2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just wanted to share what mine looks like with others in case they need it or just to discuss

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid Transmission Fluid Blackstone Test Analysis RDT_20240103_2200573202704247572217307
I do a lot of off-road driving to get to my favorite outdoor locations. I decided to do an analysis of my transmission fluid (Motorcraft Mercon ULV) to have a a baseline that I can compare to as time and miles increase. So far I have 8xxx miles on the truck and I got it in late summer
Sponsored

GreyCacti

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Prius prime
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wanted to share what mine looks like with others in case they need it or just to discuss

RDT_20240103_2200573202704247572217307.png
I do a lot of off-road driving to get to my favorite outdoor locations. I decided to do an analysis of my transmission fluid (Motorcraft Mercon ULV) to have a a baseline that I can compare to as time and miles increase. So far I have 8xxx miles on the truck and I got it in late summer
Are there any fluids that can be substitute? Instead of ford, maybe Valvoline or something? I know for the Toyota Priuses they say to use the Toyota ATF, but there are other fluid manufacturers out there.

Techcar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL, 2019 RangerXLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I may have missed it but did you change it out or just do the
Analysis ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Analysis ?
Just took a sample amount and replaced that with fresh fluid. Total was like 0.5L

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Analysis ?
Just took a sample amount and replaced that with fresh fluid. Total was like 0.5L
Viscosity being low compared to normal ATF seems like it'd be expected when it's literally called Ultra Low Viscosity (ULV).
Lol yeah I agree

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't know what any of that means.
Is there a chart of way to simplify that into good/bad?
You can compare it to the column on that right. Anything in bold is abnormal

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Are there any fluids that can be substitute? Instead of ford, maybe Valvoline or something? I know for the Toyota Priuses they say to use the Toyota ATF, but there are other fluid manufacturers out there.
No you have to use OEM specific because the transmission uses the specific viscosity to not only lubricate but (depending on the transmission) as hydrologic power

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're looking pretty good. And, it's always good to have a baseline
Where did you go for the analysis? How much did it cost?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're looking pretty good. And, it's always good to have a baseline
Where did you go for the analysis? How much did it cost?
$45 at Blackstone Labs. You can also send engine oil for analysis

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Viscosity being low compared to normal ATF seems like it'd be expected when it's literally called Ultra Low Viscosity (ULV).
I will vote strongly for ULV primarily due to it's use as a cooling medium for the heat producing electric motors which will be my reason for changing it at greater frequency than recommended. I am in Texas so cold weather is not a particular concern but ULV may be more of a concern in below 0° temps. The use of square wires in the field coils to more tightly wind them making the motors smaller is interesting.

OP
OP
Hardening2753

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will vote strongly for ULV primarily due to it's use as a cooling medium for the heat producing electric motors which will be my reason for changing it at greater frequency than recommended. I am in Texas so cold weather is not a particular concern but ULV may be more of a concern in below 0° temps. The use of square wires in the field coils to more tightly wind them making the motors smaller is interesting.
I agree with you. If you look at the white papers made by the Ford engineers about this transmission they talk about the limiting factor not being the mechanics of the transmission itself, but in fact being the cooling capacity of the transmission radiator and the media.

One thing that's important to note though is that for the hybrid there is a three-way solenoid so if the engine or the battery or the transmission start to overheat it can start routing coolant to the other radiator.

One of the consequences of this is the other systems would not run at optimal temperature but at least a truck has to capacity to mediate overheating

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you. If you look at the white papers made by the Ford engineers about this transmission they talk about the limiting factor not being the mechanics of the transmission itself, but in fact being the cooling capacity of the transmission radiator and the media.

One thing that's important to note though is that for the hybrid there is a three-way solenoid so if the engine or the battery or the transmission start to overheat it can start routing coolant to the other radiator.

One of the consequences of this is the other systems would not run at optimal temperature but at least a truck has to capacity to mediate overheating
Also each motor has its own temp sensor and computer if necessary can limit it use if necessary! If memory serves me well, I believe someone posted that there are around 40 codes just for cooling system.

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not meaning to hijack your thread but…

I’m curious about this three way valve, do you have any more info or sources? I don’t see how a single three port valve would offer this without draining one system and overfilling the other.
Sponsored