Sponsored

% of factory tint on rear door glass?

UncleDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
It is my understanding that the rear door glass is tinted. Does anyone know what percentage the tint it? 5%,10%?
I want to do the front door glass after market and would like it to match the rear glass.
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
30% tint baked into the glass. Check your state laws but I think 30-35 on front doors is usually legal.

Last edited:

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Living in a relatively cloudy oregon, I have never done tint before on a vehicle.
Is 30% low or high?
I have read that 35% is the limit for oregon, but it sounded like that would be a 65% vs the 30% you are saying the truck comes with?
Am I understanding these numbers correctly?

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Living in a relatively cloudy oregon, I have never done tint before on a vehicle.
Is 30% low or high?
I have read that 35% is the limit for oregon, but it sounded like that would be a 65% vs the 30% you are saying the truck comes with?
Am I understanding these numbers correctly?
With tint, the number represents light transmission.

Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With tint, the number represents light transmission.
So for the truck at 30% that would sound like 30% of light is allowed through the window.
But that would be illegal in oregon, law states 35% is the lowest allowed.
My guess is the factory tint is actually 70%.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So for the truck at 30% that would sound like 30% of light is allowed through the window.
But that would be illegal in oregon, law states 35% is the lowest allowed.
My guess is the factory tint is actually 70%.
Rear windows are usually exempt especially on trucks/vans.

It's a dumb double standard. Until a few years ago NY the second row windows and back didn't matter. If you have station wagon you basically can't run any, but if the manufacturer jacks it up a few inches and calls it a crossover so it's classed SUV then knock yourself out.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Rear windows are usually exempt especially on trucks/vans.

It's a dumb double standard. Until a few years ago NY the second row windows and back didn't matter. If you have station wagon you basically can't run any, but if the manufacturer jacks it up a few inches and calls it a crossover so it's classed SUV then knock yourself out.
You are correct, I found the exception in oregon.
Multipurpose vehicle designed to carry 10 or less people is exempt for windows behind the driver. This includes vehicles designed for use off-road part of the time. (suvs and trucks).

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
30% is not very dark to me.. Nebraska is 35% front and 20% back. I've been doing 20% all around for almost 10 years with no one bothering me. The biggest game changer I found is putting the strip across the top of the windshield! It reduces the sun entering big time. Also, the cheaper the tint usually the harder is to see out of at night.

Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
30% is not very dark to me.. Nebraska is 35% front and 20% back. I've been doing 20% all around for almost 10 years with no one bothering me. The biggest game changer I found is putting the strip across the top of the windshield! It reduces the sun entering big time. Also, the cheaper the tint usually the harder is to see out of at night.
Top of the windshield: There are marks on each side of the windshield by the A-pillar called AS-1 line used by auto manufacturers to identify the sunvisor limit. These marks are the lowest legal points tint or blockage can be.

The following article talks about these marks: https://windowtintlaws.us/as-1-line-car-windshield/

In CA, 2022 addendum says front windshield tint can not go down any more than 4" from the top of the windshield and must be non-reflective.

This is way different from before, it was to the AS-1 line or 29" measured from the front of the front seat bottom, when front seat is pulled to its most forward position, TO the point on the front windshield. ...... whichever is highest.

robb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
When I was younger I had 5% all around, which I just tried to drive a vehicle like that a few weeks ago and my "old" eyes did not like that at night.

I'm doing 25% or 35% on the front windows, leaving it up to the pro to best match the rears.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im older and have trouble with vehicle lights at night. 20% front, 5% back. Its perfect for me.

Ford Maverick % of factory tint on rear door glass? 20220319_151836

Ford Maverick % of factory tint on rear door glass? 20220319_151847
Sponsored