Sponsored

My 1-Year 12,000 Mile Maverick Review (Honeymoon is over...)

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It’s been 1 Year since I bought my first ever new vehicle, a 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid. There’s been some ups and downs but for the most part I still like my truck. I just hope Ford can fix the weird issues in the next couple years or I may be trading it for something different. For those who don't want to listen to my ramblings in video form here are my quick pros and cons:

Pros
  • Amazing gas mileage. 41-42MPG in the Summer. 37MPG in the winter.
  • Super comfortable ride and seats. 10 hour road trip in this thing was a breeze. Can't wait to go on more.
  • Paint and interior holding up really well after 1 year. Still get compliments and people thinking the vehicle is brand new.
  • So many storage and mod/accessory options.
Cons
  • Wish I could set default ride mode … if I could I would leave it in eco mode.
  • Battery/Power issues. Died twice over winter. Had to jump and buy battery charger to keep truck from dying on cold nights especially if it sits for more than 24 hours. I do drive a lot of small trips but should not have to worry about a brand new vehicle not starting. Ford dealership was no help and told me to "go on a roadtrip." It does seem like I am not alone with these issues and hopefully Ford will come up with a solution for this.
  • Scared of doing recall software updates after horror stories on forums.
I have had my Maverick for a year and completely agree with everything you wrote.
My truck never completely died with the battery issue. I had to take a few 60
Mile trips with it and it seems to be fine. I was all set to buy another battery but decided to see if the battery would charge on its own driving the truck.
Not having any experience with a hybrid I admit that I am always on edge driving the truck. All the problems people write about have me on the verge of a panic attack..
The weird noises and brief shudders does nothing for my state of mind.
I still believe that the Maverick is the perfect truck for a suburban homeowner. Anytime we need to haul something the truck is available.
Just pop the cover and load it up.
in the cover vein does anyone have trouble locking the cover back down? The spring on the latches sometimes don’t pop back when trying to latch them. I eventually get them back in position I just don’t know why this happens. It is not from over use. Can they be lubed or anything or is this just the joy of having a the ford folding soft top?
Sponsored

tciotti2003

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Omg I have 117000 on my Maverick XLT AWD it’s held up so far. Nobody really has many miles yet, I feel like I’m driving mine to death, but that’s what I bought it for. It’s great in snow and great with fuel.
I just bought my 1st edition 2022 Lariat about 8 weeks ago. It already had 21K...So far I'm loving it. Big enough for what I need and small enough to still fit comfortability in my garage And as far as I can tell, no issues...Have the 2.0L turbo and it still surprises my howmuch get up and go it has

Smshock

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima & Lincoln Navigator L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to hear that. I, recently, bought a 2024 Tremor and really enjoy it. Currently, getting 24.5 mpg. Not real crazy about the lane avoidance option but other than that I’m happy with my purchase.

1000018217.jpeg
Turn off the Lane Aviodance it's the button on the end of the turn signal.

Mr.EdzBluMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
EdmundM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid 43.5 to 45 mpg miles summer. 38.5 to 39mpg winter. Never had a starting issue, even after the truck set for a week. Been a year with no issues
Just bought a '24 Lariat Hybrid, 600 miles in 3 weeks, so far no problems, except the grabby brakes.

ShaunieBoy652

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

It’s been 1 Year since I bought my first ever new vehicle, a 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid. There’s been some ups and downs but for the most part I still like my truck. I just hope Ford can fix the weird issues in the next couple years or I may be trading it for something different. For those who don't want to listen to my ramblings in video form here are my quick pros and cons:

Pros
  • Super comfortable ride and seats. 10 hour road trip in this thing was a breeze. Can't wait to go on more.
  • Paint and interior holding up really well after 1 year. Still get compliments and people thinking the vehicle is brand new.
Cons
  • Battery/Power issues. Died twice over winter. Had to jump and buy battery charger to keep truck from dying on cold nights especially if it sits for more than 24 hours. I do drive a lot of small trips but should not have to worry about a brand new vehicle not starting. Ford dealership was no help and told me to "go on a roadtrip." It does seem like I am not alone with these issues and hopefully Ford will come up with a solution for this.

Sponsored

Lynnjer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2023 XLT hybrid has had no battery issues either, even after it sitting at an outside airport parking lot in New England in the winter, for two weeks!

tom lepree

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Pros
Cons
I have 22 xl never got over 38 mpg. What am I doing wrong?

B0B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just bought a '24 Lariat Hybrid, 600 miles in 3 weeks, so far no problems, except the grabby brakes.
I can't believe nobody at Ford stopped to say hey, these brakes are a little grabby... Or maybe they did and said, nah it's fine...

Sponsored

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Pros
Cons
1. MavMods on Ebay sells a module that allows you to pick the default drive mode. 10 minutes to install and under $40...it'd be better to get the option from onboard menu, but this is the next best thing.

2. I drive every day and have a gel battery already in the truck so I expect no issues with it...and a trickle charger is always an option, but yeah it's irritating to have this issue.

3. I back up my configuration onto the laptop so I can undo any glitch from a dealer update. I also turned off the auto update function on the truck so they don't push a faulty config to me.

New cars are complex beyond anything the automakers of old could have imagined...no surprise that it has gremlins, but it's all automakers and not just Ford. My 2018 Subaru has a dead battery from the DCM trying to "phone home" on a 3g network that's no longer active. Sheesh

Tanker64

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid Lux 360 SIBL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2023 XLT Lux Hybrid with 12,014 miles at 12 months getting around 41mpg. Zero issues; I've had both recalls done without issue. Mostly used on <50-mile trips but have done several over 1K round trip. Very comfortable.
My first pickup. Enjoyable little truck very handy for HD trips and general usage.

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2019 Hyunda1 Kona, 2002 Chevy S10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Pros
Cons
“Scared of doing recall…” is a silly comment. Forums will only show you the minority who have complaints. The majority without issues don’t usually feel a need to post that.

I’ve had all software issues updated without any issues.

Last edited:

AF Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

“Scared of doing recall…” is a stupid comment. Forums will only show you made-up complaints.

I’ve had all software issues updated without any issues.
Oh really? <queues Ice Cube's Check Yo Self>

I fear having recalls done as well.
I have no current issues with my Maverick (Hybrid).
Because of "complaints" on this forum, I know of potential axle (and other hybrid) issues.
Some of the complaint posts include possible solutions or causes of issues.

I was nervous, scared, and fearful on the thought of buying a first run vehicle.
Stupid comment?

@OP ... thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine after a year and 15k miles.
Yours paint looks good still. Have you considered a hood/bug deflector at all ?
Sponsored