First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick video was the headliner segment on the PBS Motorweek show tonight. (OTA broadcast)
Sponsored

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Much of the discrepancy comes from elevation. The best times from an ICE vehicle will be near sea level with a higher barometric pressure. TFL usually has worse 0-60 times because they are based out of Boulder, CO in mile high altitudes. They even admit that. That video racing those trucks, even the fastest Tundra and Raptor could not break under 7 seconds in the high altitude. Car and Driver does their tests on a track they own in low elevation California, which is why they get fast times. I think Motorweek does their tests in low elevation Maryland and they get quick times too.

The one exceptions is hybrids and EV’s. They are not reliant on air mixture and may even have an advantage in high elevation since now there is a tiny bit less air resistance.
I rented a Prius sedan in Denver last August, highest mpg was 71.2

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Both this and the 7.4 hybrid number seem suspiciously quick. For the EB it's well documented it's around 6.7ish. And for hybrid I'd expect around 8.1ish. Perfectly fine for me in the hybrid either way.
Not going by hearsay, there are actual POV videos on Youtube where you can see the acceleration numbers. For the EB 2.0L, Motorweek got a 0-60 of 6.2 secs. A member on here with the tow package got a 6.3 secs. Saw two other YT videos, one tester got a 6.4, the other a 6.5 with 87 octane so reduced power. The 2017-2019 2.0L AWD Titanium Escapes were getting from 6.9-7.2 secs. they were about the same weight as the Maverick. I'm suspecting the Maverick is quicker because it has an 8 speed transmission vs the 6 speed that was in the Escapes, so the Maverick has a couple more gears to use.

rickon66

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo
Back in the late 60's I owned several muscle cars (3 GTO's and a 427 Vette among others)so I know what a quick car feels like and I believe the low 6 second times for the EB. My XL feels really strong, I Love merging onto I-55 and seeing how quick it is to 80+

sdy284

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT 2.0 FWD - Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the handheld ET meters that TFL and Redline Reviews are neat. Would like to have one to measure my motorcycle. Does anyone know how much they cost and who makes them. Not sure what to call them, hence hard to look up.
Not sure if this is what they used, but this is what Dragtimes uses

https://dragymotorsports.com/

Last edited:

Sponsored

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a different style of driving, learned it whole driving delivery trucks, watch traffic a mile ahead and behind you, you are big and slow so need extra time and hate shifting, slow down before you get to the red light and maybe not have to stop at all, driving a hybrid is the same way, pulse and glide.
Exactly. Glad I'm not the only "old fart" that knows how to drive to get the max MPG. As for looking far ahead and behind, got that habit from being on motorcycles for years. It's a survival tactic.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back in the late 60's I owned several muscle cars (3 GTO's and a 427 Vette among others)so I know what a quick car feels like and I believe the low 6 second times for the EB. My XL feels really strong, I Love merging onto I-55 and seeing how quick it is to 80+
I know what you mean about your XL and the way it feels. I loved drag racing in the 60's/early 70'sI had a 63' Sport Fury with 426 ci/425 hp Max Wedge that ran in the mid 12s and a 66' Vette 427 ci/425 hp that ran in the high 12s. Course the Vette only weighed 3003 lbs (I think) and a much higher geared rear end. A 71' Duster 340 six-pick got me high 13s.

For a couple of years we also raced a 66' Dodge Dart factory built, partial dealer sponsored D-stocker, which also ran in the low 14s and occasionally a very high 13 on a cool night race. The car could be ordered through a Dodge dealer as a Super Stock package and was designed for racing in the D/S (D Stock) class at NHRA, AHRA, and NASCAR drag strips. The 1966 Dodge D/Dart was a Factory Dart package built solely for drag racing. The 273 v8 was rated at 275hp and weighing in at just over 2900 lbs.

Of course we didn't worry about 8 or 9 mpg in the mid 60's where gas wars back then drove prices down to the $0.18-0.25 range. I don't know what any of those car's 0-60 times were, but remember the acceleration being very strong. I also now have a 2.0 XL and am impressed with how strong it feels. Certainly it's not throw you into the seat back 425 hp strong, but great for a $25k truck. It's hard to believe I'm driving a sub 15s-1/4 mile cheap truck.

Djcrconner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the AWD with tow package and it's faster than any V-8 truck I've ever driven. I'm not saying faster than a raptor or the Ram with the hellcat engine but I've never driven one of those
Sponsored