Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of features, terrific warranty, and the profile manages to avoid the bulbous, generic suv shape with a wedge shape that makes it look long and sleek, reminiscent of the old triumph tr7. Very fresh! This thing could really take off. If it did, that would be very, very good for the compact truck market. Imagine a dog pile of manufacturers scrambling to get their own compact truck out to the public!
Stelantis already killed the Ram compact (Ram 100, Dakota, whatever) they had on the drawing board. New Frontier is still mid-sized and so is coming new Ranger. Would probably have to be foreign competitors to bring a compact here.
Sponsored

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 Sonata
Engine
Undecided
I agree, it is both bogus and sad the Maverick isnt made here, but I look at the bigger picture with all the profits going to an American company at least. When I can afford to step up to bigger, American made Ford products, i certainly will!
I've always been for "Buy American" when it comes to vehicles - with the exception of my 1970 Beetle. :rolleyes: But that's almost an impossibility now. So my current philosophy is either American-based company, or American-based manufacturing. I no longer have a need for a large truck, and would be very open-minded to the Santa Cruz when I decide to replace my 2019 Ranger.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Although Santa Cruz pricing won’t be announced until Summer, it’s pretty easy to guess a ballpark. Since the Santa Cruz is based on the Santa Fe, I would expect its pricing to be similar. The 2021 Santa Fe starts at $27k with front wheel drive.
Supposedly based on the Tuscon, actually. Though, I'm guessing it is more closely related to the Santa Fe than the Tuscon. My partner was highly impressed by the Santa Fe design, lets of storage and very practical. It looks like the back seat sports some 35" of legroom, too.

Plus....Hyundai has a much better warranty and offers 3 yrs/36000mi maintenance with the purchase, which blows Ford out of the water.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Subaru ought to sue them for copying the Brat.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Supposedly based on the Tuscon, actually. Though, I'm guessing it is more closely related to the Santa Fe than the Tuscon. My partner was highly impressed by the Santa Fe design, lets of storage and very practical. It looks like the back seat sports some 35" of legroom, too.

Plus....Hyundai has a much better warranty and offers 3 yrs/36000mi maintenance with the purchase, which blows Ford out of the water.
My bad, if based on Tucson price starts at $23,700

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the Baja
By the way, I worked at a Subaru dealership for a few years, the Baja was a poor seller as a new car; as a used car we couldn’t get enough of them.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Hey Ford!

Wanna come out with something the Santa Cruz does not have? How about a plug in hybrid drive train? Hyundai says they will have one in the Tucson, but not the Santa Cruz. Just saying.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
By the way, I worked at a Subaru dealership for a few years, the Baja was a poor seller as a new car; as a used car we couldn’t get enough of them.
I suspect the reason the Baja was a good seller used and a poor seller new was price. They were expensive new. I think people tended to view them as a second vehicle. I think the Santa Cruz may suffer the same fate if they are not careful. I watched a chunk of the Hyundai release and there was a flavor of "look how cool our new toy is." If you market it like toy, you have to price it like a toy.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The Santa Cruz looks astoundingly good. In bed storage, steps and tie downs look awesome. 3500/5000 pound towing depending on engine. Back seat looks super tiny which I love also since Im just ripping it all out anyway.

I hope the Maverick can compare because the Santa Cruz is a mighty good looking option. If they can price a baser model without many options around the Maverick price points rumored then it would be a hard choice to go with the Mav for me.

Biggest thing I don’t like is the standard AWD(Edit: I seeing conflicting reports they may actually have a FWD model as well) and safety nonsense honestly. Just as I predicted the Santa Cruz is definitely looking like the better option for people who like fancy and good looking.
Not really... personally I think it looks like a Korean El Camino. Comments on the Santa Cruz fan pages prove styling is controversial at best..

Has the same problem as Ridgeline - can't go off-road.. and with 20" wheels show that even light off-road was not in mind by Hyundai engineers.

I do like the fact that they copied some of the best features from the Honda Ridgeline (inbed storage, power outlet in bed wall and quick folding rear seats - all stolen directly from the Ridgeline). I really hope Ford steals these features as well.

One fo the handiest Ridgeline features that Hyundai didn't copy is the dual-action tailgate. I was surprised to read that Honda wasn't the first with that type of tailgate.. Ford was in the 1960's with Ford and Mercury station wagons. Hopefully they'll rediscover this innovation in the Maverick.

Towing capacity is surprisingly good at 5,000 lb. with the turbo/AWD.

Edmunds predicts starting price for the thing will be somewhere around $35K.. so your dreams of a cheap Santa Cruz are dashed..

Meanwhile, I love the Maverick Raptor render posted on this forum... something a Santa Cruz could never pull off..
Ford Maverick Maverick vs  Hyundai Santa Cruz 1618587019801

Last edited:
Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have to say the Santa Cruz is a strong offering from Hyundai. From what we know about the Maverick so far I also think the Santa Cruz engine options are much better than what Ford plan's on using. The back seat of the Santa Cruz does look very small though so that has me concerned. In addition to it looking tight on space I saw a video review that said they seatbacks are rather upright in the back seat so that could result in discomfort for back seat passengers on long trips. I'm worried now that between the two vehicles they'll both have some strong pluses and cons which might make the decision even more difficult.
The guy who tested the backseat for Edmunds is only 5'8" and he only had an inch for his knees... so the backseat is out on the Santa Cruz for adults

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
According to Autoline Detroit, the 10" primary display is an option over a traditional gauge package.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The guy who tested the backseat for Edmunds is only 5'8" and he only had an inch for his knees... so the backseat is out on the Santa Cruz for adults
I saw that video review from Edmunds as well. The reviewer also pointed out that the rear seat backs were rather upright which would likely make them uncomfortable when sitting in them for extended periods at a time. Several years ago my Father had a Silverado with the extended cab and the seatback were very upright and extremely uncomfortable. Then he traded that one for a loaded Crew cab and that thing was posh. The rear seat room was huge and and luxurious. Anyway it looks like for me Santa Cruz is out but the Maverick might be out also if it's not much better. We'll have to wait and see. I'll still check out the Santa Cruz once they hit dealer lots but it's not looking promising.

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with most all the comments here. I'm shockingly impressed by the looks, love the rear-seat pull up, love the integrated cover, mostly fine wit the bed length. BUT, a full, touch screen ONLY console is 10000000% a deal killer for me. Even Honda realized how stupid that was and did a running change on the Ridgeline to add a volume knob.
Sponsored