First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had my Maverick for around 2.5 weeks, 1200 miles. It's an XLT FX4 with 4K Tow and CP360. We got a good 8 to 10 inches of snow on our property in NE Michigan this week so I got to do some off-road testing.

I must say, it does very well! I've owned a 2005 Ranger FX4, the difference in off-road performance between the two is negligible. Normal mode will totally work in the snow, especially if you select "Low." However, I primarily used the "Sand" drive mode. In that mode, it definitely wants to hold out the gears longer, and it seemed to maybe have a slight rear bias. This was good, the throttle-on oversteer helped rotate the truck. The "Mud/Ruts" mode didn't seem to have too much difference, maybe only slightly less wheel spin. There was a more noticeable difference with that mode when slowly climbing the inclines in our field. We have a couple of 20% to 25% grade hills on the property that I tested this out on.

When it comes to Stability Control, I'm under the impression this is kind of linked in to the off-road modes (the ones that come with FX4). When selecting those modes, the Stability OFF light illuminates on the dash. Then, when pressing the TC button on the center console, a message displays saying "Traction Control Off," as if it was still on. However, the Stability Control would still eventually kick in under certain conditions/slides. I tried pressing and holding the TC button to fully switch off Stability Control, but nothing happened. I'm thinking those drive modes put it into a lighter Stability Control setting. I couldn't find much more about it in the manual.

The Hill Descent Control was cool too. You can hear the ABS clicking away as you're going down a decline.

Overall, I am extremely happy with how it drove! On a side note, I did the 1,000 mile break-in oil change the other day. The FX4 skid plate needs to be fully removed to access the drain plug and filter (that is, if you want to change the oil without making a huge mess on the top-side of the skid). It added a few extra minutes to the job, but my electric impact easily removed the bolts and screws to speed up the process. I used Motorcraft 5W-30.

If you're still waiting for your Maverick, you will NOT be disappointed. It's an amazing truck!

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review 20221119_112857

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review 20221119_143725
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice write up thanks!

Snow tires or OEM?

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had my Maverick for around 2.5 weeks, 1200 miles. It's an XLT FX4 with 4K Tow and CP360. We got a good 8 to 10 inches of snow on our property in NE Michigan this week so I got to do some off-road testing.

I must say, it does very well! I've owned a 2005 Ranger FX4, the difference in off-road performance between the two is negligible. Normal mode will totally work in the snow, especially if you select "Low." However, I primarily used the "Sand" drive mode. In that mode, it definitely wants to hold out the gears longer, and it seemed to maybe have a slight rear bias. This was good, the throttle-on oversteer helped rotate the truck. The "Mud/Ruts" mode didn't seem to have too much difference, maybe only slightly less wheel spin. There was a more noticeable difference with that mode when slowly climbing the inclines in our field. We have a couple of 20% to 25% grade hills on the property that I tested this out on.

When it comes to Stability Control, I'm under the impression this is kind of linked in to the off-road modes (the ones that come with FX4). When selecting those modes, the Stability OFF light illuminates on the dash. Then, when pressing the TC button on the center console, a message displays saying "Traction Control Off," as if it was still on. However, the Stability Control would still eventually kick in under certain conditions/slides. I tried pressing and holding the TC button to fully switch off Stability Control, but nothing happened. I'm thinking those drive modes put it into a lighter Stability Control setting. I couldn't find much more about it in the manual.

The Hill Descent Control was cool too. You can hear the ABS clicking away as you're going down a decline.

Overall, I am extremely happy with how it drove! On a side note, I did the 1,000 mile break-in oil change the other day. The FX4 skid plate needs to be fully removed to access the drain plug and filter. It added a few extra minutes to the job, but my electric impact easily removed the bolts and screws to speed up the process. I used Motorcraft 5W-30.

If you're still waiting for your Maverick, you will NOT be disappointed. It's an amazing truck!

20221119_112857.jpg

20221119_143725.jpg
Almost same options as you on my maverick and experience was pretty much same when it came to the snow, have a mountain road nearby that goes up to over 10,000 feet elevation and at the very top is a steep incline that takes you up to a parking area, this usually doesn’t get plowed so there’s a good amount of snow going up the incline which makes it difficult to get up for some vehicles. Maverick handled it without skipping a beat and just climbed up it as if there was no snow there, even on the stock perellis. I also took it out to a more sand oriented off road experience and I have to say, putting into into sand mode and letting it rip was massive fun as I could easily get it to whip the tail end around in that mode and just out of curiosity when I was doing this I set my display to show the real time AWD information and could actually see the system diverting all the power to the rear wheels. Just did the first oil change myself as well when I reached the 1200 mile mark and used Mobil 1 full synthetic

Sponsored

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Almost same options as you on my maverick and experience was pretty much same when it came to the snow, have a mountain road nearby that goes up to over 10,000 feet elevation and at the very top is a steep incline that takes you up to a parking area, this usually doesn’t get plowed so there’s a good amount of snow going up the incline which makes it difficult to get up for some vehicles. Maverick handled it without skipping a beat and just climbed up it as if there was no snow there, even on the stock perellis. I also took it out to a more sand oriented off road experience and I have to say, putting into into sand mode and letting it rip was massive fun as I could easily get it to whip the tail end around in that mode and just out of curiosity when I was doing this I set my display to show the real time AWD information and could actually see the system diverting all the power to the rear wheels. Just did the first oil change myself as well when I reached the 1200 mile mark and used Mobil 1 full synthetic
Nice! Yes, I was watching the AWD readout on my display too, definitely noticed more going to the rear wheels. Another thing I noticed, if you were in a drift and stayed on the throttle (in Sand Mode), the ESC or TC seemed to not interrupt. But as soon as you lift off, it wants to straighten the truck out. I'm used to the way it was in my Focus ST, where pressing and holding the TC button would fully disable ESC.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! Yes, I was watching the AWD readout on my display too, definitely noticed more going to the rear wheels. Another thing I noticed, if you were in a drift and stayed on the throttle (in Sand Mode), the ESC or TC seemed to not interrupt. But as soon as you lift off, it wants to straighten the truck out. I'm used to the way it was in my Focus ST, where pressing and holding the TC button would fully disable ESC.
Yeah, was a tiny bit disappointed they didn’t at least offer the option to completely disable all the traction control nannies, but hey, maybe forscan can rectify that? I will say I have run into an off road situation where at least on the stock Pirelli tires I couldn’t get up something and that was going up a forest road that ended in having to go up a pretty steep incline covered in about a foot of snow with small to medium sized rocks, it did not like that no matter which mode I put it in….. more so the stock pirellis kept on losing grip

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I use Sand mode to get wheel spin too, especially when I go places I shouldn't. 😎

That Velocity Blue is something in the snow, isn't it?

Here's mine from today.

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review PXL_20221119_183428883

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got my vel. Blue , fx4 on 11/10/2022. So far I have about 800 miles. I got a chance to try mine on a couple inches of snow and some icy roads a few days back. I was happy. It's my first awd vehicle and I was happly surprised by its ability to keep traction on snow and ice.

First I tried some hard braking on ice. The wheels lock and unlock with the antillock brakes. It also skids straight. It did not turn sideways as it skidded. Then as soon as I got near stopped I would hit the gas, not too hard. It accelerates in a straight line on ice also.

I came to a stop sign and poked the gas pedal a little to get some wheel spin. It felt like the front end raised up a little as the front tires spun. Then the back tires kicked in and I moved forward with ease.

This was all on my way home from work at midnight. The truck was only a couple days old so I was pretty careful as I goofed around.

I am totally impressed. I don't get a new truck very often, and Iike my new maverick fx4 a lot.

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review 20221112_100050

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Overall, I am extremely happy with how it drove! On a side note, I did the 1,000 mile break-in oil change the other day. The FX4 skid plate needs to be fully removed to access the drain plug and filter. It added a few extra minutes to the job, but my electric impact easily removed the bolts and screws to speed up the process. I used Motorcraft 5W-30.
looks like you don’t have to take it completely off if you put in a fumoto drain valve….but you would still have to take off the part the goes under the filter. I really wish ford would have went with a cartridge filter that you changed from the top. Maybe someday someone will make a aftermarket plate that has access for the filter.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/update-on-fumoto-drain-plug-new-one-works.19362/

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review 1668917915930

Sponsored
OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
looks like you don’t have to take it completely off if you put in a fumoto drain valve….but you would still have to take off the part the goes under the filter. I really wish ford would have went with a cartridge filter that you changed from the top. Maybe someday someone will make a aftermarket plate that has access for the filter.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/update-on-fumoto-drain-plug-new-one-works.19362/

1668917915930.jpeg
Yes, I'm surprised there's no access panel in the skid, even just to get to the drain plug. At least the skid isn't too hard to remove, though!

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the 1,000 mile oil change for the gas, the hybrid, or both ?
Unsure, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The oil that came out of mine looked pretty good though. I thought it would've looked worse.

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice reviews
Man this sucks well kinda
I've been reading on this form for quite awhile since I ordered last Jan.
This is prob the best thread I have read about the all wheel drive and diffent modes... Just by what I read u can tell u guys had some fun playing in the snow and sand....
I just got a email after doing a reorder to a 23 at the beginning of this month for it saying Dec 19 to be scheduled for production with a vin#.. So I'm hoping for a early Jan production build date. If I'm lucky and that say happens and holds (I know the holidays might push that back) that the earliest I could see the truck is end of Jan.. But that would prob depend on a shipping miracle. Most likely I will prob see it some time at the end of Feb or in March...
Have a xlt alto blue fx4 lux ordered
Every time I get a different vehicle I alway play around in the snow with it so see how it will react... Sliding, hard breaking, and accelerating... It's always fun getting to know what it's going to do and when.... My wife hates it.... She always says "ur just playing around" ... I have to tell her "just go back to playing ur game on ur phone".
Sponsored