Manual Transmission

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Walking the dog yesterday and there was a mid 80s Dodge Dakota parked on the street. Looked to be a base model with a 5 speed manual and two wheel drive. Have you noticed that those are the trucks, the basic ones, that survive? Those are the trucks people keep for 35 or more years?

Seems to me that Ford should be looking at offering a manual transmission. Of course I'd also love to see a plug in hybrid version. If I had to bet on one of those, I'd bet we see the plug in hybrid drive train from the Escape and don't see a manual.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Walking the dog yesterday and there was a mid 80s Dodge Dakota parked on the street. Looked to be a base model with a 5 speed manual and two wheel drive. Have you noticed that those are the trucks, the basic ones, that survive? Those are the trucks people keep for 35 or more years?

Seems to me that Ford should be looking at offering a manual transmission. Of course I'd also love to see a plug in hybrid version. If I had to bet on one of those, I'd bet we see the plug in hybrid drive train from the Escape and don't see a manual.
there's 2 simple reasons they don't offer manuals anymore: 1 is you need an auto to have select-able driving modes and crawl mode type features that lets a computer do the braking, set slow engine speed automatically, and traction/hill descent control. #2 reason is very few people in the younger generations ever learn to drive a stick- if they're even interested in driving at all- and they just prefer using a driving service to get around with no expenses and responsibilities of owning a vehicle.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Another reason most Manual Transmission
are not as efficient as the automatics.
Not worth manufacturing now unless it's sports car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Every drivetrain configuration has to be EPA certified, a process that takes millions of dollars. Companies won't offer manuals if they're not even sure they can recover the certification cost.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
As someone that has owned over 20 cars with a manual transmission, and someone who LOVES manual transmissions, I have accepted the truth that the manual is dead. Right now the only choice for a truck with a manual is the Jeep Gladiator...but then you're stuck driving a Jeep Gladiator.

Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Only in the SR trim as a base model with 159hp 4 cylinder. No thanks.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone that has owned over 20 cars with a manual transmission, and someone who LOVES manual transmissions, I have accepted the truth that the manual is dead. Right now the only choice for a truck with a manual is the Jeep Gladiator...but then you're stuck driving a Jeep Gladiator.
I think you summed it up perfectly. I also have had several cars with manual transmissions over the years since I first learned to drive almost 30 years ago. I have been wanting a convertible as an extra car to enjoy in the summer months and I recently purchased a 2015 Beetle convertible with a manual transmission. It's a really fun car but I'm convinced that it's likely going to be the last manual transmission car I own because they are getting closer & closer to extinction. Finding this car in a manual took several months of searching. I also considered a Mustang convertible but when I test drove one I found the seats to be very uncomfortable and actually painful because my back would hurt badly if I sat in them for extended periods of time.

OP
OP

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
there's 2 simple reasons they don't offer manuals anymore: 1 is you need an auto to have select-able driving modes and crawl mode type features that lets a computer do the braking, set slow engine speed automatically, and traction/hill descent control. #2 reason is very few people in the younger generations ever learn to drive a stick- if they're even interested in driving at all- and they just prefer using a driving service to get around with no expenses and responsibilities of owning a vehicle.
I think you are right about newer drivers never learning the manual. And all the modern gadgets requiring the computer to have control for the transmission functions.

But, my real point was about simplicity. That Dakota I mentioned barely even had any controls for the heater. I'm hoping the Maverick will offer a trim level that just has the basics: 2wd, no drive modes, nothing that claims to be self driving. You know, everything you need and nothing you don't. Not because I'm cheap, but because I like simple. Maybe I'm just hearkening back to the 1994 Mazda B2300 (actually a Ford Ranger) that I bought new. That truck went 120,000 miles on the original clutch even though we used to load it so full of firewood the frame rested on the bump stops. But hey I don't do firewood anymore and I'm sure the Maverick will be a much better vehicle.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you are right about newer drivers never learning the manual. And all the modern gadgets requiring the computer to have control for the transmission functions.

But, my real point was about simplicity. That Dakota I mentioned barely even had any controls for the heater. I'm hoping the Maverick will offer a trim level that just has the basics: 2wd, no drive modes, nothing that claims to be self driving. You know, everything you need and nothing you don't. Not because I'm cheap, but because I like simple. Maybe I'm just hearkening back to the 1994 Mazda B2300 (actually a Ford Ranger) that I bought new. That truck went 120,000 miles on the original clutch even though we used to load it so full of firewood the frame rested on the bump stops. But hey I don't do firewood anymore and I'm sure the Maverick will be a much better vehicle.
I hear you loud & clear. I'm a life long practitioner of the K.I.S.S. principal. All indications are that lowest MSRP "base" model will have 2WD (FWD), smallest engine (likely I-3), small steel wheels, plain paint job (and few standard color choices), no tow or other add on capability packages, no fancy infotainment center or up level interior or exterior touches, etc., probably even rubber floor and cheapest seat material. All that other stuff will be part of upgrade-able option packages. In addition to being a fleet level "strippy" as my dealer calls them, I just really need a low step in height at the tailgate and a bed long enough to hold motorcycles safely. We currently own a 2018 F-150 "Sport" with minimal standard equipment, but the thing sits higher than we like. Considering adding a cab step now since we are both in our 60's with back issues and I can't even get my dirt bikes in/out without a helper. Really makes me long for the days of my 1964 Falcon Ranchero with 289 V8, manual trans, manual everything inside and perfect size for everything I needed to use the bed for- including the motorcycles. I had 4 Rangers between 1987 and 2006 and they worked fine too, but you had to really look to find 1 that wasn't all tarted up with options I never wanted anyways.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish that Ford would offer a manual in the Maverick; although there maybe an exception or two, manuals simply last much longer; I will not be persuaded otherwise.

I like driving a manual much better too, and yes, I used to brave NYC traffic on a daily basis with a manual.

Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I’m now seriously considering a Tacoma TRD Sport with 6-speed manual. I’ll wait and see what the Maverick offers, but if there is no manual option (and I doubt there will be) I’m gonna get me a Taco. Yes, it’s more money, but nothing beats a manual.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m now seriously considering a Tacoma TRD Sport with 6-speed manual. I’ll wait and see what the Maverick offers, but if there is no manual option (and I doubt there will be) I’m gonna get me a Taco. Yes, it’s more money, but nothing beats a manual.
Now that you mention it, that Tacoma sounds like it'd be a helluva fun truck to drive. I am tall, and if not for the seating position, I would have included the Tacoma in my search.

There's an unconfirmed rumor floating around, that the next generation Ranger will get the Bronco's seven speed manual.

I don't get the aversion to manual's, given the fact that Europe still drives them, and many of today's vehicles are based upon global platforms. Yes...I realize that the manufacturer has to stock (manual) parts (that they would not otherwise have to warehouse), and that that costs money, but I think this is more a matter of: "the profit margin is padded with an automatic, so lets stock automatics."

"The Colorado sold so few manuals, that GM discontinued the manual transmission option"

I think some of that has to do with how a prospective customer is steered during the sales process; salespeople (obviously) will sell higher trim vehicles to pad their profit margins.

(prospective customer) "I want a manual"

(salesperson's mind) 'the only manual's we stock are base models; profit is really thin on these models'

(said to the prospective customer) "Does your Wife drive a manual?"

(prospective customer) "No"

(salesperson) "So wouldn't you want to buy a vehicle that you can both drive? How do you know she'd even want to learn how to drive a manual"

(prospective customer) "You've got a point there"

Over time, people were steered to automatics, such that manual transmissions became near obsolete.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now that you mention it, that Tacoma sounds like it'd be a helluva fun truck to drive. I am tall, and if not for the seating position, I would have included the Tacoma in my search.
they are known for very uncomfortable seating position for everyone. Step in and bed height too high along with premium $ for the Toyota name killed that option for me.

There's an unconfirmed rumor floating around, that the next generation Ranger will get the Bronco's seven speed manual.
Actually, the NEXT generation Ranger is riding on the exact same platform as current generation- with tweaks. They currently only come with the 10 spd auto which is a good tranny. Don't expect that to change.... unless maybe an option for Raptor version later.

I don't get the aversion to manual's, given the fact that Europe still drives them, and many of today's vehicles are based upon global platforms. Yes...I realize that the manufacturer has to stock (manual) parts (that they would not otherwise have to warehouse), and that that costs money, but I think this is more a matter of: "the profit margin is padded with an automatic, so lets stock automatics."

"The Colorado sold so few manuals, that GM discontinued the manual transmission option"

I think some of that has to do with how a prospective customer is steered during the sales process; salespeople (obviously) will sell higher trim vehicles to pad their profit margins.

(salesperson's mind) 'the only manual's we stock are base models; profit is really thin on these models'

(salesperson) "So wouldn't you want to buy a vehicle that you can both drive? How do you know she'd even want to learn how to drive a manual"

Over time, people were steered to automatics, such that manual transmissions became near obsolete.
colorful imaginary conversations aside, as previously mentioned generations after the baby boomers were not taught to drive sticks and in many cases have very little desire to even learn how to drive at all (my youngest brother for example) and since advent of internet and cell phones they want/expect everything to come EASY in their lives: ride shares, food delivery, live in mom's basement until you're 30 and then only move to your forever house instead of a starter and moving up later, never take a menial 1st job- just start at $100K no matter what your education or skills and on and on. Even CAR purchased on line and never inspected or test driven delivered on a flat bed to your house!

that makes NO sense to me, I have to research a potential new sale, test drive it for fit and comfort, handling, etc. and get idea of best price to pay before my purchase.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
they are known for very uncomfortable seating position for everyone. Step in and bed height too high along with premium $ for the Toyota name killed that option for me.

Actually, the NEXT generation Ranger is riding on the exact same platform as current generation- with tweaks. They currently only come with the 10 spd auto which is a good tranny. Don't expect that to change.... unless maybe an option for Raptor version later.

colorful imaginary conversations aside, as previously mentioned generations after the baby boomers were not taught to drive sticks and in many cases have very little desire to even learn how to drive at all (my youngest brother for example) and since advent of internet and cell phones they want/expect everything to come EASY in their lives: ride shares, food delivery, live in mom's basement until you're 30 and then only move to your forever house instead of a starter and moving up later, never take a menial 1st job- just start at $100K no matter what your education or skills and on and on. Even CAR purchased on line and never inspected or test driven delivered on a flat bed to your house!

that makes NO sense to me, I have to research a potential new sale, test drive it for fit and comfort, handling, etc. and get idea of best price to pay before my purchase.
It’s just a Stupid , little driver, utility Vehicle...not an F-350...
Regards

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL

When I was shopping for a truck I did look at the Colorado with the Manual but the dealers around me did not even have one in stock to look at and drive. I would have had to order it and the dealer was not "enthusiastic" about ordering a manual.
Sponsored