First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in Texas now so don't know why it matters, but if the sand mode was a 10, what would you rate standard low as?
Sponsored

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in Texas now so don't know why it matters, but if the sand mode was a 10, what would you rate standard low as?
I'd rate it around an 8 probably. Definitely is good, but the rear bias in Sand Mode just makes it that much better. And in Normal Mode in Low, you have full ESC working against any drifts or slides that you do.

Deed3774

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deider
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Ford maverick lariat 2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's for anyone who feels the need to do so that prematurely. It's not required or suggested by the manufacturer, and very rarely if ever by dealers.
exactly, I don’t really see a point in changing new oil out for newer oil.

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
exactly, I don’t really see a point in changing new oil out for newer oil.
It's all personal preference at the end of the day. I just feel better about doing it, sometimes the initial break-in of an engine can get the oil dirtier much quicker.

With that being said, the oil that came out of it at 1,000 miles looked pretty good. I probably could've just left it, but the $50 and peace of mind was worth it to me. I plan on keeping my Mav for years and years to come.

Haggs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, Maverick, 1981 Yamaha Midnight Maxim
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's all personal preference at the end of the day. I just feel better about doing it, sometimes the initial break-in of an engine can get the oil dirtier much quicker.

With that being said, the oil that came out of it at 1,000 miles looked pretty good. I probably could've just left it, but the $50 and peace of mind was worth it to me. I plan on keeping my Mav for years and years to come.
I'm with you. I always get an oil change in the first 1000 miles. Engine building has come a long way, but all those moving parts are trying to mesh together during the break in period. The oil may look good, as in light in color, but that doesn't mean there's not fine metal particles in it. $50 well spent IMO.

Sponsored

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did my first oil change at 2500 for basically the same reason to get rid of any particles that had appeared in New engine getting used. I'm aware that all new engines have actually been ran for awhile before installation to mitigate this but better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How are you liking those wildpeaks this year? I had that same tire as my last set on my Dodge. First winter, absolutely amazing. No stopping them. 2nd winter with about 25k miles on them, they were horrible for winter driving. More than 1/2" of snow or any mud and they were like wearing ice skates. Got almost 60k miles out of them so no complaints there but worthless after some wear for winter traction. Switched to the Wildpeak M/Ts this year to see how they do.
While I haven't had any real snow to deal with yet I have had a few time with freezing rain and ice and the tires seem to be handling it with no problems I had to pass some people during the storm on Friday cause they were doing 20 under and I couldn't stand driving that slow when I didn't have to (speed limit was 45) so I went out around them and the truck handled the roads at 45 on that road and between 50 and 60 on the main ones afterwards. That may be more of a testament to the truck than the tires though haha

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got 12-15 inches of snow here, very light powder.

Local road was very deep with drifts.
  1. Maverick clearance sucks for deep snow, the front is like a square plow on the front :) More like driving a car.
  2. Stock FX4 tires are not real snow tires. Not a surprise right? :)
  3. In the deep stuff you may need to use sand mode as others mentioned.
  4. Almost got stuck but barely made it though
  5. Neighbors 4 runner and CRV did better on the same road than maverick.
  6. Slippery mode is good for the roads with compact snow/ice especially when leaving a stop sign.
So nothing much new to report. My old Honda Element was better in the deep snow.

In my mind Maverick needs a 2” lift and some bigger more aggressive tires for snow this deep.

OP
OP
matmondro

matmondro

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1. Maverick clearance sucks for deep snow, the front is like a square plow on the front :) More like driving a car.
  6. Slippery mode is good for the roads with compact snow/ice especially when leaving a stop sign.
So nothing much new to report. My old Honda Element was better in the deep snow.

In my mind Maverick needs a 2” lift and some bigger more aggressive tires for snow this deep.
I totally agree on the tires. Wish it had some better tires, I'm just too cheap to buy new ones right now LOL.

Reactions: bgn

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sounds like you should have gotten the Tremor.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you should have gotten the Tremor.
Wouldn’t have helped, the tires and clearance were the issue not the drivetrain. Tremor has a little bit extra clearance but you really need a real truck for the deep stuff. Neighbors CRV mostly did better as it had more aggressive tires. I probably would have done much better with aggressive tires, but still pushing a lot of snow in the front.

For snow like this really need aggressive tread pattern. Stock tires did fine on compact snow ice but in the deeper stuff that was almost like sand the tread just got packed. This is what they looked like in the parking lot when I arrived at work.

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 Snow-Wheeling Review 704BAFEE-34CB-49AE-B653-1453BAAE7CE8

All that to say if you live somewhere that gets big time snow get some better tires :) 2” Lift wouldn’t hurt either

Last edited:

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wouldn’t have helped, the tires and clearance were the issue not the drivetrain. Tremor has a little bit extra clearance but you really need a real truck for the deep stuff. Neighbors CRV mostly did better as it had more aggressive tires. I probably would have done much better with aggressive tires, but still pushing a lot of snow in the front.

For snow like this really need aggressive tread pattern. Stock tires did fine on compact snow ice but in the deeper stuff that was almost like sand the tread just got packed. This is what they looked like in the parking lot when I arrived at work.

704BAFEE-34CB-49AE-B653-1453BAAE7CE8.jpeg

All that to say if you live somewhere that gets big time snow get some better tires :) 2” Lift would hurt either
Wildpeak tires do well in deep snow. But yes clearance wise 2" puc lift would be ideal

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost