OP

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Well, here is hoping that someone at Ford reads this thread and thinks "There are folks out there that want basic, dependable, inexpensive trucks. A manual transmission can contribute to all those things. Toyota only lets you have a manual on the TRD Pro (expensive) Tacoma and people buy those. Maybe we could sell some less expensive compact trucks with a manual and poach some of Toyota's sales"

Just maybe there might even be some folks who currently choose the Mazda 3 hatchback or Subaru Impreza hatchback because they offer a manual that would go for a manual transmission compact truck if it was fun to drive.
Sponsored

Clyde Fromona

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
Lost my 1996 Ranger 5 speed manual 4x4 2 years ago. Settled on an S10 while waiting for new Ranger.
Disappointed with Ranger/Almost an F150.
It was fun to drive my manual 4x4 '96 Ranger.
I find myself shifting down my automatic S10 to save my brakes like a manual.
Maverick should be a truck I can teach my grand daughter to drive a manual.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I’m 32. Could care less about a manual. Tried to learn how to drive one at 16 and realized how silly it was compared to the automatic.

Cars/trucks get me from A to B. That’s all I care about. Automatic does me just fine, just like 90% of consumers.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Manual transmission" = = "Anti-theft Device"

I have a 5-speed Ranger that will be here as long as me. I keep finding my left foot searching for the clutch pedal regularly.

A manual will not get cooked seals and scorched clutches/steels. It may get whiney if the lube runs low and the bearings get damaged, but likely will never strand you on the side of the road when the pump shaft splines evaporate(Escape CD4E).
I would like some gee-whiz to come up with more controls for the transmission, to start in 2nd gear, to lock into gear, to enable downshift or downhill engine braking. It's all electronic, so should not be much of a reach...
tom

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I learned to drive in the early 1960's on a farm grade pickup, I've had a number of stick shift cars and motorcycles over the years, and I totally get how to drive with a clutch, but...

The last time I voluntarily drove a manual transmission was in a miles long traffic jam and my left leg informed me that I wasn't having any fun, wasn't saving money, and the whole stick shift thing was just dumb. Current automatic transmissions are 147 million times better than prehistoric two speed power-glides and clutches are expensive to replace too. I'm really happy that all of you KISS folks have mastered the art of starting on an incline but why would you even have to know that trick?

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I refuse to accept it. The aftermarket makes manuals. If Ford wont build us one, I will do it in 15 years once the factory drivetrain is shot. Assuming the body survives the island life. There are options, Im sure some one knows how to squeeze a focus motor and trans in there. If not the body was designed with a driveshaft tunnel and thats all I need to go longitudinal. My AMC Eagle had the floor pan cut and reformed to accomodate its transfer case. Just remake the floor a bit design a crossmember and swap in the 2.3/7speed from the Bronco. Maybe the front diff and some front suspension bits. By that time the technology will be so advanced that getting the computers to work together will be as easy as a Nutter Bypass on a CJ7.

Imagine a 350hp, manual transmission Maverick, with a long(er) travel front end, a modified/beefed 3" rear lift kit, and 33" tires.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Imagine a 350hp, manual transmission Maverick, with a long(er) travel front end, a modified/beefed 3" rear lift kit, and 33" tires.
That's kind of pissing on everything the Maverick is, isn't it? The whole point of the vehicle seems to be restraint on all fronts.

Azul93GT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09'Escape LTD, 04' Ranger Edge, a couple of Fox
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
... manuals simply last much longer; I will not be persuaded otherwise.

I like driving a manual much better too, and yes, I used to brave NYC traffic on a daily basis with a manual.
I like manual trans too, but soon they will all but disappear from the domestic car market. Even the muscle cars are going away from manuals. These new modern auto trans are just too good.

Last edited:

JRoddi.

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Another reason most Manual Transmission
are not as efficient as the automatics.
Not worth manufacturing now unless it's sports car.
I'd have to see the stats on efficiency to be convinced of that.
I believe it is a case of demand and universal fitment across multiple models that is considered more advantageous amongst Ford and other manufacturers, honestly.

JRoddi.

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
When I was shopping for a truck I did look at the Colorado with the Manual but the dealers around me did not even have one in stock to look at and drive. I would have had to order it and the dealer was not "enthusiastic" about ordering a manual.
Whiners.

Sponsored

TheRef

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As someone that has owned over 20 cars with a manual transmission, and someone who LOVES manual transmissions, I have accepted the truth that the manual is dead. Right now the only choice for a truck with a manual is the Jeep Gladiator...but then you're stuck driving a Jeep Gladiator.
Actually Toyota Tacoma is still offered with a manual transmission- if you can afford it!!

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd have to see the stats on efficiency to be convinced of that.
I don't have it in front of me, but traditional transmissions overtook manual transmission in fuel efficiency in consumer vehicles, on average, sometime in the late 2000s, and have rapidly outpaced them ever since. Modern CVTs (Of any type) and even high-gear count automatics have utterly destroyed manuals.

I've seen people say this is only true because companies stopped innovating manual transmissions in the early 2000s, but that just begs the question "What exactly are you supposed to innovate on a system that's primary appeal is that a human being does 90% of the work?"

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The federal gov.'s 2025 mandates for more efficient MPG had to have an influence on use/trend for vehicle manufacturers towards automatic transmissions. A software driven automatic transmission, especially on EV vehicles, on a drive train will always shift faster, more efficient and more MPG friendly...proven over and over.

I admit, I miss my Porsche PDK automatic manual (to the left) but as an automatic it allowed the driver to paddle shift or gear shift up or down...and let you think it was like a manual transmission...but if you leave it alone it always shifts faster than the driver at down and up shifting if left in automatic mode. If you are at 80 miles an hour in a Maverick and press the brakes hard, you will find the automatic greatly contributing engine braking/ stopping power., that is not there in a manual transmission. There is a reason 83% of the Porsche sales last year were, by (performance oriented) customer choice, automatics (PDK).

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's kind of pissing on everything the Maverick is, isn't it? The whole point of the vehicle seems to be restraint on all fronts.
Im guessing you bought the hybrid. MPG had nothing to do with my vehicle choice and never will. Gas is about half the price of bottled water even at $5/gal. I see a innovative vehicle with with smart styling and a Im not like every other boring car attitude.
Sponsored