Sponsored

Maverick or Prius?

Skee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Tacoma
I originally ordered my maverick to use as a DD and commuter for my 110 mile round trip commute. It gets way better mileage than my Tacoma which I plan on keeping.
But now after waiting 5 months and still not having a build date I am wondering if I should just get something like a 2017 prius that gets even better mileage and I’ll still have my Tacoma for truck things.
Any of you Prius/maverick owners care to chime in?
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Prius is a good commuter car and would likely save on both gas and long term maintenance. I commute a lot less and want a Maverick over my current Prius. However, I don’t have a small pick up like you. You would need to decide what you want to drive. Test drive both and seewhat you like better. You will be spending several hours a day in the vehicle! You want to enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Last edited:

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since you have the tacoma you're certainly not losing any capability. A prius def gives some better mpg but really just depends what you like to drive. Compared to the taco you're saving a ton either way. If you like being in a truck it might be hard to handle a prius everyday. Whatever you decide I think it's better to go new in this market. So I'd wait for the mav and even if you want something else you'll get your money back at least. Then wait again for a new prius or whatever

Last edited:

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a Prius owner but here's my reasoning for my decision for a Maverick as a daily (I currently have a hatchback as a daily). I too have a truck ('06 Tundra 4 door 4WD) that I'm keeping for truck duties. I drive about 75 miles a day for work, so less than your 110 miles.

1. My '06 Tundra has ~72k miles on it and I plan to keep it for a long time (I'm retiring in 6 years). The Maverick being able to handle most of my truck duties will keep the miles off the Tundra in hopes it'll last longer into retirement.

2. My wife (retires in 4 years) has a '16 Lexus NX 300H daily commuter with 55k miles. We use this for all of our running, out of town trips, etc. Instead we'll use the Maverick to keep the miles off of her Lexus in hopes it'll last longer into retirement.

If this works out like planned then we'll go into retirement with reliable vehicles with low(ish) miles and no car payments. This basically has us spending money on a vehicle while we're both working vs in retirement (or at least until SS kicks in).

I think if your plan is to keep the Tacoma for a long time then getting a Maverick to offset some of the usage will help with that.

Goose..you there?

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having had 2 Prius and now an Ioniq…The Prius is drop dead dependable…but my Ioniq is a much better car in my opinion…that being said, I am tired of my butt being on the ground all the time! Can’t wait for the Maverick to get me up in the air and still get great mileage

Sponsored

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Retired: had a Prius, got crunched-have a hybrid maverick, if your young enough to get in and out of the Prius I would go that way the Mav craze will be over in a couple of years, then we will know what quality it has. my 2cents

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5 month wait for a vehicle that Ford wasn't allowed to sell until December. OH THE HUMANITY!

These posts always crack me up. So much so I basically quit posting on B6G because the entitlement and need it now attitude is too much to take.

You ordered a vehicle in a pandemic, during massive global supply chain shortages, and a new model year.

Now you want to go buy a 5 year old compact sedan in the name of of gas mileage because you can't wait any longer?

Yes. Go buy the 2017 Prius.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having had 2 Prius and now an Ioniq…The Prius is drop dead dependable…but my Ioniq is a much better car in my opinion…that being said, I am tired of my butt being on the ground all the time! Can’t wait for the Maverick to get me up in the air and still get great mileage
Same here. I really love driving my Fit but falling into it is starting to get a bit tiring. The firm ride isn't doing my back any favors either

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I commute with an electric car, and use the hybrid Maverick for truck things.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect the Prius will better serve you, unless you need a bed during those commutes. Particularly if you're keeping the Tacoma no matter what.

Sponsored

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I originally ordered my maverick to use as a DD and commuter for my 110 mile round trip commute. It gets way better mileage than my Tacoma which I plan on keeping.
But now after waiting 5 months and still not having a build date I am wondering if I should just get something like a 2017 prius that gets even better mileage and I’ll still have my Tacoma for truck things.
Any of you Prius/maverick owners care to chime in?
I hate to see the two mentioned in the same paragraph honestly.

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
If you’re keeping the Tacoma, Prius definitely. I’m replacing my Ranger and a Prius with a Maverick.

OP
OP

Skee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Tacoma
5 month wait for a vehicle that Ford wasn't allowed to sell until December. OH THE HUMANITY!

These posts always crack me up. So much so I basically quit posting on B6G because the entitlement and need it now attitude is too much to take.

You ordered a vehicle in a pandemic, during massive global supply chain shortages, and a new model year.

Now you want to go buy a 5 year old compact sedan in the name of of gas mileage because you can't wait any longer?

Yes. Go buy the 2017 Prius.
I wasn’t mentioning the 5 month wait to complain, simply saying that it has given me 5 months to question whether it’s the best option for my needs and this seems like a good site to ask for a direct comparison. Thanks for your sass and input though haha.

OP
OP

Skee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Tacoma
I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Ioniq vs Prius, with the Prius seeming to get better reviews. What particularly did you like about it?

twolane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m also in the 100% Prius camp. Our family is on our third Prius and they are terrific DDs. They have way more storage in the back (when the seats are folded flat) than you’d expect and work out for hauling quite a bit of stuff.

We drive a ton(50k+ a year) and never had an issue running the cars well over 200k. In fact, our first that we traded in with 230k on it was still on the first set of brakes. The Maverick is very promising, but as others have said, the reliability as a big question mark. Ford doesn’t exactly always knock it out of the park like Toyota does.

I too, had a Tacoma to do truck things- motorcycle hauling, construction material hauling and the like- but the terrible fuel economy really discouraged me from driving it much more than when it was 100% necessary. If you’ve already got the truck, get the Prius. They’re a little soulless, but they’re not a bad ride at all. Grab one with some bells and whistles and I’m betting you’ll be pretty happy.

Good luck with your decision!
Sponsored