First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any suggestions for replacement antenna (longer or larger) to screw directly into the existing roof mount for picking up weak & distant AM/FM?

(Yes, I know about satellite radio and streaming audio over cell... That's not what I'm asking about).
Sponsored

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this normal in your location? (I have no technical knowledge on the subject....just curious)

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this normal in your location? (I have no technical knowledge on the subject....just curious)
I am right on the edge of clean reception from Austin TX for several AM & FM stations I like. Also several AM stations from others cities I can sometimes receive depending on elevation and location as I travel around this rural area. One of my vehicles receives better and one vehicle generally receives less... Just looking for options that might screw directly in the mount on the MAV.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Any suggestions for replacement antenna (longer or larger) to screw directly into the existing roof mount for picking up weak & distant AM/FM?

(Yes, I know about satellite radio and streaming audio over cell... That's not what I'm asking about).
I suspect the thread size is the same as the fender mounted whip on many F150's. And it's my understanding Dodge is the same. Maybe your Silverado also.
Pull the little stubby out of the Mav and find out.
I don't have my Mav yet. ETA is this week. I'll let you know when it comes in.
But yeah, you want wire in the air for better reception. My daughter's boyfriend's truck (totaled) is in the crosshairs for mine.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My experience with my Ranger’s AM reception is phenomenal although there are many complaints about poor reception..

I guess I got lucky.. The best results happen when you optimize the antenna with your receiver’s SWR matching.. more wire just might make it worse or better… maybe I don’t know what I’m saying but I have been an RF Engineer for about 40 years.

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The best AM antenna is not a whip but a loop and could be as long as 30 feet for a full wavelength antenna. The best FM antenna will be about 32 inches long and at least 26 inches. Anything less is not a full wavelength antenna and will have degraded performance. If you think about older cars they usually had some kind of antenna about 32 inches long. I do not have any specific recommendations for a longer antenna to use in this case, but I am sure there are many fairly cheap options available that will work. A trip to the junk yard may yield one.
Yeah 32 inch was for a non-base loaded FM antennas acted like a 74 inch dipole using the vehicle ground plane.

I’m not sure how they base loaded these or how they wrapped the antenna on these guys..

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a kid living in Arizona, I tuned into Wolfman Jack every night on AM radio.

Still love AM radio to this day.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
The best AM antenna is not a whip but a loop and could be as long as 30 feet for a full wavelength antenna. The best FM antenna will be about 32 inches long and at least 26 inches. Anything less is not a full wavelength antenna and will have degraded performance. If you think about older cars they usually had some kind of antenna about 32 inches long. I do not have any specific recommendations for a longer antenna to use in this case, but I am sure there are many fairly cheap options available that will work. A trip to the junk yard may yield one.
You two keyboard experts have little idea what you are talking about. There is no such thing as receiver Standing Wave Ratio. A full wave antenna for AM would be over 160 meters. A full wave loop? Never heard of one for the AM broadcast band. Full wave on FM (100 Mhz) would be just under 3 meters.
Antenna resonance is useful receiving, so the trip to the junk yard is likely wise. But just about anything is probably better than the little coil of wire on the shark fin.

Lorenrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Buick Lesabre

Check out cravenspeed.com…have a couple options with return policy if not satisfied with reception
Sponsored