 or Tremor package, they get different shields, which are aluminum.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not think the bean counters would let them install the shield unless they had determined that spending the ~$30 or so just for the parts was worth it.
Anyone deciding to toss it is showing they think they know more than the engineers and accountants that spending that money was foolish, and the engineers just put the shield on 'because'. Perhaps they thought it looked nice... kept the engine compartment clean... got their SIL/FIL/uncle a good fat juicy contract.... had a brother who installed them on the line and needed a job... pick your 'why', but it was bought and paid for, and goes into the vehicle cost for EVERY one built.
Auto makers will search high and low to lower the cost content by a nickel. Thirty bucks is pure gold when looking to cut costs. They would not put it on unless it paid for itself somehow.
It is yours to do with as you please.
tom
I'll vote for them installing the shield (in AKA the air dam) to help get any mpg increase possible from EPA for the $30.
Sponsored