Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure he was overweight by several hundred pounds. Most OEM's test at percentages of over-capacity, just in case.... o_O

Bottom line, for a compact coil spring IRS, that is a solid result!

That's been the recent knock on RAM since they went coil spring, you get a better ride, at the expense of reduced cargo ratings. Some of their lux trucks are under 1000#'s! 🤭
Sponsored

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It reminds me of the children's story of The Little Engine That thought he could everybody made fun of him but and made it over the big mountain all by himself that's what our little Mavericks are gone to do 👍😊🖒everyday

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think this video was meant as a seat-of-the-pants, here's what it looks like doing real-world stuff that most of us will do once a year or so in the life of our trucks. From that perspective, it was useful and informative. How many $30k-ish sedans or SUVs can do that?

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Let me ask a dumb question.
A battery tender or maintainer for cold weather keeps an ordinary car battery topped off if you leave the car parked in a frozen garage for a week. the tender plugs to (an extension cord) AC wall power.

Would they be any conceivable advantage to using the tender overnight on the hybrid Maverick battery? First 10 or 50 miles on wall power instead of gas?

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A battery tender or maintainer for cold weather keeps an ordinary car battery topped off if you leave the car parked in a frozen garage for a week. the tender plugs to (an extension cord) AC wall power.

Would they be any conceivable advantage to using the tender overnight on the hybrid Maverick battery? First 10 or 50 miles on wall power instead of gas?
Let me answer a dumb question. 😁

12V battery doesn't power the electric motor, and the lithium battery even if it were plug-in is tiny, its not designed for 50 miles of EV operation. The plugin Escape for example can manage 37 miles using a lithium battery 13x the size of the one in the Maverick.

Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
I am glad someone did a video on this just for reference. I cannot for the life of me find one like this for the Santa Cruz. I just wonder how the SC would do since there still seems to be unanswered questions about what payload it can actual handle.

Dan_Lariat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX, Mercury Montego, Mitsubishi Raider
Really well done video and good information. Has anyone tested the payload without the towing package? Does the towing package change the rear axle sag as compared to the 2WD?

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am glad someone did a video on this just for reference. I cannot for the life of me find one like this for the Santa Cruz. I just wonder how the SC would do since there still seems to be unanswered questions about what payload it can actual handle.
So I just did a search again to try and figure out patient zero for the 660lb bed limit. Alex on Autos says the 660lb limit was from an engineer and it was wrong and based on having all passengers in the vehicle or something like that, as Hyundai contacted him directly about it. I figured if there was a restriction, it should be on the door jam or in the owner's manual, and there is none at least as of now. https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/conte.../santa-cruz/2022-Santa-Cruz-Owners-Manual.pdf

For example, TFL was one of the first major ones to publish that 660lbs number, but then they later redacted it: https://tflcar.com/2021/04/ask-nathan-hyundai-santa-cruz-honda-ridgeline/
Ready for something unexpected? The Santa Cruz will have maximum bed of 660 lbs (edit* according to Hyundai total maximum payload is 1,700 lbs).
So since there is nothing from Hyundai official that I can find anywhere about the 660lbs limit, it should be able to store it all in the bed just like the Maverick.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
So I just did a search again to try and figure out patient zero for the 660lb bed limit. Alex on Autos says the 660lb limit was from an engineer and it was wrong and based on having all passengers in the vehicle or something like that, as Hyundai contacted him directly about it. I figured if there was a restriction, it should be on the door jam or in the owner's manual, and there is none at least as of now. https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/conte.../santa-cruz/2022-Santa-Cruz-Owners-Manual.pdf

For example, TFL was one of the first major ones to publish that 660lbs number, but then they later redacted it: https://tflcar.com/2021/04/ask-nathan-hyundai-santa-cruz-honda-ridgeline/

So since there is nothing from Hyundai official that I can find anywhere about the 660lbs limit, it should be able to store it all in the bed just like the Maverick.
I would just like to see what happens when you load 1200 lbs. or so of weight in the bed of the SC. How would it drive, how would the load leveling work, etc. The numbers they are saying it can handle seem too good to be true. I am even questioning if the tires are rated for the stated payload numbers.

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just for clarification, I put "courtesy of BlakesCars2" because this isn't my vehicle.

I still drive a Ram 1500 hemi. But even my Ram when I loaded it about this full with a pallet of pavers, OMG, it was practically scraping the exhausts too and that was on a much bigger truck. We drove home laughing going about 30mph knowing we were flirting with disaster! So the Maverick is plenty impressive! 😲

I think the only one that actually might do well when it comes to butt-scraping is the Santa Cruz because it has a self-leveling suspension, however, there is some controversy about what the true payload of the SC is. Some say its 1,750lbs in the lightest SE trim which is absolutely insanely good and others say its only 660lbs, possibly because that's how much the lid on the bed trunk can support which isn't at all impressive.

750bc187359924e66a3e3f7579a3947f.png
Enjoyed the video, but honestly, I really don't think I would have cause to put 3/4 of a ton of whatever in the back of this little truck. 🤔

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
No, I could look at the sticker for five minutes or see it done for five minutes. Either way, what's your beef?
No beef. If a vehicle says it has xxxx lbs of payload (unique doorjamb sticker) then that's what it has. Never found a reason to question it. GVWR (door jamb safety compliance label) minus actual vehicle weight (from the factory with full tank of gas) = actual payload lbs. on other doorjamb sticker. I've seen some F150 owners post their payload stickers that are north of 3000 lbs but never one that put 1.5 tons of stuff in the bed to verify it was valid. My Honda payload is only 850 lbs which is me + wife + 2 friends going out for dinner with some stuff in the cargo area.

We all know people going over on payload is very common and usually not harmful to the truck. Video guy was likely a couple hundred over the door sticker and no harm no foul. Maybe he just wanted to see how much rear 'squat' he got with the load, IDK.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No that is not how bed load capacity is calculated.

The sticker in the driver door frame is the max bed load capacity WITHOUT anyone in the vehicle. You must subtract the driver's weight and the weight of anyone or anything else in the Cab.

From Maverick User Manual page 255

Payload is the combined weight of cargo and passengers that your vehicle is carrying. The maximum payload for your vehicle appears on the Tire and Loading label. The label is either on the B-pillar or the edge of the driver door.

Look for “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lb” for maximum payload.

The payload listed on the Tire and Loading Information label is the maximum payload for your vehicle as built by the assembly plant. If you install any additional equipment on your vehicle, you must determine the new payload.

Subtract the weight of the equipment from the payload listed on the Tire and Loading label.
When towing, trailer tongue weight or king pin weight is also part of payload.
You can reread my post. That's exactly what I said. Passenger weight subtracts from the load capacity of the vehicle. My point was that you can load the bed with whatever weight is still allowed, and still have some capacity to put on a trailer - so you aren't limited to just the capacity in the bed.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would just like to see what happens when you load 1200 lbs. or so of weight in the bed of the SC. How would it drive, how would the load leveling work, etc. The numbers they are saying it can handle seem too good to be true. I am even questioning if the tires are rated for the stated payload numbers.
So the load leveling shocks they use are not Hyundai ones, they are used on many different vehicles. Basically when you load everything into the bed it will plop down low, however, as you drive down the road the up and down motion of the suspension pumps up an air-spring inside the shock until its level. When you remove the weight, it will temporarily pop up high, and then slowly lower itself by deflating the internal air spring just using gravity.

Rather than install these on a Maverick, you can simulate something similar by just installing supplemental airbags inside the springs, and use the 12V connection in the bed for a little pump.

This one isn't made for the Maverick, but just an example. They don't have the Maverick listed quite yet: https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/air-lift-1000/ Cost should be under $100.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So upon further research, I think the first video was actually quite overloaded. Looks like you have to pick the weakest link when loading, as they list maximums for the front and rear as well, so ideally some of that load would be tossed in the passenger footwell and fold the seats up and put in the back as well to balance it out more, and not all in the back.

Ford Maverick Maverick payload capacity maxed out w/ 1500lbs in bed - test by owner Capture.JPG

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not a particularly dumb question. Just a dumb place to ask it.

It has nothing to do with this thread. You should have started a new one or found a more relevant one.
Sponsored