First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any one know for sure if the XL comes with window tint? Most of the pics show the rear passenger windows and back window tinted. If so, what are the chances of a local tint shop being able to match the tint for the front?
Sponsored

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Any one know for sure if the XL comes with window tint? Most of the pics show the rear passenger windows and back window tinted. If so, what are the chances of a local tint shop being able to match the tint for the front?
Most(if not all) SUV/trucks come with 30% in the back windows which is illegal in the front in most states so make sure you do your due diligence.

Also a few states have changed their law where tint tickets are no longer just "fix it" tickets so after a 4th tint ticket they revoke your registration aka vehicles becomes a paperweight until you jump through god knows how many hoops.

Not trying to tell you what to do or not do but mentioning this since your question implies that you don't know much about tinting and the laws behind it.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most(if not all) SUV/trucks come with 30% in the back windows which is illegal in the front in most states so make sure you do your due diligence.

Also a few states have changed their law where tint tickets are no longer just "fix it" tickets so after a 4th tint ticket they revoke your registration aka vehicles becomes a paperweight until you jump through god knows how many hoops.

Not trying to tell you what to do or not do but mentioning this since your question implies that you don't know much about tinting and the laws behind it.
Thanks, I know past a certain hue it's illegal, but here in Fl., LE doesn't seem to enforce it. See blacked out windows on cars all the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The back window are probably too dark to be legal on the front. A tint co will be able to get a close legal tint.

UNLESS your driving a cop car in a lot of TX cities, they have Limo tent ALL THE WAY AROUND !

Here's a Google search for "Window tint in Florida"

https://www.google.com/search?q="Window+tint+in+Florida+"&lr=&safe=images&as_qdr=all&sxsrf=AOaemvLg85-EYX1aPV61YrxhDarP-VCrNA:1630248815486&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WZdyt4t69f9UpM%2CBAab2cd2nhHHuM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS9kBu2F9bj4UWVXmDTcZ-7lE5Ohw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGi6uMvtbyAhXsmmoFHdY-DkkQ9QF6BAgPEAE&biw=1300&bih=825&dpr=2#imgrc=ysEy33zZiOANJM
Thanks, appreciate it!

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Thanks, I know past a certain hue it's illegal, but here in Fl., LE doesn't seem to enforce it. See blacked out windows on cars all the time.
They don't seem to enforce it because up to recently it was just a fix it ticket in most states, meaning you got the ticket and just had to pay the $135 fine or fix the car and call it a day but that is now changing with this new 4 strikes(across multiple vehicles and many years) and you are out, only reason I found this out is that I have a friend who just got one that happens to be his 6th( a couple years since the last one) and they revoked the registration for that car and ordered a mandatory inspection on all other vehicles under his name, needless to say this is quite a hassle for him and his family.

Again just research the laws in your specific state that way you know what you are in for if you go too dark, for example in my state 50% is the legal limit but you can get away with having 40% and the cops won't bother you, anything darker than that and is like having a pull me over sign.

Another thing that helps is having the sunroof/moonroof shield open to let light inside the vehicle so it doesn't look as dark even though it really is, I have a 15% on my sunroof so having the shield open doesn't make my car any hotter but it does make it substantially lighter inside.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tinting is definatly federally regulated, state enforced. Pulled thru an Iowa truck weight station to ask the state patrol a question and the cop pulled out a tinted plastic sheet, held it up to the side window and promptly wrote me up for $134 ticket for 40% tint (in a rental car). Pretty sure tint shops have one of those plastic sheets.

His little plastic sheet showed tint percentage, then he pulled out an electronic device to prove it again. I had to pay the ticket but rental car company was up for removing tint. Cop told me If some one was driving the rental car without tinting fixed, in any state, it would probably be towed in. You know car manufacturers know the federal rules…but Cop told me most states are pretty lax on inforcing but not on the front windshield…it’s strictly enforced. According to COP Iowa is the worst in enforcing but Florida was a close second.

Interestingly COP cars wear illegal tints all the time but don’t give themselves tickets.

Most or at least all cars I’ve had with tint from the factory was build ”into” the glass. Not or a tint added by film…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tinting is definatly federally regulated, state enforced. Pulled thru an Iowa truck weight station to ask the state patrol a question and the cop pulled out a tinted piece plastic sheet, held it up to the side window and promptly wrote me up for $134 ticket for 40% tint (in a rental car). Pretty sure tint shops have one of those plastic sheets.

His little plastic sheet showed tint percentage, then he pulled out an electronic device to prove it again. I had to pay the ticket but rental car company was up for removing tint. Cop told me I some one was driving the rental car without tinting fixed, in any state it would probably be towed in. You know car manufacturers know the federal rules…but Cop told me most states are pretty lax on inforcing but not on the front windshield…it’s strictly enforced.
Thanks, Glad I have no reason to go through Iowa.

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
also be careful with any advice that a tint shop gives you as one of the things that makes them the most money is having to "fix" vehicles for fix it tickets, they get to charge for putting the dark film then remove it once you get the ticket then apply legal one then remove again and reapply the dark one again, the whole process can be more than a grand which is quite a cash cow for them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to all who replied, tint is pretty important to me after contracting some type of ocular virus (never identified by Doctors at the time) while stationed at a radar site in the USAF almost fifty years ago. Left my eyes very light sensitive.

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Thanks to all who replied, tint is pretty important to me after contracting some type of ocular virus (never identified by Doctors at the time) while stationed at a radar site in the USAF almost fifty years ago. Left my eyes very light sensitive.
ohhh why didn't you say so sooner, my dad and several vietnan buddies have a medical exemption from his doctor, he can legally have a 20% on his vehicle, he carries a prescription with him for when he does get pullover not so much locally since local sheriff knows him and his car but it happens a lot when he goes to the city, so all you need is talk to your doctor and get something similar if your injury is documented I don't see why you couldn't get it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe it was confirmed tint is standard. It should be very easy to have the front matched at a tint shop.
Depends how anal you are. A lot of tints have a different, uhhh, tint to them.

But seriously, some 35% look more silver, some more blue, some more brown. I couldn't get an exact match to the factory tint on my Ram 1500. He brought everything out and we picked the closest but its not quite as brown as the factory one. You can't tell from outside the vehicle, but looking out through both windows you can see its not the same.

fero

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 toyota taco
also be careful with any advice that a tint shop gives you as one of the things that makes them the most money is having to "fix" vehicles for fix it tickets, they get to charge for putting the dark film then remove it once you get the ticket then apply legal one then remove again and reapply the dark one again, the whole process can be more than a grand which is quite a cash cow for them.
[/QU
Amazing- I was USAF radar ops in the '60"s and have the same condition. I get occasional migraines and sometimes even wear sunglasses indoors. Lots of radiation from those old CRT radar screens. We'll never prove anything and too old to care but for Mav owners sunglasses are cheaper than tickets for window tinting.

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interestingly COP cars wear illegal tints all the time but don’t give themselves tickets.
The main reason tinting is illegal, is because cops need to see what is happening inside cars at any given time (for example during a pursuit or if they do a DUI checkpoint etc). The driver seat is the most important therefore they don't care much about the back windwos. Cops dont need to see what is going on in cop cars therefore it is not illegal. Many cops have even their personal cars completely tinted in order to protect their identity from criminals, this is most probably illegal but most cops know what they partners drive and never stop them.
Sponsored