bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all, I have a 2019 ranger that I wanna trade in asap before I miss the market. I was offered 28k for it two weeks ago and now it is 25k. I have been waiting since December and my build date got pushed to the 19th (this is the forth time it got pushed back) do I trade in my ranger and hold the cash and buy a cheap car in the mean time (I work from home and the most I go it to the store and back 1 mile a week LOL) ? I am stuck on this and want some opinions ?
Sponsored

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't count on a reasonable delivery time, no matter how long you've been waiting. I'd advise selling it ASAP, and buying some beater to run for a few months. Or even better, since you only go a mile a week, just buy a bicycle with a basket 🤣

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I was you I would sell now since you don't really need the vehicle. Used car prices are definitely calming down and what you get offered today will be unlikely to be higher in the future.
If you anticipate the NEED for a vehicle in the next 6 or so months, perhaps hang on to your Ranger. You can't rely on build/delivery dates Ford gives you, as we've all experienced.
Personally, I RUN 25-30 miles a week and also WFH now. Until a couple years ago, I'd walk a mile and a half each way going to work every day. If I was in the same position you've stated, I'd sell now, cross fingers for a timely delivery, and get ready for a few more steps each day.
Perhaps mobility is an issue... I'd still sell the Ranger now and rely on delivery service for the essentials for the time being. You've got a date, even if it keeps getting pushed back. You can probably count on it being fulfilled not too much later.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can't count on a reasonable delivery time, no matter how long you've been waiting. I'd advise selling it ASAP, and buying some beater to run for a few months. Or even better, since you only go a mile a week, just buy a bicycle with a basket 🤣
Sell it and call Uber when ya can’t walk to where ya need to go

Gottahavmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang 5.0 6 spd.,mx-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all, I have a 2019 ranger that I wanna trade in asap before I miss the market. I was offered 28k for it two weeks ago and now it is 25k. I have been waiting since December and my build date got pushed to the 19th (this is the forth time it got pushed back) do I trade in my ranger and hold the cash and buy a cheap car in the mean time (I work from home and the most I go it to the store and back 1 mile a week LOL) ? I am stuck on this and want some opinions ?
Did you go on kbb.com(Kelly blue book) the value they said on my 2020 Kia soul I had for over 2-1/2 years was right on the money that car max gave me in January. I sold for $3200 over what I paid. Good luck!

Sponsored

Gottahavmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang 5.0 6 spd.,mx-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Waiting on xlt 2.0 fwd January Order ...with no word yet of build date.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Make Hay while the sunshines
You've already kissed off 3 grand thinking about it, so yes pull the trigger and buy a clunker till your Maverick gets to you

Maverickblues

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are videos on you tube saying there is a glut of used cars going to come on the market as the economy slows. Many bank repos from stupid peole who bought during 2020 and never even made a payment. They are supposed to hit the market in the next 30 days and moving forward . Market for used definitely softening.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
More importantly, do you have a VIN assigned?

As to the Ranger, there will be a gap between build-out of the current model, and release of the new model. That might be one to buck the trend, and could rise in value in the coming months. Then again, as the new model gets closer to market, values on previous models could go down.

No one knows for sure. If you aren't in a bad place budget wise, I would hold on to it, especially if you don't have a VIN on the Mav .

Keep in mind, I only play financial adviser on the internet. :poop:

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you own the Ranger free and clear?

If you do, are there any problems with it?

And if there are, is the warranty still in effect?

You need to answer those questions before anyone can give you advice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bbyBlue

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Everyone here is some more details !

I do have a vin yes !

I have a loan on the truck - my payoff is about 14k
The truck is mint and low miles (21k)
it is a STX with a upgraded 8inch factory sync 3 unit with auto climate control !

I can get 23k - 26k with some estimates

finally thank you all for the input !

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before takling the 25k, I would check with other buyers. But, I would sell now as my expectation is the demand will slack as the economy fizzles, and used prices will start to sag.
But I am just another schlub who is musing aloud on what the economy will do, based on observation.
tom

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No way you sell if you are going to buy something else. What else are you going to buy that is reasonable? What do you do with it when the Mav comes in?

You owe 4k currently. So you have 21k in equity. Say you buy for 5k, so 6k tax and registration. Leaves you with 15k. Keep paying on your current vehicle and you will be closer to owning outright. Say you only owe 2k then, means the market would have to drop 7k in 4 months for you to break even. Even if you can sell the clunker for 3 k, I wouldn't do it there's a lot of moving parts.

With as little as you drive, maybe some other options to consider.
1. Do you need a vehicle in the interim? Grocery delivery, walking, a bike are all cheap vs buying an interim vehicle.
2. As little as you drive, why not just keep the Ranger?

OP
OP
bbyBlue

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for all the replies.... Turns out.... the truck is getting built as we speak ! so it might be here soon ! so I might end up with the maverick sooner than later !

StephMavXLT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You should try using Lyft/Uber to get around until the Maverick comes in and sell the Ranger. I work from home and have been without a car (mostly) since January. I have been using Lyft and grocery delivery to get what I need and get to appointments etc. Folks think it is expensive but it is cheaper than buying another car while waiting for a Maverick. Anyway, just a thought.
Sponsored