Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your welcome, 800 miles to emptying
IMG_20221027_155111259.jpg
Clearly that's photo shopped. Jk. :)

I'm curious though, I don't understand how knowing the battery's charge helps if it's almost always in the 50%-90% charged state.

The one thing I've learned to do when the gauge says I'm getting 33mpg is rev the engine a little and back off. That puts me in electric mode for a while (usually until I come to a hill). But I don't need to know the battery charge to do that.

Why does slippery mode give the best gas mileage?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

AC kills the mpgs....
No doubt. I fill up at the 1/4 tank mark so will probably never see 600, let alone 7-800 miles per tank. It’s actually hilarious to be “disappointed” by 37.4 MPG. These are remarkably efficient little trucks.

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wouldn’t bother unless you lived somewhere really cold.
I agree. Seems like it wouldn’t make a meaningful difference until ambient temps are below 30-40*

Dryflytie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you are missing the point, although I understand it is an easy opportunity for a joke. My number one goal when driving is safety. The best way to do that is to stay away from other drivers...

I find that more often than not I am accelerating more quickly than the traffic around me. You will not find me trying to keep my maverick in EV mode pulling away from a stoplight. But if I am the only one on the road and I am on a road with a speed limit of <35 mph.... maybe.

This thread is about data and monitoring specific data. I am a curious to know more about my vehicle. To each their own!

I am going to try a few more of the X-Codes that @SuperDave71 posted. Maybe I can use some of this information as a proxy for what I want to see. In the meantime I have been using the EV coach screen...
No I see the point. Avoidance might be achievable in Michigan but I don't know how San Francisco guy avoids other drivers while in San Francisco.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tha

I'm curious though, I don't understand how knowing the battery's charge helps if it's almost always in the 50%-90% charged state.

The one thing I've learned to do when the gauge says I'm getting 33mpg is rev the engine a little and back off. That puts me in electric mode for a while (usually until I come to a hill). But I don't need to know the battery charge to do that.

That's also only 1k miles on the truck. I sold mine with 40k and it was at 39 and change.

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree. Seems like it wouldn’t make a meaningful difference until ambient temps are below 30-40*

I was not really thinking of normal cold weather, but even here in SC, I can experience routine lows in the 20's and extremes in the 10's. I just don't know what a block heater warms the temperature up to. I would think that anything that prevents the ICE from running just to warm up would be of value. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was not really thinking of normal cold weather, but even here in SC, I can experience routine lows in the 20's and extremes in the 10's. I just don't know what a block heater warms the temperature up to. I would think that anything that prevents the ICE from running just to warm up would be of value. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.
It depends on the block heater. Keep in mind though they are really meant to keep the oil thin. I see alot of them only get up to 80 degrees or less.

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander,Outlook,S10,1968Camaro,22Maverick.hybri
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Does JK mean joke, picture taken 16 days after purchase. October 16, 22. I don't know how to photo shop, I barely get the picture posted.

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where's the gauge that shows how long the line is? You know, the line of drivers behind grandpa electric hyper-mile tearing their hair out.
That's great grand Pa please, and I always check behind me to be sure I'm not impeding traffic. I'm out in the country , back roads little traffic.

Sponsored

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tha

That's also only 1k miles on the truck. I sold mine with 40k and it was at 39 and change.
I have 5400 miles now, mpg showing 52.8 . Worst tank full was 39.9 so far , cold weather and some interstate.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have 5400 miles now, mpg showing 52.8 . Worst tank full was 39.9 so far , cold weather and some interstate.
I did ALOT of interstate. My kids school is 30 miles away. I average 50 to there and back. Interstate was a solid 35 to 37.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Slippery has less Regen capture to put into battery so it can coast further and has less rate of speed reduction. You will reduce the conversion loss of momentum to battery storage and the conversion loss from battery to momentum. You also need to drive in a manner to not waste the momentum energy. I have not done much ACC driving in slippery but if I remember right the power used needle does not peak as high and return to set cruise speed is less aggressive.
Edit: like grandpa mode at 70mph🤗

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Would an engine block heater be of any value even in milder climates during colder weather to enhance MPG's due to a faster lCE warm up?
A little bit.
As posted elsewhere engine water temp. needs to be 122°F or greater to allow EV mode (after the engine starts. You can depart in EV at any temperature as far as I know).

122°F is about the maximum my Escape would get to with the 400 watt block heater, in an unheated garage at 10°F. Outdoors with breeze you'll probably top out in the 80's.

Last edited:

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slippery every day. Even in the rain. 😉

Short, cold engine trips, sure only about 30 MPG. But then lots of warm engine trips at 70 MPG makes for a decent tank average.

Using the heater vents is a killer. I do that the least possible. The 2 days I had frost on the windows it really bugged the hell out of me to burn gas without the truck moving. I think I will use the garden hose on the truck next time. 😉

Last night: cold engine start and drive home at 48°F. City. Like 12 stoplights. Used heated seats and wheel only. Kept vents off. Net 60 MPG.

Zero to 35 mph or zero to 40 mph depending on zone. No faster than 40.
Low average speed because the clock runs while at stoplights.

Also, I had ZERO engine run time at stoplights. I'm able to get the engine warm (gauge just above the "C") before the first stoplight. If you run the heater vents, it takes a long time to get the gauge off the C.

BFD823C0-8BCB-4739-BD83-7DA96D88BC78.jpeg
I am curious if these short trips are causing your engine oil to look like mayonnaise. You collect a lot of data, so what is your oil temperature typically after one of these 11-12 mile mostly electric trips?
Sponsored