Sponsored

Menu projects oil change at 4,000 miles. Driven 2,010 mi. Why not 5,000 mi.

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
23 maverick hybrid. 106.45 mins, on engine.
2010 mi, 47.3 mpg.
oil life remaining 57%
I drive on expressway about 35 miles weekly. The remaining miles in city, using battery about 40% useage.

At 57% remaining oil life, it appears to project I will do my oil change with at about 4,000 miles.

I see many on the forum doing their oil changes at 5,000, 7,500 miles with at about 20% oil life still left. I see other of course do earlier changes for the initial break in for engine.

why do you think I will need to change at 4,000 miles? Is it because I ran a lot of hours on the engine compared to miles performed?
Any advice? thank you for information and direction. I would like to change synthetic oil at least 5,000 miles.
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do it at 5,000. My EB has just under 6,000 miles and still says I have 2,000 more miles of life on my oil (though I plan to get it done before the summer travel season).

Keep in mind the calculation also includes time. Don't know when you got your 23, but if it is fairly old, that might be running the counter up.

Unless you are being absolutely brutal to your truck, 5,000 is plenty.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2010 mi, 47.3 mpg.
oil life remaining 57%
I drive on expressway about 35 miles weekly. The remaining miles in city, using battery about 40% useage.

At 57% remaining oil life, it appears to project I will do my oil change with at about 4,000 miles.

I see many on the forum doing their oil changes at 5,000, 7,500 miles with at about 20% oil life still left. I see other of course do earlier changes for the initial break in for engine.

why do you think I will need to change at 4,000 miles? Is it because I ran a lot of hours on the engine compared to miles performed?
Any advice? thank you for information and direction. I would like to change synthetic oil at least 5,000 miles.
Did you purchase the vehicle in the last 6 months? Ford, per your manual, recommends an oil change at most every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Depending on how the vehicle is used, it may be more frequent than that.

The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor looks at both. It measures how the vehicle is operated (light vs. heavy duty operation, etc.) to determine oil life based on miles. It also measures time. It then shows you whichever is lower.

So if you'll only hit a bit over 4,000 miles in 12 months, it'll still tell you to get an oil change done at 12 months.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2010 mi, 47.3 mpg.
oil life remaining 57%

The computer is calculating the number of miles taking amount of time ice is running into consideration. If you never take truck out of ready state and ice cycles many many times you could have to change your oil in a few number of miles. ((200?, 500?, ????).
Edit to add. I had one that said to change oil at 900 miles but that was because it was my backup and one year had passed.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2010 mi, 47.3 mpg.
oil life remaining 57%

I would do it between now and 5K miles, if nothing else but to get the break-in oil and tiny factory filter out of it.

After that, do it when the OLM tells you to. If you don't want to go by the OLM, do what the book says, which is every 10K or 1 year for a Hybrid.

Sponsored

OP
OP

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do it at 5,000. My EB has just under 6,000 miles and still says I have 2,000 more miles of life on my oil (though I plan to get it done before the summer travel season).

Keep in mind the calculation also includes time. Don't know when you got your 23, but if it is fairly old, that might be running the counter up.

thank you for response. I was just hoping to change at 5,000 miles, instead of the expected 4,000 miles. Since I have Ford Pass, and if I changed at 5,000 miles and the oil life meter tells me to change at approximately, 4,000 miles, well then maybe a potential problem with the warranity if needed.

I picked up my truck November 2 of 2023.

OP
OP

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you purchase the vehicle in the last 6 months? Ford, per your manual, recommends an oil change at most every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Depending on how the vehicle is used, it may be more frequent than that.

The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor looks at both. It measures how the vehicle is operated (light vs. heavy duty operation, etc.) to determine oil life based on miles. It also measures time. It then shows you whichever is lower.

So if you'll only hit a bit over 4,000 miles in 12 months, it'll still tell you to get an oil change done at 12 months.
Thank you for your time.
I picked up the truck Nov. 2 2023.
I don't haul things in the truck and I don't push the engine.
Could "heavy duty" mean I used mostly in town?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for your time.
I picked up the truck Nov. 2 2023.
I don't haul things in the truck and I don't push the engine.
Could "heavy duty" mean I used mostly in town?
Sounds like your oil life % is currently based on time, not actual usage. It seems to run a bit slow, 50% would be around May 2, 2024, for you but the monitor may read a few percent higher. With a hybrid that doesn't see a lot of towing, extreme hot/cold operation, mountain climbing, you could drive closer to 10,000 miles a year and your oil life monitor would still be right around 57% today.

The bottom line is that, in your case, that 57% is not based on your actual usage. Based on that alone, you could probably go much longer. However, Ford recommends you get an oil change every 12 months, and that's what your Maverick will tell you to do. If you don't get an oil change sooner, it will tell you to do so right around the one year anniversary from picking it up.

If your driving picks up over the summer and you're closer to 5,000 miles before November 2, 2024, then that's when it will tell you to get it done. Again, it's the 12 month interval that's your limiter, not miles. But at 4,000 miles a year, doing it at 5,000 miles would be at 15 months, or 3 months late.

Here's what your manual has to say about intervals:

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the instrument cluster display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.

When to Expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message
Interval
Vehicle Use and Example​
7,500–12,500 mi (12,000–20,000 km)
Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling
5,000–7,500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)
Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation
3,000–5,000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)
Extreme
Maximum load or towing Extreme hot or cold operation Extended engine idling
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

thank you for response. I was just hoping to change at 5,000 miles, instead of the expected 4,000 miles. Since I have Ford Pass, and if I changed at 5,000 miles and the oil life meter tells me to change at approximately, 4,000 miles, well then maybe a potential problem with the warranity if needed.

the timer is set for 10k miles or 12 months. on a low mileage vehicle, sometime around the 5-6 month mark, it will change the percentage to represent how many months remain until 12 months has elapsed. 4 months left would be 33% oil life, for example.

my wife's bronco was purchased in april 2022 and has 5700 miles. it gets an annual change.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Mine will be changed this month at the 10-month old mark. So, it is interesting your clock is ticking faster. Someone with more knowledge of Forscan than me can say if that is a variable that can be changed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like your oil life % is currently based on time, not actual usage. It seems to run a bit slow, 50% would be around May 2, 2024, for you but the monitor may read a few percent higher. With a hybrid that doesn't see a lot of towing, extreme hot/cold operation, mountain climbing, you could drive closer to 10,000 miles a year and your oil life monitor would still be right around 57% today.

The bottom line is that, in your case, that 57% is not based on your actual usage. Based on that alone, you could probably go much longer. However, Ford recommends you get an oil change every 12 months, and that's what your Maverick will tell you to do. If you don't get an oil change sooner, it will tell you to do so right around the one year anniversary from picking it up.

If your driving picks up over the summer and you're closer to 5,000 miles before November 2, 2024, then that's when it will tell you to get it done. Again, it's the 12 month interval that's your limiter, not miles. But at 4,000 miles a year, doing it at 5,000 miles would be at 15 months, or 3 months late.

Here's what your manual has to say about intervals:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web
thank you for the numbers and the manual insert.
I see in the manual the words "extreme conditions" extreme hot or cold operation"?
Hot & cold operation: does that mean vehicle temperature gauge or weather conditions?
I don't idle much at all. I just take about 10 trips a week that are about 2 miles in length.

Does my driving style make me a candiate that has to change tranny fluid at 30,000 miles?
I change my tranny fluid on my cars by dropping pan. This looks different.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you sure you're reading that right?
Unless I'm misunderstanding this, I think you have 4,000 on top of current odometer reading.

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids and EBs have very different behavior patterns for oil, and several factors are addressed in oil life. Experts seem to agree that changing cheap oil frequently is better than running expensive oil longer, eh? Of course, 0W-20 (for hybrid) is only available in synthetic... When in doubt, change it out.

OP
OP

scotty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you sure you're reading that right?
Unless I'm misunderstanding this, I think you have 4,000 on top of current odometer reading.
If you are speaking to me "scotty" i have 2010 miles. the estimate based on current miles, I will be at 4000 miles

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are speaking to me "scotty" i have 2010 miles. the estimate based on current miles, I will be at 4000 miles
I bought mine at the end of Sept 2023 and have 1050 miles on it. 64% oil life remaining. Estimating Dec 2024 and another 1300 miles. Which is outside the 12 month Ford suggestion.
Sponsored