Sponsored

Maverick competitors: What will you be cross-shopping?

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alpha, an EV startup, just announced that they're building a truly small pickup called the Alpha Wolf. It reminds me of an old Toyota SR5, and frankly it looks so damn good that I'll probably have to wait for more details on the Wolf before I'd pull the trigger on a Maverick.

Obviously a full EV is going to be more expensive than the Maverick, but with that near-perfect design (in my eyes) and the 250+ mile range they're talking, I'd probably buy this before anything else on the market (or coming to the market soon). Just have to see how serious and capable this company is about building and selling vehicles.

EDIT to ADD: Starting MSRP US $36,000 to US $46,000 (from the company's website).

https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf
Well damn!!! That truck looks incredible! Love the 80s vibe. Once I don’t need to lug car seats around I’m looking at something like this! My mind is blown.

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alpha Wolf: LENGTH - 4765mm (188in) | WIDTH - 1930mm (76in) | HEIGHT - 1685mm (66in)

The length and height may be short, but it sure isn't narrow. I don't know if that 76" includes the mirrors or not, but I guess it doesn't matter because those ridiculous fenders stick out as far as the mirrors anyway.

I was more excited about the Maverick before I saw the 74" width. I guess what I am cross-shopping it against is doing whatever it takes to keep my 68" wide '01 S10 on the road. The Transit Connect and some godforsaken SUV are also options. I've even considered something like the Honda Fit and renting a full size truck when I need a truck. If they hadn't made it so ugly. The first gen looked better when they just let it be the miniminivan that it is.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alpha Wolf: LENGTH - 4765mm (188in) | WIDTH - 1930mm (76in) | HEIGHT - 1685mm (66in)

The length and height may be short, but it sure isn't narrow. I don't know if that 76" includes the mirrors or not, but I guess it doesn't matter because those ridiculous fenders stick out as far as the mirrors anyway.

I was more excited about the Maverick before I saw the 74" width. I guess what I am cross-shopping it against is doing whatever it takes to keep my 68" wide '01 S10 on the road. The Transit Connect and some godforsaken SUV are also options. I've even considered something like the Honda Fit and renting a full size truck when I need a truck. If they hadn't made it so ugly. The first gen looked better when they just let it be the miniminivan that it is.
Heh, I love the Wolf, own a Transit Connect and only recently sold my first gen Honda Fit. I see we both have a soft sport for utilitarian vehicles.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nope ...I want front wheel drive (unibody rear wheel drive doesn’t work for me) to bust some Ricer Butt....;)
Weight transfer works better on RWD because the front wheels on FWD vehicles tend to unload under hard acceleration because of weight transfer to the rear which is why V8 muscle cars are quick to plant the rear tires, and its even better with AWD which is why Nissan Skylines , and the old GMC Syclones are so damn fast. Your pushing and pulling at the same time. I'm Going 2.0T AWD gonna drop it 2" add lighter weight allow wheels, intake, exhaust, and a tune and be done with it.

As far as cross shopping. Ummm nope. I really liked and looked at a 2 door bronco. Wasnt too happy with it when I sat in it. Mavericks only competitors are the honda ridgeline (too expensive) hyundai santa cruz ( really bizarre looking, too expensive). So nope, theres no competition on this one. Ford owns this game. GM is going all electric, so anything they may come out with, I'm not interested. Chrysler has a similar pickup made in italy as a fiat. I doubt they will bring it stateside. Not a fan of fiat anyways.

I probably wont be ready to trade in my DD for one until 2023 model year. I really hoped th interior plastics would have been a neutral dark charcoal gray on all the interior plastics instead on the dark navy blue (fleet vehicle blue) as a dark charcoal would go really good with all of the offered exterior colors, but the dark navy blue tends to clash with the red, and orange and is iffy on some of the other offered colors. Hopefully some ford marketing people are reading these forums.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JTCC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Juno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid and 12 motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Alpha, an EV startup, just announced that they're building a truly small pickup called the Alpha Wolf. It reminds me of an old Toyota SR5, and frankly it looks so damn good that I'll probably have to wait for more details on the Wolf before I'd pull the trigger on a Maverick.

Obviously a full EV is going to be more expensive than the Maverick, but with that near-perfect design (in my eyes) and the 250+ mile range they're talking, I'd probably buy this before anything else on the market (or coming to the market soon). Just have to see how serious and capable this company is about building and selling vehicles.

EDIT to ADD: Starting MSRP US $36,000 to US $46,000 (from the company's website).

https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf

Necroposting a little here as this thread hasn't been active in a while, but curious if anyone has heard anything about the Wolf lately. I think back in January they were talking about a release late 2023. If the prices haven't changed, with the $7500 federal rebate, the Alpha Motors Wolf will be very competitive with the Maverick for Price (lower trim Wolf less than Lariat Maverick).

With my Maverick looking dead in the water for MY2023 and destined to roll over... The wolf sounds tempting... if it will ever be built.

Trusting reliability on a brand new manufacturer will be a con too... Look at Tesla, still one of the most unreliable brands out there and they've been around a while now.

Still, Wolf checks all the boxes. Cheap, electric,.practical. As a bonus, it's probably the coolest looking truck Ive seen too. (Not that I care that much about appearance... But I do love how it looks).

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alpha Motors is regarded as mostly a venture capital scam. They have lots of concepts, but much to do with the company as far as people involved or production is shrouded in secrecy.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found it really interesting in the "Make or Break Specs" thread to see all the different ways folks wanted to configure/use the Maverick. It made me wander what other vehicles you thought that you'd be cross shopping as I expect there is a spectrum.

For me:

Tier 1:
New Ranger (if it comes in a hybrid/PHEV trim especially)
PHEV Gladiator (the Wrangler Unlimited has a 4xe version that's cool, but now only comes on high trims and so is expensive)

Tier 2:
As of yet unreleased Hyundai Santa Cruz - another unibody small truck, but I suspect the bed will be too small
Honda Ridgeline - Seems nice and a fit for my needs, but a bit low on efficiency for what it is

Tier 3:
Chevy Colorado - Doesn't seem to have a hybrid on the horizon
Subaru Outback - About the off road capability I need, but less capacity than my current van
Wrangler Unlimited 4xE

Tier 4:
Full size trucks/SUVs

Obviously the other option is if I don't see anything ideal for me, I could punt and buy a cheap, used rough road capable vehicle and just use it for a few years until the hybrid small truck/upper middle SUV segment matures, but I don't consider that direct cross shopping.
How about option #5: NONE-OF-THE-ABOVE

All of your above Tiers are either too long to fit in my garage, too expensive or non-existent. Some are all three.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Alpha Motors is regarded as mostly a venture capital scam. They have lots of concepts, but much to do with the company as far as people involved or production is shrouded in secrecy.

The fact they don't have a concrete model built does lend credence that they could be vaporware, or further away than they claim for release.

They do let you pre-reserve without putting money down though. Which, would think if purely a scam they would be taking money.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They do let you pre-reserve without putting money down though. Which, would think if purely a scam they would be taking money.
Customer money is nothing. But reservations lets them claim they have a deep roster of preorders to go after the big fish: investors who will throw hundreds of thousands to millions at them.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Customer money is nothing. But reservations lets them claim they have a deep roster of preorders to go after the big fish: investors who will throw hundreds of thousands to millions at them.
"Look, we have hundreds of thousands of 'reservations', if only we had the funding to build them then we could easily sell at least that many!"

Yep.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How about option #5: NONE-OF-THE-ABOVE

All of your above Tiers are either too long to fit in my garage, too expensive or non-existent. Some are all three.
I mean, sure? The whole point of the thread was to create your own list.

That post gives my own list from almost two years ago (5 months before the Maverick was even officially announced). Once the Santa Cruz was released, it was off my list for the reason I mentioned - it's bed was just a bit too small for carrying multiple mountain bikes over the tailgate or a small motorcycle (with the tailgate down). The Wrangler 4xE is expensive/gets bad gas mileage when not on battery), so I ordered a Maverick this month. Then never made a PHEV Gladiator or Ranger, plus my dad got an ICE Gladiator and I don't love it.

The one contender that did emerge was the Rivian R1T. It's midway in size between the Maverick and F150 Lightning. Obviously it's much more expensive than the Maverick, but it's fully electric with good range, off road abilities, performance, and a useful frunk. We put a $1000 deposit down, but it's totally unclear when we might possibly be offered the chance to actually buy one and Rivian has messed with the price several times (first just raising it then backing off for pre-order holders, then getting rid of the base trim to force people to upgrade in the name of "streamlining production".

Last edited:

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
I mean, sure? The whole point of the thread was to create your own list.

That post gives my own list from almost two years ago (5 months before the Maverick was even officially announced). Neither a PHEV Gladiator nor hybrid/plugin hybrid Ranger emerged, so I ordered a Maverick this Fall. Plus my father bought a regular ICE Gladiator and I didn't love it.

Once the Santa Cruz was released, it was off my list for the reason I mentioned - it's bed was just a bit too small for carrying multiple mountain bikes over the tailgate or a small motorcycle (with the tailgate down). The Wrangler 4xE is expensive/gets bad gas mileage when not on battery), so I ordered a Maverick this month. Then never made a PHEV Gladiator or Ranger, plus my dad got an ICE Gladiator and I don't love it.

The one contender that did emerge was the Rivian R1T. It's midway in size between the Maverick and F150 Lightning. Obviously it's much more expensive than the Maverick, but it's fully electric with good range, off road abilities, performance, and a useful frunk. We put a $1000 deposit down, but it's totally unclear when we might possibly be offered the chance to actually buy one and Rivian has messed with the price several times (first just raising it then backing off for pre-order holders, then getting rid of the base trim to force people to upgrade in the name of "streamlining production".

If money wasn't an issue, it's the Rivian for me, for sure. Other than the Rivian, the only trucks that compete don't really exist yet, or are potentially just vaporware.

Nothing on the market directly competes with the Maverick at this price point. Or rather, no truck. The biggest competitor in my mind, and I still haven't ruled out, is a Honda Civic with a tow hitch and a trailer. Similar price and can be used for a lot of the same light duties I has envisioned for my Maverick. Other manufacturers need to hurry up and come out with a real Maverick TRUCK competitor soon!

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's Ford or nothing. I had a F150 and multiple F450-F550's. Don't need anything that big. Not a fan of the mid size Ranger at all. Maverick seems perfect for my current needs, 99% of my driving is city, so only Hybrid makes sense. I did cross shop XL, XLT, and Lariat though. Ordered an XL, because I like black seats, and whatever wheels that came on it would be changed anyway. It makes the most sense.
Sponsored