First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took a marine access plate and located it directly under the oil filter. I have an oil drain valve, but could not install it without the extension (which I now have). Plans are to be able to reach up and open the valve which will have a drain tube. I have an old shade tree mechanic habit of painting any upgrades on my rig, and when the whole thing is a new color, time to replace it or chrome it, LOL.

Ford Maverick Maverick 2.0 oil change access without removing undercover (by installing marine access plate) 1706978189749
Ford Maverick Maverick 2.0 oil change access without removing undercover (by installing marine access plate) 1706978226294
Ford Maverick Maverick 2.0 oil change access without removing undercover (by installing marine access plate) 1706978269044
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like it!!! I’m gonna do it! Thanks for posting

OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like it!!! I’m gonna do it! Thanks for posting
I had several of these access plates, and decided on the larger one. (You know the monkey trap where he won't let go of the 'OIL FILTER' in the jug :) ) and have it unscrew to the TOP, and slide out of the way, maybe on an attaching cord so it can not vibrate loose and fall off. Your call....

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow!! My first oil change will include doing this so the entire plate doesn't have to be removed from then onward! Wonderful job! If you could let us know which drain plug you bought, that would be great!

OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow!! My first oil change will include doing this so the entire plate doesn't have to be removed from then onward! Wonderful job! If you could let us know which drain plug you bought, that would be great!
I used the Fumoto: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBB96PJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But it will not clear to install without the extension:
adapter ADP-137
Here is a tutorial: (I just grabbed one...there are several, and I didn't watch this one)

Sponsored

MichaelG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't really see an advantage here
I agree. It's 14-15 bolts to drop the panel. it is a PITA but you still need to check for leaks, CV joints, brakes, debris on the panel, and the cost of the parts if you don't have them hanging around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't really see an advantage here
No problem with a little disagreement on this.... if you don't mind pulling all those connectors and dropping the cover, have at it. One twist and I am there, but to each his own.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No problem with a little disagreement on this.... if you don't mind pulling all those connectors and dropping the cover, have at it. One twist and I am there, but to each his own.
I understand where you are coming from. I cut a hole in my 2015 Prius to make it easier. It's a Hybrid thing I guess. After the first two oil changes of having to unscrew so many screws, just cutting a hole (I cut 3 corners, bent the plastic to make it have its own hinge and a clip to close) made it better. Easy in and out.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What size diameter? 8 inch?

Sponsored
OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bob, the removable plates come in all sizes. I think that mine is 8 inches. I have small hands, but wanted to be able to remove the oil filter while holding it. Also, I want a big enough opening that I can reach around and open the oil drain valve.

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

I took a marine access plate and located it directly under the oil filter. I have an oil drain valve, but could not install it without the extension (which I now have). Plans are to be able to reach up and open the valve which will have a drain tube. I have an old shade tree mechanic habit of painting any upgrades on my rig, and when the whole thing is a new color, time to replace it or chrome it, LOL.

1706978189749.jpeg
1706978226294.jpeg
1706978269044.jpeg
Pretty darn nefty
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Engine
Undecided

1706978189749.jpeg
1706978226294.jpeg
1706978269044.jpeg
I've never understood the desire to do this or using oil extractors from above.

When doing an oil change, its the time to look everything over so you can catch small problems before they become big ones.

I'll get called out for this, but if you're looking for the quick easy way for things like an oil change, I'd say DIY maintenance isn't in your best interest.

Wife's brand new Outback had a leak from the factory, would have never found it if I was lazy.
OB has ports for drain and filter, still took the belly pan off and looked around. Found the leak, cleaned it and checked on it before next change. Got fixed before it became a much bigger leak.

OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As I said, no problem with those who want to drop the pan for whatever reason. If you should believe that frequent oil/filter changes are a plus, (and want to reach up and feel around for leaks or parts that fell off), then here is a way to go about it. To each Mav-ster his own!
Sponsored