First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think auto-update works correctly. The system never reconnects to WiFi from my experience except after the update.

Starting the truck in the morning or coming back, the WiFi icon after the update shows the WiFi signal with an I. Not connected, but WiFi available.

Try using your Mobile Hotspot to see if there's an update. Though, I warn ya the update is 500Mb.

Ford's infotainment systems are picky when it comes to WiFi signals and slow speeds.
500 MB !!!

That is huge. Any idea what was updated?
Sponsored

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never had the scan for updates work, even when connected to wifi. It just spins.

Sagara

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
500 MB !!!

That is huge. Any idea what was updated?
No clue. Android Auto seems more responsive, so that's one thing.

My best guess on why the updates are huge, are they aren't incremental updates, rather they're a complete install.

I've never had the scan for updates work, even when connected to wifi. It just spins.
Judging by your signature, Lariat? Your updates are completely separate from XLs & XLTs.

However, yeah it's a pain to update the SYNC 3 system as well. Buddy has a Ford Escape and it's not easy to update it via WiFi. A USB flash drive and downloading the update from Ford is usually easier. Link Here.

On the lower trims on the Maverick, it also likes to spin. However, the infotainment system doesn't give any response on if speeds are poor on WiFi, or it doesn't have connection to the internet.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do they ever publish a read me on the changes in these updates?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CenTexMav

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I updated mind over my wifi and it worked fine... Slow.... but once it connected it went well. I had to let it re link to my phone.

Jared

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hopefully they fixed the issue where bluetooth disconnects multiple times while I am driving. Grrr

Jared

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can confirm this new update fixed my Bluetooth connectivity issues. My truck would constantly drop my Bluetooth connection to my phone.

Griswaldo906

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think auto-update works correctly. The system never reconnects to WiFi from my experience except after the update.

Starting the truck in the morning or coming back, the WiFi icon after the update shows the WiFi signal with an I. Not connected, but WiFi available.

Try using your Mobile Hotspot to see if there's an update. Though, I warn ya the update is 500Mb.

Ford's infotainment systems are picky when it comes to WiFi signals and slow speeds.
It seems to me that the update issues have nothing to do with poor wifi speeds for many people.

When I couldn't get the update to work with my standard setup in my home (my wireless access point is just on the other side of the window from my truck - about 10 feet away), I moved one of my mesh nodes to my driveway to get a better signal. (My truck shows up as "Qisda" on my network and I confirmed this by matching my IP address in my mesh system to what displayed in my truck.) At this point I was getting a very good wireless signal of -44dB:

Ford Maverick New software update? IMG_2317.PNG

At the point I got all of this rigged up. I tested the download to see if it would work and it said, "Downloading 0%" for several minutes. Looking back at my mesh system, while it was supposedly downloading, it continued to say that my truck was downloading at 0.0 Kbps. I also tried updating on my work wifi and my hotspot on my phone, with the same results.

For those of you who are experiencing frustration updating your truck, my recommendation as an IT expert would be to wait a few days. Either there is a problem with the code related to updating in our truck or Ford doesn't have infrastructure that is optimized properly for their update process. I was really looking forward to updating before a big trip tomorrow because I was hoping to avoid any bugginess the sometimes plagues my trips.

Sagara

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems to me that the update issues have nothing to do with poor wifi speeds for many people.

When I couldn't get the update to work with my standard setup in my home (my wireless access point is just on the other side of the window from my truck - about 10 feet away), I moved one of my mesh nodes to my driveway to get a better signal. (My truck shows up as "Qisda" on my network and I confirmed this by matching my IP address in my mesh system to what displayed in my truck.) At this point I was getting a very good wireless signal of -44dB:

IMG_2317.PNG

At the point I got all of this rigged up. I tested the download to see if it would work and it said, "Downloading 0%" for several minutes. Looking back at my mesh system, while it was supposedly downloading, it continued to say that my truck was downloading at 0.0 Kbps. I also tried updating on my work wifi and my hotspot on my phone, with the same results.

For those of you who are experiencing frustration updating your truck, my recommendation as an IT expert would be to wait a few days. Either there is a problem with the code related to updating in our truck or Ford doesn't have infrastructure that is optimized properly for their update process. I was really looking forward to updating before a big trip tomorrow because I was hoping to avoid any bugginess the sometimes plagues my trips.
Didn't have the issue with it having it stuck at 0%, it would not find the update (stuck spinnning/no updates found) or hang up after a certain percentage. I did find that adding an access point reduced my time to check for updates. At least that was my experience.

Leaving the vehicle in Accessory or On didn't work either. Truck would shut itself off to preserve the battery.

My buddy had the same experience with his Ford Escape, with SYNC 3.

I had to use my mobile hotspot, while waiting in the vehicle for 10 mins to get it finished. On a side note, the infotainment system does not like hotspots with spaces, for the Pixel 6 Pro anyway, would stay stuck on connecting (haven't tried since the update).

Sponsored

Griswaldo906

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Didn't have the issue with it having it stuck at 0%, it would not find the update (stuck spinnning/no updates found) or hang up after a certain percentage. I did find that adding an access point reduced my time to check for updates. At least that was my experience.
I think what was happening in your case is that the "scan for updates" was timing out as it was reaching out to the server. That happened to me numerous times and the "solution" is to turn off the ignition and open the door so the system turns off. Then when you turn the system on and (annoyingly have to reconnect to wifi every time) you can scan again and every 2 or 3 times it will start "downloading".

Problem is that even if you get it to say downloading it hangs-up and I am guessing that is an issue on Ford's end. If Ford wants to keep up with Tesla, they need to partner with a cloud provider to dynamically scale up their server infrastructure when they push a big update and scale it down as the demand tapers off.

Sagara

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think what was happening in your case is that the "scan for updates" was timing out as it was reaching out to the server. That happened to me numerous times and the "solution" is to turn off the ignition and open the door so the system turns off. Then when you turn the system on and (annoyingly have to reconnect to wifi every time) you can scan again and every 2 or 3 times it will start "downloading".

Problem is that even if you get it to say downloading it hangs-up and I am guessing that is an issue on Ford's end. If Ford wants to keep up with Tesla, they need to partner with a cloud provider to dynamically scale up their server infrastructure when they push a big update and scale it down as the demand tapers off.
The other alternative was force a soft reset. That was a fun experience.

At this rate, I'm glad Ford isn't charging us for Fordpass. Everyone else is charging some subscription for the same feature. I have no doubt Ford will later down the road.

Griswaldo906

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The other alternative was force a soft reset. That was a fun experience.
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try!

Jimpac

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Soft reset and using phone hotspot worked for me.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for the thread! I wouldn't have known to check without it.

I updated this morning. I had to "check for updates" three times before it started to download.

I did not have the issue being stuck in zero when downloading. The download seemed pretty linear and constant.

There was a not insignificant delay between download and when the installation began.

The installation was not linear. My % steadily rose until %38 then stopped for a bit, then rose quickly until %75, stopped for a bit, then rose steadily until%100 and the installing went away. I had to hold power and fast forward (soft reset) to get the system update to complete.

I never had problems with Android auto or glitches before. The only one is Bluetooth connectivity during phone calls... That's untested.

I hope this helps. Thanks again!
Sponsored