First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone goes 2.0 the only way it should be had is with AWD. If you say you can't afford it or don't need then also don't need more than the hybrid.

I think the only reason 2.0 FWD are even selling is because people can't wait for a hybrid.
When a statement like this is made, you have decided what everyone else needs and doesn't need.

You would do much better asking why someone would buy the EB and not get AWD.

I'm sure you would get plenty of answers.

I would prefer the FWD EB because I can tow it on a dolly behind our motorhome and in the summer we are in the mountains a lot and the extra power would be of benefit.

An AWD can only be towed all four wheels off the ground, so AWD does not fit our needs.
Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When a statement like this is made, you have decided what everyone else needs and doesn't need.

You would do much better asking why someone would buy the EB and not get AWD.

I'm sure you would get plenty of answers.

I would prefer the FWD EB because I can tow it on a dolly behind our motorhome and in the summer we are in the mountains a lot and the extra power would be of benefit.

An AWD can only be towed all four wheels off the ground, so AWD does not fit our needs.
Thanks for bringing up the dolly tow. That is a valid reason to not get AWD but the hybrid (which can be flat towed) would be perfectly fine on the mountain roads. You've already made up your mind but hopefully others can save some money if they can be extremely patient and wait for the hybrid.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the hybrid and am probably going to dolly tow. With the front wheels on the dolly I will not be rolling miles up on the Maverick odometer. It's almost 2k to outfit a vehicle to tow behind a MH, I can buy a nice used dolly for under 1k.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the hybrid and am probably going to dolly tow. With the front wheels on the dolly I will not be rolling miles up on the Maverick odometer. It's almost 2k to outfit a vehicle to tow behind a MH, I can buy a nice used dolly for under 1k.
"With the front wheels on the dolly I will not be rolling miles up on the Maverick odometer."
The odometer doesn't count the miles, its OFF when the vehicle is off.
We did the dolly for a couple of years, I didnt care for it!
Check your mh forum for towbars, we have a high end Roadmaster from Craigslist $300.

I DIY a lot, this will be my 3rd toad setup, baseplate and lights between 5 & 6 hundred $, we already have everything else.
Could sell the baseplate off our Cherokee.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If anyone goes 2.0 the only way it should be had is with AWD. If you say you can't afford it or don't need then also don't need more than the hybrid.

I think the only reason 2.0 FWD are even selling is because people can't wait for a hybrid.
My order was was for FWD EB because thats what I want and I don't want a hybrid.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm with you, I don't have any real use for AWD. Nor do I need to drag race. I wanted something that would move, when I needed or wanted it to.
In a roll, the FWD EB is likely faster than the AWD. It's lighter and burns a tad less gas.

If I lived up north. I'd go for the AWD. Thanks OP for the video.

Last edited:

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are only a couple reasons to go with a FWD Ecoboost.

Can't wait for the hybrid.
Don't want to/can't pay for AWD.

Those that don't want a hybrid are missing out on savings ($1k up front and better mpgs) and reliability benefits (yes the battery and ecvt will outlast the turbo charger and 8sp automatic.)

If Ford could keep up with the demand I think they should do like Hyundai with their Santa Cruz. Only the base engine comes with FWD. If you want the more powerful engine you must get AWD.
Well...the obvious question is..how do you know the hybrid package will last longer? The electric motor is new and in-house. And why would the eCVT necessarily last longer than the slushbox?
When I think of a Ford in-house product...I think of the infamous 6.0 diesel developed after they parted ways with International Harvester.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Soooo I only got one 0-60 run before my Dragy lost charge but I was blown away by 6.33s 0-60 time.

Check it out and tell me what other times have you seen????
That's a really good time for a well optioned Lariat, quickest I've observed so far. I wonder what a no option XL w/ 4K tow would do? Should be the quickest OEM setup for the Mav....maybe a sub-6?

I'm hoping Livernois comes up with a tune for the 2.0 Mav, my '18 F150 2.7EB was running mid-4's with an LMS 93 perf tune, stupid quick for a big crewcab PU.

I'll assume you were running 93 octane fuel?

LouL

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape

I changed my order from a hybrid to 2.0 for a hopefully shorter wait.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The odometer doesn't count the miles, its OFF when the vehicle is off.
Don't you leave the key on when flat towing? Since the odo is electric and not cable driven, I was guessing that with the key on the miles would roll up.

What brake system are you using for the TOAD? That was a big negative for me, having to install the braking system.

It's a PITA backing a dolly. We have a 38' Class A but in 5-ish years will buy a Class C for our remaining years of RVing.

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The real answer is you dont need a awd for a 250hp motor. Its just a waste of money. The fwd will handle that power with ease and have some tuning capabilities. 100% the fwd will smoke a awd.. So if you have more money than brains go awd.

Not only are you adding weight with the awd you are adding more parts to fail. In this power class fwd is the way to go since we are talking about speed.

Last edited:

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those that don't want a hybrid are missing out on savings ($1k up front and better mpgs) and reliability benefits (yes the battery and ecvt will outlast the turbo charger and 8sp automatic.)
My friend's 2021 Escape hybrid had the transmission fail at 22k miles. Ford's reliability is a crap shoot.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My friend's 2021 Escape hybrid had the transmission fail at 22k miles. Ford's reliability is a crap shoot.
There will be a failure rate in any factory produced product.

Manufacturers have a predetermined "acceptable" failure rate. if the failure rate exceeds the acceptable limit, then in this case, Ford examines the parts design, materials and manufacturing process to determine why the part is failing at a higher rate than anticipated.

Thankfully we have warranties.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

What brought me to the Maverick was the availability of a FWD truck, I have been hoping for such a combo for 30 years. Was looking at a Ridgeline, till the FWD option went away. If this truck was RWD with AWD option, then yes you should get AWD. I have been driving FWD cars for 36 years in Wisconsin where is does snow & do just fine. I also like the performance of Ford 2.0 Eco Boost. Also $3300 for AWD is way too much for something I don't need.

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
I sell parts for a living. It's ALL a crap shoot. You just do the maintenance and pray. I've seen problems with every manufacturer.
Sponsored