First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would assume it is still drive able so take it to a body shop if you haven't already and see what the body shop thinks . Just seems strange even with a frame issue it cant be straightened enough for use.
Mavericks have no frame, they are built like a small car. Unibody construction does not take much damage to be a total.

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just looks like it needs a new bumper and tailgate. Guess there must be frame damage…
That is the danger of these trucks. There is no frame. It's a unibody vehicle. Very delicate.

Sponsored

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would assume the unibody is damaged. There is a video on this forum where a person explains the underside of the Maverick and the crush points. On the surface it doesn’t look severe. I would like to see the insurance estimate of the damage Along with pictures.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards buying it back, but I was told the insurance is sky high and like you say, the title will be marked as a salvage vehicle. Gonna be a coin flip as to which way to go. I also bought the extended warantee so I will present that to the insurance company also.
You should be able to get a prorated amount back from the extended warranty, I've done that with Ford ESPs at least.

I personally would not buy it back, not for 12k. I know folks are gung-ho on buying back these totaled Mavericks, I absolutely would not. The prices will come down on these. Especially Ecoboost models, you'll be able to find another in less than 6 months. Ford has not taken enough orders to max out production, Ecoboost models will be on the lots early next year. And there will be dealers out there that let them go at MSRP. Might take some calling around and work on your end, but I'd much rather do that then mess with a salvaged vehicle that you probably cannot get parts for in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm sorry this happened to you :(

Retired

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid, 2012 focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree with above posts, unibody is the issue. Most any insurance company would total it.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

any decent body shop should be able to handle a 1-1/4" bent rear frame for much less than you were told.
one thing to keep in mind is that the collision and repair will be part of your trucks history and will affect your resale value.
I agree with this. It might be too late if the OP has already agreed to total it, but my first move would have been to get 2 additional repair quotes. ESPECIALLY if the first quote was a Ford dealer. Many dealerships have no body shop and farm it out, and the shops they use are not necessarily the highest rated ones you might choose.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Once the Insurance company deems it a total loss its value is cut in half at a minimum. That damage is very minor compared to other accidents. At any other time in history when cars were plentiful and could be bought off a lot.this wouldn't be an issue, but when we have a vehicle that is specially ordered in such a short window a year in advance this doesn't bode well for us Maverick and the value of our trucks if they are involved in any type of accident.

I would really need to access this situation. Take it to 2 different reputable body shops and get their assessment and estimate of repair. Let them know the entire situation to avoid them padding the bill. Then make your decision on fighting the insurance companies decision. What they put on the Carfax will determine the vehicle's value going forward.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I agree with this. It might be too late if the OP has already agreed to total it, but my first move would have been to get 2 additional repair quotes. ESPECIALLY if the first quote was a Ford dealer. Many dealerships have no body shop and farm it out, and the shops they use are not necessarily the highest rated ones you might choose.
I read on another thread that body repair guides are still not out from Ford. So shops don't even have the necessary repair/replace diagrams to even repair such damage. Those diagrams are critical for body shops, not just Ford shops.. Sure, any reasonable shop could repair it, but I'm positive they need those guides. Combine that with the fact that replacement parts are tough to come by, I'd walk on this one if I were OP. The $12k buy back isn't chump change for a lot of folks to tie up in a damaged vehicle. Even once repaired, OP will be left with a salvaged/rebuilt title. These Ecoboost models will be a dime a dozen next year, the demand with Mavericks is primarily in the hybrid model. OP can get a new Ecoboost from dealer stock @ MSRP in less than 6 months I bet.

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read on another thread that body repair guides are still not out from Ford. So shops don't even have the necessary repair/replace diagrams to even repair such damage. Those diagrams are critical for body shops, not just Ford shops.. Sure, any reasonable shop could repair it, but I'm positive they need those guides. Combine that with the fact that replacement parts are tough to come by, I'd walk on this one if I were OP. The $12k buy back isn't chump change for a lot of folks to tie up in a damaged vehicle. Even once repaired, OP will be left with a salvaged/rebuilt title. These Ecoboost models will be a dime a dozen next year, the demand with Mavericks is primarily in the hybrid model. OP can get a new Ecoboost from dealer stock @ MSRP in less than 6 months I bet.
The problem is finding another affordable vehicle in those 6 months. I’ve been looking for a vehicle for over a year - and can’t find one because I refuse to pay more than they are worth.

Used trucks especially sell for their new price right now, it is wild… and the recession hasn’t seemed to slow that down, because inflation just makes it worse. Things will likely change over the next 6-12 months, but that is a long time to go without a ride.

Personally, I’d rather drive a salvaged Maverick that I could easily part out for $12,000 than overpay for a car I don’t want (like an Escape)… but that’s just me. The market for trucks will never tank, salvaged or not. If you live up north, drive it down south and someone will buy it off of you on the street.

Chowdayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT FX4 Lightning Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few months ago a car rear ended my neighbors car which then rear ended mine. I didn’t even contact insurance. I took it to a body shop and popped out the tail gate for $100. I wonder if I should have reported it .
Ford Maverick Minor rear ender or total loss? Answer inside. [Updated with underbody photos of damage] BFA92EB4-3F7C-45EF-ABF9-2D3B59B7BBCC
Ford Maverick Minor rear ender or total loss? Answer inside. [Updated with underbody photos of damage] E4884584-D3F2-4A80-A9D1-4AF798F18A83

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here is a picture of my 2022 Velocity Blue Maverick before and after being rear ended. Believe it or not, what seems to be readily fixable was deemed a total loss by my insurance company. 😩

tempImageqQBmuV.png

IMG_5355.jpeg
Okay…. So the insurance company knows it will be months…. Months of a rental car, big bucks. The insurance company knows parts are few and far between, so big bucks. The insurance company also knows there is no repair books for the auto body repair, again hit and miss and big bucks. Easier to total an unknown. But, if you buy it, get a good shop to fix it and use it, who gives a rats ass what the title says? If your buying it for an investment.. don’t, but if your buying it to keep and it can be reasonably fixed… drive it, be happy and move on. If none of the above, take the money and buy new…. Once it’s fixed, your the only one who knows it was damaged, so who cares. In 10 years the rust and the Ford motor will be both be unrepairable so junk it.
Sponsored